SL55 De-Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JRH30

Car
SL55 AMG
Looking for slightly more noise from the SL though dont want it too intrusive when cruising. Talking to Olly at PCS he is suggesting a de-cat would be ideal. Anybody done this on SL55 and what were the results? Assume there will be no issues with MOT as will still have a cat.

The new MOT says that all cats fitted when new should still be fitted at MOT time.

Right now at least most MOT testers seem to be turning a blind eye but how long this will remain the case until VOSA clamp down on it, I am not sure.

The new MOT says that all cats fitted when new should still be fitted at MOT time.

Right now at least most MOT testers seem to be turning a blind eye but how long this will remain the case until VOSA clamp down on it, I am not sure.

that's me fu***d then :bannana:

AFAIK there's no database showing how many cats were fitted to every model of every car (including imports etc.) year by year, and I doubt this could ever be created. So provided your car has *some* cats and meets the emissions levels it should be OK, IMHO.

you may well be right and this may be a non issue but if you take your cat to an MOT tester that does know and it fails and is listed as an MOT failure reason, you'll be screwed from then on.

I think it likely that Mercedes would have to fail it for instance as they couldn't pretend to not know that it had cats removed.

You can have the internals of the cats removed and then welded back together

I had my SL de-cat'd a few months back and the Xpipe fitted....

thread here - http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/164012-my-sl55-de-catted-eurocharged-today.html

She passed the MoT a few weeks ago, so no issues as yet (do still have the primary cats fitted).

There's slightly more exhaust "rumble" at low revs - although not a huge amount, but once the revs are up then she gets a bit noisier, I wouldn't say very noisy though, so depends how much noise you're looking for.

I was hoping for a little bit more noise but she's fine for now ;) otherwise I may need to get to the rear exhaust boxes and remove some baffling / wadding etc.....

You could try just removing the resonators and leave all your cats in place. I'm not 100% but I would think its the resonator removal that creates the most noise differential. No issues with cats being removed then and resonator removal not an issue with mot.

You could try just removing the resonators and leave all your cats in place. I'm not 100% but I would think its the resonator removal that creates the most noise differential. No issues with cats being removed then and resonator removal not an issue with mot.

Thats kind of the line I took although I left the resonators in place but modified the internals by fitting solid pipes rather than perforated ones.

I bought a second hand rear box of ebay for £70, cut it open, spent a couple of hours with the welder before closing it back up again and now it sounds like this.

[YOUTUBE]cmI3MSRjcak[/YOUTUBE]

And it weighs a ton.

Thats kind of the line I took although I left the resonators in place but modified the internals by fitting solid pipes rather than perforated ones.

I bought a second hand rear box of ebay for £70, cut it open, spent a couple of hours with the welder before closing it back up again and now it sounds like this.

[YOUTUBE]cmI3MSRjcak[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds good Spike.

I recently had my resonator and secondary cats refitted on my car and removed the x-pipe so my exhaust was back to stock. Although it was too quiet in some ways I prefer the tighter sound, but yesterday I had some C63 rear boxes fitted and it sounds a whole lot better, the rest of the system is still stock but I was thinking if I want more noise in the future I will just remove the resonator and still keep the cats.

BTW - what did you use to make that vid? I have a small kodak playsport video camera but for some reason the sound isn't good as it seems to muffle the volume when sound increases, which is pretty useless for exhaust vids!!

Last edited:
Removing the resonator and fitting 200 cell sports cats made a relatively small difference to my R129 500. I think the back box is pretty efficient, hence Sp!ke's route makes a lot of sense. I'd be reluctant to chop mine up though as it's an AMG one ... they cost a small fortune (in the region of £1200).

BTW - what did you use to make that vid? I have a small kodak playsport video camera but for some reason the sound isn't good as it seems to muffle the volume when sound increases, which is pretty useless for exhaust vids!!

Oddly, that video was made with ... wait for it... a Kodak Playsport. :D

Oddly, that video was made with ... wait for it... a Kodak Playsport. :D

Sorry its off topic!

I've tried and tried with the playsport but sound just doesn't reproduce:dk:

Mine is a playsport zx5. what playsport do you have and what setting do you have the mic gain on?

That was a zx5 with the sound settings left at default. Perhaps you have your mic in the underwater setting?

So looks like removal of secondary cats is the way to go with some reservations about mot issues later on. Will have to give it some thought. Has anybody got any sound comparisons of before and after? Not looking for it to be too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom