SL55 - crank pulley 'wobble'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cb1965

Banned
Car
N/A
Whilst nosing around my engine bay the other day whilst the car was idling I noticed that the crank pulley looks to have a 'wobble'/be slightly 'out of true'.

Having done a bit of 'Googling' it seems the crank pulley on the M113 engine can have an issue whereby it breaks up and the first indicator of this is the pulley running out of true and damaging the belt.

My belts seem fine and there is no other issue I can see, but it still does not look quite right... optical illusion or something to worry about?

Car has done 67K btw.

Get it replaced asap. It can machine a nice little hole in the front of the engine

Get it replaced asap. It can machine a nice little hole in the front of the engine

Bugger, was supposed to be going to MSL on Sunday too..... I swear I am doomed to failure with this car and getting it running just right.

Thanks for the advice. Will get it sorted next week.

Acid will have a spare one on-site, speak to him as he may be able to replace it on the day

Acid will have a spare one on-site, speak to him as he may be able to replace it on the day

Yeah, just spoke to him and he said they can have a slight 'wobble', but he said he will have a look at it on Sunday... trouble is I'm driving from Lancs.... just had another butchers at it and it isn't fouling anything so will probably just get down there and let him take a look.

I have the same problem with mine now..I only noticed it when I was filling the washer bottle... Just a small amount of rubber was poking out... Once it was taken off the back of it was shot!!!

OK, anyone know what's involved in changing one of these. Mercedes are quoting 3 hours labour. I presume the access is the issue.... what has to come off to get at it?

No, I am not doing it myself, but curious as to what takes the time.

To remove the pulley you have to remove the engine cooling fan which on your car is slightly more involved as there is a couple of more trims to come off.

The biggest thing is actually remove the crank off the crankshaft as the seize on sometimes but with a decent puller they usually come off

To remove the pulley you have to remove the engine cooling fan which on your car is slightly more involved as there is a couple of more trims to come off.

The biggest thing is actually remove the crank off the crankshaft as the seize on sometimes but with a decent puller they usually come off

Thanks for the reply, I do wish some you guys were in the north :D

How far north are we talking

I did a pulley upgrade to my SL55 about one month ago with DMS in the UK. One of the pulleys they changed was the crank pulley, and since then I've noticed the same wobble during idle. I'm not sure if this indicates a faulty pulley because it's only one month old. What do you guys think?

It's a composite pulley with a steel inner and outer "glued" together with an elastomer. If they let go completely they have been known to break the timing chain case and engine sump casting. Personally I would not risk a long road trip with the pulley in its present state.

It's a composite pulley with a steel inner and outer "glued" together with an elastomer. If they let go completely they have been known to break the timing chain case and engine sump casting. Personally I would not risk a long road trip with the pulley in its present state.

I just had another look at it with the engine on. It actually doesn't wobble so much, I must have exaggerated it in my head. Here is a video I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUAMLueW0js

Spoke to the guys at DMS, they said no one with this upgrade has ever had a problem with the crank pulley. Just with some pump that prevents limp mode when overheating.

That video sounds just like the rubbish'n'bollards music that blares out of barrymobiles :D

I just had another look at it with the engine on. It actually doesn't wobble so much, I must have exaggerated it in my head. Here is a video I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUAMLueW0js

Spoke to the guys at DMS, they said no one with this upgrade has ever had a problem with the crank pulley. Just with some pump that prevents limp mode when overheating.

Doesn't look like it's got an issue to me.

That's interesting. I have bought an SL55 amg with the DMS upgrade done in 2009 and noticed a wobble of the lightened crank pulley around late April. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzK9ozsh20&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

The supercharger pulley was reallly an issue and that has now been changed but I asked DMS about the wobble on the crank and was quoted £750 for a replacement (supply only). As the car has only done 20k since this upgrade I am reluctant to go down this route but even more so now as despite me reporting this less than two months ago with the video, they have told you that no-one has ever had a problem. May I ask who you was in communication with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom