SL500 R231 - Great Disappointment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jules335

Car
E53 AMG Coupe
I am sorry to say that I have really struggled with the SL500. I just haven't been able to bond with it.

Not sure exactly why, I think it is a number of reasons. I struggle to enjoy driving with the roof down. Although it isn't too windy, it is very noisy, especially at speed. Also, in traffic, road noise and especially diesel vans or lorries driving behind you is not very pleasant.

The car also has numerous creaks and rattles, especially with the roof up. The headlights mist up on the inside nearly every time it rains and when you open the boot when the car is wet, water pours into the boot. I'm sure that some of this could be sorted under warranty but it is not what I expected of an £80K car.

Lastly the fuel consumption is horrendous. Around town it is about 14 mpg. A full tank only does just over 200 miles!

I have no complaints over the performance of the car but on public roads, it is too much really and you just can't use the car to it's full potential.

After a lot of serious thought I have decided to cut my losses and change to a BMW 640 M Sport coupe.

I really like the 640. It just felt right as soon as I drove it. Beautiful interior, everything is finished in nappa leather and it shows how poor the artificial leather in the SL is.

I was really surprised by the engine. I have always been very against diesel but you would never know that this engine was not a petrol. The torque is nearly the same as the SL500 and it drives really well. I have tried Mercedes diesels and they all are very rough and unrefined. The BMW unit is light years ahead in terms of refinement. I just can't ignore the fuel consumption. Even on the run to the BMW dealer which was about 30 miles away, in clear traffic, driving very sedately, the SL500 was only doing 18 mpg. The 640 will do between 40 to 50.

The Satnav and entertainment systems are very advanced compared to Mercedes as well. I maybe a bit biased as I was a life long BMW driver until 3 years ago when I switched to Mercedes but BMW are a long way ahead of Mercedes in this field.

The car has got variable dampers and so the ride was faultless even on 20" wheels. And there wasn't a squeak or rattle to be heard anywhere.

The car I am buying has got a massive spec, including full LED headlights, head up display,variable dampers, a full electronic dashboard and numerous other bits and pieces. I have negotiated a £23k discount plus a free 5 year service package. This even includes free oil top ups between services.

The customer service was exemplary. Not at all like the shambles that I experienced from the Mercedes dealer that I purchased the SL from.

I am sad that the SL has not lived up to my expectations. The poor customer service and questionable build quality hasn't helped but I think deep down it just isn't the right car for me. I thought I would love having a convertible but I just don't. In the south of France I am sure it would be great but in the congested South East and busy M4 and M25, a convertible is just no fun at all. The traffic noise with the roof down is just too much. I have tried many times having the roof down to try and convince myself but each time I just couldn't wait to shut it again.

So unfortunately I will be leaving Mercedes. Despite numerous calls and emails to the supplying dealer they have not responded. I may have considered an E400 or even a CLS as an alternative but they clearly are not interested in trying to salvage the situation.

I will still lurk on the forum but after three years I am sorry to say that I am leaving Mercedes and returning to BMW.

Last edited:
Saw a red one of these parked side w/ the roof up on a recent salami buying expedition & was perplexed by the styling. It's too long or too blunt or has too many lines on the side or something.

Doesn't look right.

Sad to hear of your poor experience with the car, but even more so with the dealers. That's how a brand starts to lose its customers, maybe some Mercedes dealers are getting a little complacent!

Anyway sometimes you have just got to give in to what you know is right for you and sounds like the BMW is the way to go.

I hope it gives you what you are looking for, good luck!

Sad to hear of your disappointment.

It does not sound like a convertible is for you- this is likely to have been the case with a BMW too.
It also does not sound like a large engined petrol car is for you if worried about economy.

I find dealer service at both BMW & MB equally atrocious, although there are some exceptions.

We love our rag top & estate e classes & have no regrets, with respectable economy but equally good performance from the 350 Cdi engines
Have a rattle from the ragtop in need of sorting, but not enough to spoil the enjoyment.

However, you obviously had much more expensive car, so expectations should be higher.

Wish you more success!

Quality issues to one side, are you seriously comparing the fuel consumption of a 5.5 V8 petrol with that of an IL6 diesel?

Well, he is saying that it delivers pretty much everything his 5.5 litre V8 was but at immensely higher levels of economy. Pretty much my experience.

Top down driving especially on the motorway is exceptionally noisy - the noise levels from other vehicles mostly. It's why I rarely venture onto a motorway in my old Allard - the car is fine with the pace, but noise without ear plugs is horrible.

I too am sorry to read of your experience and wish you good luck with your new car .

Well, he is saying that it delivers pretty much everything his 5.5 litre V8 was but at immensely higher levels of economy. Pretty much my experience.

Top down driving especially on the motorway is exceptionally noisy - the noise levels from other vehicles mostly. It's why I rarely venture onto a motorway in my old Allard - the car is fine with the pace, but noise without ear plugs is horrible.

It has been a long time since I last had a convertible , while they are great in the right place and at the right time ( sunny days , open country roads ) , I think a tin top with a sunroof is the best compromise for day to day use - the roof and windows can be opened on a whim , you can feel the sun on your face and smell the freshly mown grass outside ; and all can be closed quickly should the weather change .

Having said the above , I have a hankering for a R129 , while they can still be picked up cheaply ( have to get rid of the S203 first ) but it won't be a sole or everyday car .

Sad to hear of your disappointment.

It does not sound like a convertible is for you- this is likely to have been the case with a BMW too.
It also does not sound like a large engined petrol car is for you if worried about economy.

I find dealer service at both BMW & MB equally atrocious, although there are some exceptions.

We love our rag top & estate e classes & have no regrets, with respectable economy but equally good performance from the 350 Cdi engines
Have a rattle from the ragtop in need of sorting, but not enough to spoil the enjoyment.

However, you obviously had much more expensive car, so expectations should be higher.

Wish you more success!

Thanks, you are right I don't think that any convertible would have been right for me.

Quality issues to one side, are you seriously comparing the fuel consumption of a 5.5 V8 petrol with that of an IL6 diesel?

No, I knew that the SL500 would use more fuel when I got it. However, Mercedes quote a combined mpg of 31. Whilst I know that you can never get the this is real life, I was not expecting 14 mpg.

What I am saying is that you can get a similar level of performance from a car that only uses a third of the fuel.

Convertibles are heavy too, which doesn't help the fuel consumption in stop/start driving. My R129 SL500 is nudging 2 tonnes and I doubt a 231 would be lighter.

That's a shame the R231 didn't impress. I've heard lots of good things about the 640d though. I know somebody who has a 640d Gran Coupe and when I was last speaking with them, they said it's undoubtedly the best car they've owned, there's floods of smooth power and torque whatever speed you're at.

the R231 is lighter than the 640d.

I really hope your SL is a Friday car. The rattles and squeaks are unforgiveable for a flagship Mercedes roadster.

really sorry you are selling your SL .. I never even got to see it, let alone a ride in it.

have fun with the BMW.

the R231 is lighter than the 640d.

Interesting, only by 15 kg though. I didn't realise the R231 was so much lighter than the R230 (150 kg).

My R231 is pretty much silent inside, save for a little leather creak when hurling it around.

A twin-turbo V8 is going to suck a little fuel lol, and any convertible with the roof down is going to be noisy when surrounded by diesels.

Interesting, only by 15 kg though. I didn't realise the R231 was so much lighter than the R230 (150 kg).

Extensive use of aluminium for this model.

I love the roof down experience..

Unfortunately its only possible a few days of the year.. but when those days come...

Shame the W231 hasnt pleased... Not driven one yet but its not surprising to me, unfortunately its just another example of modern style over substance...

I think a tin top with a sunroof is the best compromise for day to day use - the roof and windows can be opened on a whim , you can feel the sun on your face and smell the freshly mown grass outside ; and all can be closed quickly should the weather change .

It's interesting how two sensible people can have wildly opposing views but I loathe a sunroof. It takes out a lot of headroom, weakens the car, adds in an enormous rust trap, leaks furiously on an old car, reverberates horribly at a half decent speed and give your neck sunburn. Opening the window achieves the benefits without the drawbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom