SL55 Coilover Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also going for some performance upgrades :cool:

View attachment 63170

View attachment 63171

I'm also going to do a complete service (engine oil, coolant, gearbox filter and oil, diff oil, rear axle oil, fuel filter, spark plugs) so I know everything is as good as possible ;)

Last edited:
KW coilovers arrived from Germany today :cool:

rps20170517_194615_455.jpg

I now have everything except the two rubber shims that sit between the spring and the top mount.

They were ordered from MB at the same time as the sway bars etc but we're not in stock.

Apparently they are on back order and might take another 2 to 3 weeks to arrive :wallbash:

an unusual mod, I cannot recall any one doing this to an Sl, not saying it has not been done before, but I have not seen this conversion previously myself, so as others I will follow this thread with great interest:D

an unusual mod, I cannot recall any one doing this to an Sl, not saying it has not been done before, but I have not seen this conversion previously myself, so as others I will follow this thread with great interest:D
It has been done in the US using a kit sold by Rebuild Master Tech.

However their kit just uses the standard struts and springs from the SL350 which will be quite softly sprung for comfort rather than sporty.

I have gone with the KWs because they are height, compression and rebound adjustable so I can dial them up as stiff as possible until just before it becomes too harsh.

I don't seem to be able to edit my posts so I will add the photos again :dk:

rps20170513_201408_494.jpg

rps20170513_201510_413.jpg

rps20170513_201649_427.jpg

Good luck with your conversion, do you have ABC problems ? I had kw3's on my old Mini Cooper s and they were brilliant

Good luck with your conversion, do you have ABC problems ? I had kw3's on my old Mini Cooper s and they were brilliant

I've only had the car for a few months and already got the dreaded "ABC Visit Workshop" Message :doh:

Discovered that it was the plunger sensor in one of the shocks.

Apparently it can't be repaired so it means a replacement shock.

As the car is 14 years old and still on the original shocks my conclusion is that all 4 will have to be changed in the next couple of years!

I have worked out that I can do the coilover conversion for about the same cost as replacing the shocks with Arnott units or equivalent.

That doesn't even factor in any possible bills for ABC pump or valve block problems or servicing costs for the recommended 2 year fluid flush and replacement.

Also I like the peace of mind that I won't be stranded on the side of the road ever again due to suspension trouble :cool:

What suspension parts are you using? KW + SL350?

I was looking at converting my CLS55 to run on springs. Would be nice to hear how you rate the KW kit. Good luck with it.

What suspension parts are you using? KW + SL350?

I was looking at converting my CLS55 to run on springs. Would be nice to hear how you rate the KW kit. Good luck with it.
Yes, KW variant 3 coilovers.

They are designed for both the SL350 and SL500.

They are designed for 1025kg loading on the front axle and 1135kg on the rear.

There is a Nett weight saving of about 50kg between the new setup and the ABC system when everything is stripped out.

This leaves the car spot on the rear weight and only 25kg over on the front.

That is just 2% over so hopefully should be negligible

Hi, hoping you may be able to help?? Wheres the best place for me to get a set /pair of evolution discs for sl 55 amg please..Rory.07749837885.

Hi, hoping you may be able to help?? Wheres the best place for me to get a set /pair of evolution discs for sl 55 amg please..Rory.07749837885.

Probably best to start a new thread in the relevant section...you'll get more views.

It took a bit longer than I was planning but the car is now finished
rps20170911_201901.jpg
I have to say that I am really happy with the new setup.:)

It is now lighter, lower, taughter and more responsive than when it had the ABC.

The car now corners like it is on rails

I can now feel the car interacting with the road rather than the somewhat disconnected feeling of the ABC.

The ride quality of KW coilovers is fantastic.

I have it set at three quarters stiff on compression and rebound yet the ride quality is still very comfortable.

There are some squeaks and creaks when the car goes over really rough roads but it is actually the retractable shelf in the boot rattling rather than the suspension

The biggest complement I can give it is that it feels as good as the suspension on my previous car which was a 997 Carrera S.

Only now I have an extra 200HP and 300ft of torque to play with :cool:

The complex suspension on the 500 / 55`s is one thing that would worry me should i go down the SL route in the future.

The coilover kit seem like the answer to eliminate any potential faults.

How did you get round the fact that the car system thinks the ABC is still fitted or was there a software mod that eliminates it from the system ?

Kenny

The complex suspension on the 500 / 55`s is one thing that would worry me should i go down the SL route in the future.

The coilover kit seem like the answer to eliminate any potential faults.

How did you get round the fact that the car system thinks the ABC is still fitted or was there a software mod that eliminates it from the system ?

Kenny

It is pretty simple.

You simply need access to Developer Mode in the Mercedes Star diagnostic software.

Go into Special Equipment and untick ABC. A MB main dealer should be able to do this in half an hour.

I guess that the basic software for all the SL models is the same.

So on the 350 (which has traditional suspension) they deselect ABC whilst on the 500, 55, 600 and 65 they select it.

It is also probably how they let the ecu know that upgrades such as Parktronic and adaptave cruise control have been added to the standard spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom