SL55 and SL63 (R230) and SL500 (R129) - Members experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use it a lot in the nice weather, May to October. Mileage has differed over the years due to work and other life obstacles. Between 350 and 6000 over the years. Currently on 125k.
It is currently living outside for the second winter, sorn but fully waxed and will be looked after.
Thank you

Another thing to note if you're buying an R230 is that you're going to need to buy a trickle charger. This car has a lot of electronics that will stay awake while the car sits and you're roast you main battery pretty darn quickly if you're not going to drive it regularly.

Another thing to note if you're buying an R230 is that you're going to need to buy a trickle charger. This car has a lot of electronics that will stay awake while the car sits and you're roast you main battery pretty darn quickly if you're not going to drive it regularly.
Hi Al. Thanks for the heads-up that they're susceptible on this aspect. I use a trickle charger on other cars so will get another unit to look after the SL if I find a suitable car. Looks like it's particularly important as the car will get the same kind of limited use as your 55. All the best, David

I have had my r129 since 2008 and have driven about 80k miles. Daily driver for first 10 years and since then lowered mileage. Main issues I have had apart from servicing

• ASR light and resolved by replacing basic module (twice). It stranded me once and had to be towed home
  • Maf sensor replaced because of idle hunting
  • soft top needs replacing. In progress as we speak
  • front fenders replaced and now a bit rusty again
  • I think suspension could do with new shocks and springs
  • ac evaporator is leaking so need to replace (dashboard out project)
  • had electrical issue with wiper and Indicator light and replaced relay which did not fix it. Removed wiper motor and cleaned it and greased it as well as the stalk on the steering wheel and issue seems to fixed but as the issue was intermittent time will tell and I dont drive It as much as I used to
  • exhaust is rusty and squeaking so will replace soon as well
Apart from that all good and love driving it and despite the long list above it is expected after alll these years and miles. I reckon after those repairs it will be good for another 20 years

I have had my r129 since 2008 and have driven about 80k miles. Daily driver for first 10 years and since then lowered mileage. Main issues I have had apart from servicing

• ASR light and resolved by replacing basic module (twice). It stranded me once and had to be towed home
  • had electrical issue with wiper and Indicator light and replaced relay which did not fix it. Removed wiper motor and cleaned it and greased it as well as the stalk on the steering wheel and issue seems to fixed but as the issue was intermittent time will tell and I dont drive It as much as I used to
Apart from that all good and love driving it and despite the long list above it is expected after alll these years and miles. I reckon after those repairs it will be good for another 20 years

Thanks for taking the time to feed back. The thing I'm picking up from comments and other places is that although older the R129 offers a more "analogue" experience, perhaps more akin to previous Mercedes values and whatever the issues people seem to really enjoy them. The R230 seems to split opinion more evenly, with some clear advocates and others who see them with a litany of issues and they wouldn't go near one again. Much appreciated, it helps. David

Thanks for taking the time to feed back. The thing I'm picking up from comments and other places is that although older the R129 offers a more "analogue" experience, perhaps more akin to previous Mercedes values and whatever the issues people seem to really enjoy them. The R230 seems to split opinion more evenly, with some clear advocates and others who see them with a litany of issues and they wouldn't go near one again. Much appreciated, it helps. David

I wonder how many of each own the AMG versions vs a regular SL350/500 In my mind the SL55 and SL65 offer supercar performance and supercars usually require that you pay to play.

I wonder how many of each own the AMG versions vs a regular SL350/500 In my mind the SL55 and SL65 offer supercar performance and supercars usually require that you pay to play.
Hi. Yes, I agree with that and it’s a point well made. I’ve run a car or two in that category and it’s very true. If you want the experience it won’t be cheap (and I’m ok with that).

Not familiar with the R230 SL65 but have just seen one for sale here in the UK. I believe this is a bi-turbo V12 but my V12 experience is limited to Italian.

Hi. Yes, I agree with that and it’s a point well made. I’ve run a car or two in that category and it’s very true. If you want the experience it won’t be cheap (and I’m ok with that).

Not familiar with the R230 SL65 but have just seen one for sale here in the UK. I believe this is a bi-turbo V12 but my V12 experience is limited to Italian.

I have a CL65. It makes the SL55 feel pedestrian. It's an old school turbo where it catches you off guard if you're not careful. I've never experienced Italian anything but compared to my British V12's, it' very reliable :)

I have a CL65. It makes the SL55 feel pedestrian. It's an old school turbo where it catches you off guard if you're not careful. I've never experienced Italian anything but compared to my British V12's, it' very reliable :)
👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom