SL55 - 620 BHP?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't care for turbine wheels normally, but I'm starting to think that on that colour car, they look OK.

I agree, and I normally hate turbines!

Other than the grille, I think it looks good ^^ Leaves a nice chunk in reserve just in case.

I hadn't noticed the grille; I was too busy drooling over the colour. I'm hoping I won't need a reserve, and if £30K has really been spent, I won't; no, you're right - there's ALWAYS b****y something...

Shame about the loss of the ABC system.

^ Not really. It's an expense waiting to happen. No such fear now it has conventional spring suspension.

I quite like the example above, but those turbines would be on eBay sharpish. Really do not like them at all. Plus, they must be a nightmare to clean.
5 spoke AMG 3's for me if no split rims can be found for a reasonable price.

Not really. It's an expense waiting to happen. No such fear now it has conventional spring suspension.

but so are Airmatic and SBC Rog :) Still great features :p

I’ve heard great things about the ABC system.

I don't care for split rims for the same reason I don't (really) care for turbines; they're too fussy for my taste. Five-spoke AMG 3s would be my preference too.

...Airmatic...

Not that, but its companion SBC, could well be the b****y something...

If I go and see it, I'll go in the SL500, so I'll be able to compare the springs and the ABC system

Last edited:
I like the grille, it gives the car an updated look, hopefully the seller still has the original grille.

ABC is not as expensive as it used to be.

Don't like the grille or any of that style grille. The original is fine IMHO. Never liked turbines but both grille and alloys fairly easy to resolve.

Did you check out the MOT history? A 3.5-4.5 year off the road lay up. That is a little odd as it passed the MOT Oct 13 and had a few advisories. Only came back on the road April 18. I would need to know why the lay up. Could be genuine or could be fishy.

Could be a decent buy but won't be easy to resell. Will always sell if cheap enough so all the important to buy cheap enough. Plenty around better and more straight for a few k more.

Just done an auto check and the current owner only bought it 27/06/2018 which seems odd.

They bought it 3 months after a big layup and are selling it after a few months. There must be a story here or a bit more than meets the eye.

Or they bought it cheap and are making a few quid flipping it after using it for a summer.

Doesn't seem the straightest of cars to buy from the info so far but happy for it to be otherwise.

7 previous owners btw.

The guy selling this (the Wickford seller subject of the original post) is local to me. He is a dealer in that he buys cars and sells high, many of them. This may well be a car he decided to keep, or he has had difficulty moving.

He has been selling on local community sites, a bit of an entrepreneur, has been advertising strips of land bought cheap etc all over the Country and has recently been offering to pay someone to take him to St. Albans and back daily for petrol money.

I personally would steer very clear, he does not appear very popular on local sites reading comments on his posts not sure why...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This:

Mercedes SL55 AMG 5.4 V8 Monster 620BHP! Alpine Sat-nav&Sound System-F1 Pack | eBay

Poor set of photographs, but having just had a chat with the owner (well, given him a good listening-to, really; he's mostly stuck on transmit - Italian I think, very very chatty, told me his current life story [almost stream of consciousness...], he comes across as very likeable and genuine, a car nut, especially fast cars, and has had lots, but not very mechanically knowledgeable) it sounds as though it's had most of the ABC system replaced and the roof seals done recently, and he's adamant that it drives perfectly.

He has the invoice for the remap, but only the previous owner's word for the 620 bhp; is that achievable with just a remap for an M113K? I rather doubt it, but it would be quite fast enough as stock anyway.

It's in my preferred colour combination, the mileage is reasonable, the MoT history suggests it has been looked after. I'd have to go and see (and hear - it sounds as though the exhaust is not stock either...) it, but assuming there are no horrors in the cold light of day, my main concern would be the effect those 20" wheels would have on the ride.

He needs to sell it to raise money, but I don't think it will get anywhere near his Buy It Now; I'd guess it will bid to about 11K.

Gentlemen, what do you think?
Have you seen this one.......

2003 Black MERCEDES-BENZ SL CLASS 5.4 SL55 Kompressor AMG 2dr for sale for £11790 in Bedford, Bedfordshire

Looks pretty good to me and reasonable mileage. Downside is it's black.

Looks honest enough from initial looks. I don't mind black on an SL55 as it suits the car for me. Seems like a fair price and bit of piece of mind from an indy dealer for what it's worth.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'd seen it, and it looks OK to me too, but it's black, and I just don't want a black car.

The Wickford '620 hp monster' went for just over £10k; I'd not have bid anywhere near that for that car. For the coilover one I had intended to bid late on, but the auction did not run to the end; he had somebody coming to see it today, and I guess was made an offer he couldn't refuse. Such is life, and who knows, it may be back. I'd still have it at the right price; the grille and wheels have grown on me, and the colour and interior are just perfect.

I'll keep checking for dark blue examples with light interiors, and silver ones with red leather; I think the market has further to fall before it picks up.

The Wickford one did not sell as failed to reach reserve, guess it will be back with a lower reserve.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Post deleted as irrelevant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom