SL55 AMG - a summary of information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Press release for the SL55 performance package

spacer.gif

SL 55 AMG with Performance Package:
Based on the official FIA Safety Car from the 2002 Formula 1 season

spacer.gif

June 11, 2003

• Striking front apron with additional oil cooler
  • Sporty AMG chassis with Active Body Control
  • Multi-piece 19-inch AMG twin-spoke wheels with mixed tires
Affalterbach - Racing technology comes to the road: with the addition of the new AMG-Performance Package, the Mercedes-Benz SL 55 offers a driving experience which is more dynamic than ever. Developed by Mercedes-AMG, this high-performance version of the successful roadster is a compelling tour de force with looks and technology closely derived from the official FIA Safety Car used in last year's F1 Grand Prix season.

SL55-Performance-front.jpg

The SL 55 AMG with the Performance Package owes its enhanced dynamic characteristics to an extensive range of revisions to its body, engine cooling system, brakes and suspension. The design of the striking front apron, which dominates the nose of the vehicle, recalls the look of the Formula 1 Safety Car. Larger cooling-air intakes and an additional engine-oil cooler ensure that the AMG V8 supercharged powerplant - whose peak power and torque levels are unchanged at 368 kW/500 hp and 700 newton metres respectively - is maintained at the optimum operating temperatures during sporty driving.

SL55-Performance-side.jpg

Brake system and chassis setup from the Formula 1 Safety Car

For optimum braking performance, sensitivity and resistance to fading, the front wheels of the SL 55 AMG with the Performance Package are equipped with a composite steel brake system. Measuring 380 mm in diameter (as opposed to 360 mm in the standard version), the internally ventilated and perforated grey cast-iron discs feature floating caliper and have a greater thermal capability. All the dynamic handling systems associated with the electrohydraulic Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) system have been optimized for the new brake system. Together, all these measures borrowed directly from the Formula 1 Safety Car deliver reliable stopping power at all times - even under the extreme conditions encountered when braking from racing speeds.

The SL 55 AMG with the Performance Package also draws on its Formula 1 counterpart when it comes to the chassis setup and the choice of wheels and tires The Mercedes-AMG engineers based the configuration on the setup used by official FIA Safety Car driver Bernd Mayländer on all the F1 Grand Prix circuits. New spring struts with firmer spring and damper settings for the Active Body Control (ABC) system provide an even more direct and responsive driving experience. Impressive looks and superb engineering come together in the multi-piece 19-inch AMG twin-spoke wheels. 255/35 ZR 19 tires are fitted to the 8.5 x 19-inch front wheels while the 9.5 x 19-inch rear wheels are equipped with 285/30 ZR 19 tires

SL55-Performance-top.jpg

Video of SL55 being assembled at factory

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well done mate - good additions for the performance pack!

I would also welcome the addition of anybody who had any of the original pricelists for the other options etc.

J

This picture is a great one - but note the bumper is standard not the pp version on the early pace cars! Thought it was interesting as an aside

maxresdefault.jpg

That is interesting, maybe an early advertising shot?

This is the real safety car, now in the Mercedes museum and the "spare" that was for sale in Japan a few years ago.

IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0206.JPG

Yep I suspect so - they do look great don't they!

I do remember them very fondly

Another thought - perhaps the oil cooler and necessary additional venting evolved from the first version as they progressed through the season? The spare car looks rather similar in decal otherwise doesnt it!

This is pure speculation on my part!

I suspect the additional oil cooler wasn't added to the road car because it was added to the Safety Car, because I'm sure there will be other modifications for the Safety Car which never made to the 030 car.

It was perhaps more likely to be a function of oil temperature creeping up when tuning the suspension on the Nurburgring (if what was referred to about ABC further up this thread is true).

Well done mate - good additions for the performance pack!

I would also welcome the addition of anybody who had any of the original pricelists for the other options etc.

J

I have a June 2003 price list (all prices inc. VAT)

SL55 AMG £91,345 OTR
Exclusive Nappa leather £2,310
401 Comfort ventilated seats £610
219 Distronic £1,600
231 Garage door opener £180
889 Keyless Go £860
415 Panoramic glass sunroof £1,390
220 Parktronic £590
726 Preparation for roof carrying system £70
682 Fire extinguisher £105
475 Tyre pressure monitor £470
860 TV tuner £720
390 Linguatronic £310
854 Nokia 6310i mobile telephone £620
852 Telephone pre-wiring £410

That's brilliant! It also goes to show how well equipped these cars were in that the list is relatively short!

I wonder what the roof preparation for carrying system was!

That's brilliant! It also goes to show how well equipped these cars were in that the list is relatively short!

I wonder what the roof preparation for carrying system was!
I think this was to provide anchor points for a roof box :confused:

Yeah or maybe a fixing for a roof rack! I am not sure if I have ever seen an sl with any kind of roof loading! Strikes me as asking for trouble given the comparative fragility of the mechanism!

J

Interesting aside. The CLK GTR was the inspiration for the standard turbine wheels!

Kinda cool huh!

clk gtr - Google Search:

An image should be here but I am struggling with my damn browser on android

J

Forgot I wrote this but bump for anybody who may find it interesting reading! (Page 1)

James

great thread as i've just got into my 3rd SL55 but my first PP version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom