SL55 - 620 BHP?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
This:

Mercedes SL55 AMG 5.4 V8 Monster 620BHP! Alpine Sat-nav&Sound System-F1 Pack | eBay

Poor set of photographs, but having just had a chat with the owner (well, given him a good listening-to, really; he's mostly stuck on transmit - Italian I think, very very chatty, told me his current life story [almost stream of consciousness...], he comes across as very likeable and genuine, a car nut, especially fast cars, and has had lots, but not very mechanically knowledgeable) it sounds as though it's had most of the ABC system replaced and the roof seals done recently, and he's adamant that it drives perfectly.

He has the invoice for the remap, but only the previous owner's word for the 620 bhp; is that achievable with just a remap for an M113K? I rather doubt it, but it would be quite fast enough as stock anyway.

It's in my preferred colour combination, the mileage is reasonable, the MoT history suggests it has been looked after. I'd have to go and see (and hear - it sounds as though the exhaust is not stock either...) it, but assuming there are no horrors in the cold light of day, my main concern would be the effect those 20" wheels would have on the ride.

He needs to sell it to raise money, but I don't think it will get anywhere near his Buy It Now; I'd guess it will bid to about 11K.

Gentlemen, what do you think?

Do it! The wheels are not great though IMO.

Poor thing just doesn't look loved, that could be where you come in. ;)

620BHP from just a remap... I very much doubt it.

Would need exhaust and smaller of the usual supercharger pulleys and possibly might need extra cooling for 620 I would have said.

The silver one with the red interior and the US vin looks more genuine than this one.

I may be wrong, but did the F1 pack not have different front bumper, vents in the side, as well as a power upgrade and some other bits which escape me right now.

I think you'll find 20" is hard and tram-lines. I run 19" on mine, and it is harder that the 18" it came with.

Its nicely spec'd for a very early one (one of the 1st RHD SL55, I had the first ...) and as it has exclusive leather the interior is very comfortable and pano roof was indeed very rare at that point (and not available when mine came which should have been on an 02 plate but they couldn't make it pass the PDI so I held it off until 52 plate)

Here is the owner list, last owner has had it a decent amount of time and strangely 1st owner had it 1 day, I guess he/she made a few K on it

Vehicle registration
MIG9085- 2002 MERCEDES, SL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR A
Total keepers
Previous VRMs
Colour changes
V5 certificates
Keeper number Keeper acquisition date
7(Current keeper) 19/05/2014
6 30/05/2009
5 19/02/2009
4 07/11/2005
3 11/01/2004
2 02/09/2002
1 (First keeper) 2002-09-01

Changed to VRM change date
MIG9085 Current VRM
LK52MFJ 21/08/2014
V8ALX 25/02/2005
LK52MFJ 22/03/2004
5TV 29/09/2003
LK52MFJ 03/09/2002

Cheers

Richard

Abb, I'm taking the 'F1 pack' claim with a large pinch of salt until I get the VIN and check it. I think the current "car nut ...but not very mechanically knowledgeable" owner believes it, though - and the 620 bhp.

The silver one with the red interior and the US vin looks more genuine than this one.

I'm convinced that the silver one is 100% genuine, apart from the minor matter of the current 'owner' probably not having good title to it if the truth be known...

Poor thing just doesn't look loved, that could be where you come in. ;)

It could indeed, but if some wally with a baseball cap on backwards (and money) believes every word in the ad and bids too high, I wouldn't compete.

Richard, thank you very much for that information; it's always useful to be able to marry up changes of owner with MoT tests. The 20" wheels wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but they'd have to go (and I'd probably make a little money on them) if you're right about the hard ride and tram-lining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abb
Without a pulley change, 540/550bhp max with just a map. Maybe 30 more if he has long tubes fitted.
620 is dreaming unless he has paperwork to prove otherwise.

Cyclone1 had a 77mm clutched s/c pulley and remap on his last CLS55 and it made just over 600bhp on the MSL dyno.

I may be wrong, but did the F1 pack not have different front bumper, vents in the side, as well as a power upgrade and some other bits which escape me right now.

It doesn't have the F1 pack; no surprise there. It does have Distronic and Keyless go, though, so a nice spec. It originally had COMAND with TV, too, and option 854 - Rear Entertainment Plus, whatever that is; extra speakers, I suppose.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind he has set the buy-it-now at £17.5k, I’d be surprised if he’d set his reserve £6.5k lower.

The car isn’t my cup of tea, and not saying what I feel it’s worth, but from what you can make out in the advert he obviously is attached to it and doesn’t seem to be giving it away (having gone to the trouble of a reserve price and a high BIN option)

Sometimes cars like this don’t sell - in the same way as buyers won’t pay what the seller wants, sellers don’t always need to sell so perhaps he’s going to keep it unless he can get what he wants for it? :)

Usual supply and demand rules apply for buyers, and for sellers it’s often a case of how much they need the money/space etc too.

Kahn wheels equals **** rag the pants owners, all the same from Ford Orion's to FFRRs

I would never by a car with them on

No mention of the F1 pack in the VIN. Looks like another dodgy claim to me.

Parameter Value
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
219 PROXIMITY-CONTROLLED CRUISE CONTROL
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
221B SIGN COOLANT/REFUELING - ENGLISH
236B WITHOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE - STATION INDEX
352 COMAND
359U TANZANITE BLUE METALLIC FINISH
390 EQ SERVICE MAINTENANCE
401 FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
404 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT
405 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT RIGHT
415 GLASS ROOF (ROADSTER)
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
487 ABC SUSPENSION (ACTIVE BODY CONTROL)
500 ELECTRIC FOLDING OUTSIDE MIRROR
524 VEHICLE PROTECTIVE COVER (FULL BODY COVER)
580A LEATHER, CONDOR
588A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER - GRAY
5XXL EUROPE
618 BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
668 PRODUCT PROT. F FREIGHT PACKAG. W TIE-DOWN HOOKS
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
803 YOM 12/1
803 *1 230____ 20000301 YOM 12/1
803 *2 722.6__ 20010316 YOM 22/1
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
819 CD CHANGER
854 REAR ENTERTAINMENT PLUS
860 TV-TUNER ANALOG
882 SENSOR SYSTEM AND ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM
889 KEYLESS - GO
984 COC DOC., DELETION OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOC.
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
M001 ENGINES WITH SUPERCHARGER
M113 V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M113
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
N62 CONTROL CODE BREMEN PLANT
N65 CONTROL CODE BREMEN PLANT

Kahn wheels equals **** rag the pants owners, all the same from Ford Orion's to FFRRs

I would never by a car with them on

I had a set of RSRs on the ML, the simplest nicest 5 spoke wheel I could find.

In regard to the F1 claim, I think he means, as used to be said F1 style paddles.

The F1 claim is almost certainly the seller trying to associate the car with the ‘performance pack’ AKA F1 pack (option 030)

The car is not an ‘F1’ pack model (as confirmed by the VIN) and if it was you’d notice the two piece split rims, larger brakes (390mm discs IIRC), different front bumper etc.

They also got an LSD and the speed limiter was increased to 300 km/h.

I nearly bought a PP SL55 about 3 years back and there’s not all that many about (but strangely just as many again seem to claim that they are!) :)

Not a fan of the wheels but easily rectified. As others have said it seems like the seller is one of those slightly deluded types in that he thinks the car is better than it is and worth more than it is.

Nice colour but doesn't looked a 'loved' car in the sense of money spent in depth to me. Most average SL55's will be worth £10k most of the time as the amount the new to be.soent to get then up to scratch. That is not Gav's scratch btw just Gav scratch -1!

I bought a very low mileage trade SL55 for buttons a few years back. One owner town car. Needed about 8k spent. PCS inspected it for me after I bought it. Had not had money spent on it when it needed it for a while. I flipped it quickly.

Without a pulley change, 540/550bhp max with just a map. Maybe 30 more if he has long tubes fitted.
620 is dreaming unless he has paperwork to prove otherwise.

Cyclone1 had a 77mm clutched s/c pulley and remap on his last CLS55 and it made just over 600bhp on the MSL dyno.

Quoting myself here as I must have had brain fade when I wrote it.

It should read, without any mods and just a remap up to 520bhp.
With an 83mm s/c pulley and map 540/560 bhp
With a 77mm s/c pulley and map, up to 600bhp. Add LTH's and maybe 620bhp.

Not a fan of the wheels but easily rectified. As others have said it seems like the seller is one of those slightly deluded types in that he thinks the car is better than it is and worth more than it is.

I agree entirely. There are a lot of them about, though; look at the silly prices of all the SL55s in eBay classified ads that don't (and won't) sell... Prices on Pistonheads are even sillier, mind you.

Kahn wheels equals **** rag the pants owners, all the same from Ford Orion's to FFRRs. I would never buy a car with them on

I didn't know they were Kahn wheels, but it doesn't make any difference; I still don't like them all that much. I've never seen anything of Kahn's I've liked, though, so no surprise there. I guess I'm just not the sort of flamboyant individual/flashy tosser (you choose) to whom his stuff generally seems to appeal...

(Abb, no offence meant, hence the 'generally' :D)

I'd guess they were put on after the MoT failure for knackered front wheels and tyres in April 2015, and the car's only done 7000 miles since then. I doubt you could thrash an M113K on the road much in that mileage, or really, at all; you'd soon end up disqualified or deceased if you did...

If the hood seals and the suspension have been sorted, and with £12K spent they should have been, even needing some tidying it's an 85K mile SL55 with a good colour combination, a good spec, a decent service history, an MoT history, which confirms the mileage, with only one fail (and that not due to neglect), and an expensive aftermarket audio system with plenty of bells and whistles. I think it should be worth £10K at very least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abb
He’s got over £60k’s worth of items on EBay so his claim of needing funds due to financial issues may be correct. With this in mind it may be a case of selling one of the items quickly to give him some cash flow?

If you like it and have a price in mind then go for it.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom