Sl55 ABC 'visit workshop' message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AI14

Car
SL55 AMG
I recently bought an SL55 and after only a few weeks I started to see the ABC visit workshop light appear in the menu. I Ignored it for a week or 2, but now it occasionally has turned red stating 'please drive carefully' and even said a few times 'stop car to low'. After this light comes the car suspension gets stuck to high and doesn't come down from the self levelling button and is a boat to drive. After a few restarts the light does disappear but it still comes back now and again so it is bothering me now so I think I need to get it fixed.

I have done some research online and some people say it could be the dreaded pump replacement, or be a smaller repair such as a leak from somewhere.

I have been going through the last garage repair before I bought the car. Under the recommendations I can see something that may be of an interest because it says it has not been fixed.. 'slight oil leak from steering pinion seal' could this be the reason for the ABC? from this document that seems to be the only recommendation that had a leak written next to it.

I appreciate any advice, ideally I would like to have a better idea of what the issue could be rather than taking it to a garage straight away who may just recommend me to replace the pump so they can make there money from labour. I need an unbiased opinion before going down the pump route.

Many thanks.

Every time I have seen a pump go, the red warning comes and goes but eventually will just come up all of the time. I'd change the pump as soon as possible, it could be putting crap through your system which will cause even more damage to your struts, valve blocks or accumulators. If you are mechanically enclined then you could always rebuild it, Ive had a couple of kits from:
MERCEDES BENZ

Which have been excellent although if your pump is damaged externally then these kits won't fix it!

Aidan

You know nothing until you get it on STAR.

However, as above, when mine went as per your described symptoms a new pump was needed (incorporates power steering).

Mic

Having a pump replaced today
Tip - remember to flush the system with old pump on at least 1ltr from each corner
Then new pump in
Get all the dirt out first
Also warm up the fluid first, raising car up and down
Rodeo personally will not perform on the older car, runs highest pressures etc and if there is another weak component.....more ££££££

Just had the same problem with my 500CL. The boys at Startech in Poole sorted it out. New ABC pump, flushed the system and a new V-belt. Price £ 1958 including the dreaded VAT. You could buy non genuine pumps but dare you risk it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom