SL55 brake failure -- eeek.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
Good thing I was going slowly when this happened :-(

The brakes really don't work well when that happens - Ok for 10mph, but not a lot more.

R

sbs-600.jpg

How does Mercedes expect you to STOP when you have no brakes ?

You still have some *very useless* brakes (i.e there is a mechanical backup system) but they are not going to stop you in any hurry at any speed.

R

edit: Oh yes, and the buzzer starts beeping at you very loudly, and doesnt stop until you lock the car

Last edited:
Star Diagnosis says that SBS (the brake controller) is reporting an 'internal failure'

MB will get it on Tuesday - i'm too busy to be in for the recovery truck tomorrow - I'm not driving it anywhere !!

The car is 5 years old, but i'd expect some goodwill on this rather critical fault.

The system has behaved as designed. If the brake controller fails (after all it is only electronics and valves) there is a mechanical backup system - that sucessfully stopped the vehicle without incident...

R

Heh - I've seen that message - it's like "Keyboard failure - press F1"....

Anyhow, could be an electrical failure of some kind, isn't there a separate battery for the SBC system?

Star Diagnosis says that SBS (the brake controller) is reporting an 'internal failure'

The car is 5 years old, but i'd expect some goodwill on this rather critical fault.

My E class is 6yrs old in November. Mercedes replaced SBS pump FOC 2months ago without quibble. Didn't even get to the red light stage. They 'Starred' it and in it went. 120.000mls and incomplete history.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
Very glad you are OK!

Sounds like opening the door and sticking your foot out to stop would be a better option :D

In the US the SBC brake units now have a 10 year guarantee.

MB will tell you that you did still have brakes: but they operated on the front wheels only and with no servo assistance whatsoever.

So coming to a stop in a hurry would have been a challenge, requiring considerable pedal force, maybe a both feet and stand on it job for those of slight stature.

Car was picked up around 3pm (moblio life), and taken to Mercedes Benz of Ascot (Greenoaks). (I called about an hour before that)

They have just called me, they have tested, determined the SBS control pump needs replacing, submitted a 'goodwill' claim to MB UK, who have agreed to cover 100% of the repair. The parts will arrive tomorrow morning and car should be back with me tomorrow afternoon.

What *stunning* service. Reminds me why I keep buying Mercedes Benz.

Richard

(Pump seems to be around £930 rrp inc VAT)

(BTW, I'm pretty sure that when the SBS failed the gearbox then changed down a few gears to provide engine braking. Certainly driving it round the drive it stayed in a very low gear)

all brake pump issues seem to have a no quibble goodwill guarantee... we have put loads through the dealers and they always go 100% contribution.

all brake pump issues seem to have a no quibble goodwill guarantee... we have put loads through the dealers and they always go 100% contribution.

how many pump failures will they contribute to for the same car, I wonder?

Final update,

Car delivered back to me at 4:30pm (as I told them I wouldnt be home until 4pm) all fixed and clean ..

Well done Greenoaks of Ascot. (and MB UK for the 100% contribution of course)

Richard

Those SBC pumps are really crap. They don't last!

I have driven one without SBC working and it is shocking how bad the brakes are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom