SL55 @ 60k miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I've seen a 2004 SL55 with 60k miles for sale, and I'm wondering what may be imminent in terms of pitfalls. I know with these cars it's a more a question of when, not if on certain things, and will be enquiring about it's history later, but is there anything I should be budgeting for or mindful of if it hasn't been done so far?

Most issues should be sorted by now but the following does apply...

Service history is a must & check what has been done; anything that goes wrong on these can cost a small fortune! Check that everything works, if not ask, ask about it on here.

Definitely put it up on a Jack & have a good look under each wheel suspension strut for oil leaks. Even if it's not leaking but just weeping & slightly moist with fluid, it could mean a strut is on it's way out & will cost quite a bit to replace. Also, check for oil leak under the gearbox.

Check in the history if ABC(Active Body Control) fluid has ever been flushed/replaced as these are sometimes neglected due to cost. & "If it's not broken..." But, if not replaced, you will need to & this may open up an interesting can of worms=expenses

Gear change should be silky smooth but most importantly, it should never fail to get out of Park or feel sticky! This could be a faulty ESM which means the whole shifter will need to be replaced.

Feel free to ask any queries!

DIY & forums can save you bundles of money & it's a fantastic car!

Thanks karozza. I went to look at the car yesterday (very close to me), but the dealer has out the price up, so I went no further. I always feel the 230 is a ticking time bomb, but I'm drawn like a lemming to a cliff sometimes if there is a bargain to be had!

I want to scratch the AMG itch, but if a suitable E500 estate comes up (08 on) to replace my current one, I'll "make do" with my R129, and forego the AMG experience for now, as I don't fancy an E63 as a hack.

From my years of reading about the R230 on this very forum, if I was to look at buying one I'd put £2k to one side for potentials (and normally I just buy and hope for the best!).

Imo they're fantastic value for money; an Italian super car beater for less than £15k is a bargain.

My mantra with every car I buy that had a high initial purchase cost is: hope for the best but expect the worse and I've not suffered too much (except for the almost ruinous C32!)

From my years of reading about the R230 on this very forum, if I was to look at buying one I'd put £2k for one side for potentials (and normally I just buy and hope for the best!).

Fixed that for you! ;)

This particular car had a great number plate, and the ad mentioned "numberplate authorisation certificates". The optimist in me thought the plate might be included, which would have made it cheap, likewise too dear if not, but worth a look in case. As it was, the plate wasn't included, but the windscreen price was £3k more! They've now increased the web price by £2k, but I don't know if they've reduced the screen price by £1k to match. Either way, I wasn't going to get a bargain to tempt me!

Either way, I wasn't going to get a bargain to tempt me!

Now you've got the taste for one, I doubt the wanting will go away; if I could justify one as a weekend car I'd buy on in the blink of an eye...

Have you thought about putting up a wanted advert on here?

The feeling's been there for a while, tbh, but like tantric sex, I'm happy to make it last! I'm in no rush, which is just as well, given the number of silver and black cars that leave me cold, but prices are rising with the temperature, so I may pause for now.

Depending on budget, why not go the whole hog and have a look at SL65's?

I met a guy a couple of times who had one (below), and they can cost an absolute fortune to run (I could buy two 55s on what his cost!). Ironically, the main dealer never got to the bottom of the problem with the traction control. It was absolutely stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom