SL55 AMG for £19,500?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

High-Lo

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 X166 Mercedes GL350, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Porsche 968 Cabriolet
I'm seeing a lot more of these eBay auctions lately.

2002 SL55 AMG for buy now price of £19,500 or a start price at £2,300. 5 hours to go. Only problem is its restricted to pre-approved bidders. If you contact the seller to get on his approved bidders list you will not get a reply.

What have these sellers got to gain by this :confused:

I suppose it matches the old saying of, "If it looks too good to be true, the chances are it aint true"!!

Have you heard of this type of auction before then??

What a car!! I would buy it and just sit in it.

Regards,
John

What if I bought one through a Ltd company sold it at a massive loss then folded the ltd company leaving creditors with the bill for the car...

I cant be chased for the debt because my liability is limited :) I have auctioned the car and achieved the "best market rate available" in that market ...

and my best friend has bought a very nice car for the price of a Saxo :crazy:

would that work do you think :)

Or I am a business man that has a huge profit in my company and I would like one of those AMG thingies...My company buys one sells it in an open auction (with pre agreed bidding to stop time waisting) the auction goes flat and I am caught out because I have agreed to sell it without a reserve...

and someone (a trusted mate) gets one for XXXX they garage it for a while my company records a loss thanks to my stupidity (pays no tax) then I buy it back quietly later on :D

There is two gains for you :)

peterchurch said:
There is two gains for you :)

Hi Peter,
I think I understand what you are saying, (my morphine has kicked in a good 'un though)

The cheeky devils, the car must be worth perhaps upper sixty thou'?????? I'm just guessing but there must be members with a better knowledge.

I would without doubt buy it, if it were legitimate (big IF though)

Good night and thanks for your input,
John

glojo said:
Hi Peter,
I think I understand what you are saying, (my morphine has kicked in a good 'un though)

The cheeky devils, the car must be worth perhaps upper sixty thou'?????? I'm just guessing but there must be members with a better knowledge.

I would without doubt buy it, if it were legitimate (big IF though)

Good night and thanks for your input,
John

The SL65 is about £145,000 :eek: so I would say its not a bad day to get one for 20K :crazy:

Goodnight :)

There have been a lot of ones like these recently - M3's for £12k, Audi TT's for £8k - all are on hacked Ebay accounts (have a look at other items or past transactions - rarely include other prestige motors, unless there are several cons on at any one time - this guy seems to deal in CDs + DVDs, not luxury Merc roadsters), and have a buy-it-now price about a third what the car is worth.
The ones I have seen have been from sellers 'who have moved the abroad, and now want to sell it to someone in the UK, since it is RHD afterall'. All you have to do is send them a few grand by Western Union as a deposit (obviously, completely refundable - not!!) and then you can come and see the car in Portugal / Spain / 'fill in the blank' country......

Not many people who have done well enough to buy a SL500 are so daft as to sell it for ~£40k less than it is worth. As John rightly said - if it looks too true......

I had not picked up on the hacked account :) but point behind my ideas are not to sell the car to a stranger, rather to move a transaction of cash to the detriment of your bank or Gordon Brown maybe both, and collect the car later £££ nothing illegal about being bad at business last time I looked ;)

peterchurch said:
I had not picked up on the hacked account :) but point behind my ideas are not to sell the car to a stranger, rather to move a transaction of cash to the detriment of your bank or Gordon Brown maybe both, and collect the car later £££ nothing illegal about being bad at business last time I looked ;)

If you don't get caught :D

If you do, choose one or more from - Fraudulent Trading, Money Laundering, Tax Evasion, Conspiracy to Defraud or Conspiracy to Steal! :eek:

Edit: Forgot False Accounting

Last edited:
I think the second idea would be water tight as long as the business had a few years trading behind it. As much as the IR would like us to think they are all seeing I have a friend that is an accountant and was asked to wind up a company.

On inspection they estimate that the company has been running bent for about 30 years !!! The owner ran a Carousel fraud against the Customs & Excise, He failed to make _any_ payments to NI over the last 10-15 years and they had not started on the corporation tax issues... He expects to see the owner in prison for a few years but the only way that they caught it was that the company was wound up...

He could have probably continued to run un hindered if it wasn't for a silly dispute....

:)

I have absolutely no idea how e-bay works or the fraud legislation but could it be possible that this DVD seller was just practising at selling a car without any illegal intent?

It looks like no one was allowed to bid, and it was only up for a very short period??

How much would it have cost to place the advert, and why place it and not allow anyone to bid? (The auction has closed and there were nil bids)

Any thoughts?

John

Quite likely :) The poor guy is just trying to make a buck and we go mark him down as Al Capone :D it does smell a bit though you have to admit ;)

Unless the car is a wreck - which its clearly not - it was totally unrealistically priced ! Now either he's missed a '0' somewhere, and ended the listing, or its dodgy as anything :)

S.

It does seem a bit odd, a one day listing.

Maybe the thing to do is to wait until the last minute and if there aren't any bids buy it for the start price and pay PP with a credit card.

When (if) the car is real then have an HPi check straight away.

At least if paying with a CC one should get refunded if this is fraudulent.

Hmm , interesting ....

league67 said:
Exterior colour - blue ...

fun'n'games

And ready for a bit of off roading towing a caravan. :confused:

4-Wheel DriveAir Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette Player,
Catalytic Converter, CD Player, Central Locking, Climate Control, Convertible, Cruise Control, Disabled Accessible , Electric Seats, Electric Windows, Leather Seats, Navigation System, Parking Sensors, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Premium Sound System, Rear Spoiler, Sunroof, Tilt Steering Wheel, Tow Bar

Fortunately the seller will post worldwide. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dieselman said:
And ready for a bit of off roading towing a caravan. :confused:

4-Wheel DriveAir Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette Player,
Catalytic Converter, CD Player, Central Locking, Climate Control, Convertible, Cruise Control, Disabled Accessible , Electric Seats, Electric Windows, Leather Seats, Navigation System, Parking Sensors, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Premium Sound System, Rear Spoiler, Sunroof, Tilt Steering Wheel, Tow Bar

Fortunately the seller will post worldwide. :rolleyes:

Now be honest.... You do not think this is a genuine advert do you?

Go on admit it!! :) :)

You wait, I'll turn up tomorrow with my head stuck out above the sunroof, and my wheelchair on the ramp.

I just don't understand why he is blocking bidders? Or has he answered anyone's e-mails yet?

What about we go 50 - 50 on the bid. I'll supply the envelope if you supply the cash!!! :) :)

Don't forget the missing V5 Document -

Take care,
John The doubting Thomas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom