SL55 F1 Performance pack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bmac

Hi I am looking at a SL55 which is being sold as F1 perforamance pack. It is 2007 and I have checked with Mercedes who confirm it has a 030 AMG performance pack but they hadn't heard of an F1 performance pack. are they the same thing? the car has carbon trim and big brakes!

Hi I am looking at a SL55 which is being sold as F1 perforamance pack. It is 2007 and I have checked with Mercedes who confirm it has a 030 AMG performance pack but they hadn't heard of an F1 performance pack. are they the same thing? the car has carbon trim and big brakes!

I'm quite new to SL ownership but from what I have read the F1 bit is the extra oil cooler and front spoiler changes plus paddles instead of buttons but I could be wrong.
The performance pack front discs are expensive and again I understand last about 50K miles so if they are original you could have an eye watering replacement on the cards soon.
There are quite a few of these appearing in the adverts just of late.

I'm quite new to SL ownership but from what I have read the F1 bit is the extra oil cooler and front spoiler changes plus paddles instead of buttons but I could be wrong.
The performance pack front discs are expensive and again I understand last about 50K miles so if they are original you could have an eye watering replacement on the cards soon.
There are quite a few of these appearing in the adverts just of late.

Some have the paddle shift others don't so I guess it was an option.

Depends what year it is as paddles were not available on the earlier SL55s. Think was 2006/7 that they were introduced.

Depends what year it is as paddles were not available on the earlier SL55s. Think was 2006/7 that they were introduced.

Thanks for clearing that up, I had seen one or two with paddles and thinking about it they were later cars. I do like the paddles.

Those big brakes/disc's you refer to cost a fortune (£1,400) plus pads @ £400+ so when viewing an F1 make sure there is plenty of life left in them or budget accordingly, a 2007 should also have an alcantara covered steering wheel. Whilst early F1's had a different tyre pressure sticker inside the petrol flap stating 300kph, later one's didn't so don't fall for that red herring on a 2007.

Here's a couple of photo's of my 2007 F1, note the wheels, front brake disc's, front bumper and steering wheel as being the obvious F1 items, part of the pack also included a limited slip differential. My car is also fitted with the optional extra of Alcantara headlining and full napper leather which in English means a very soft, smooth grain to the upholstery. If the leather has a coarse grain that looks like it come from a rhino's bum then it's not nappa!

Very nice. A fellow Lotus Anorak was so impressed with mine (well they all were) he is looking to buy one. I have advised him about the road tax doubling if it's registered after March 2006.
My SL 63 has the PP and the discs seem to be coming down in price slightly but you have to be clear about these sort of running costs before you jump into SL ownership and make a good note during the initial look over any potential car.

Thanks guys, the query was is the f1 performance pack the same as the amg perforamance
Pack 030. Mercedes have confirmed the car has the
030 amg performance pack but the guy spoke to have never heard of the f1 performance pack.

The Performace Pack and F1 is one and the same thing, Mercedes have always called it PP whereas F1 was adopted by the public due to items such as the enlarged brakes being fitted to F1 pace cars etc.

Performance Package.

My car still has its booklet 'SL 55 AMG Performance Package' with the other books in the set of owners manuals. It covers some basic points about the brakes, the engines first 1000 miles, maximum speeds for the five forward gears, information about wheels & tyres and finally a couple of lines about the engine oil/filter. Nothing very revealing about the PP but written in 12 languages for the anticipated sales area.
Derek.

Last edited:
has anyone used aftermarket discs on the f1 performance pack car?

has anyone used aftermarket discs on the f1 performance pack car?

I have bought Tarox bespoke discs on my V10 Phaeton. They do make bespoke discs for the PP SL55 at about £1100 for the fronts. From a quality point of view the Tarox discs are really top notch check out the web-site. They have supplied discs for Paris-Dakar vehicles for years the quality of the materials and finish is obvious when you see the discs. If they made them for my SL63 I'd buy them without question.

My car still has its booklet 'SL 55 AMG Performance Package' with the other books in the set of owners manuals. It covers some basic points about the brakes, the engines first 1000 miles, maximum speeds for the five forward gears, information about wheels & tyres and finally a couple of lines about the engine oil/filter. Nothing very revealing about the PP but written in 12 languages for the anticipated sales area.
Derek.

Derek I have got a SL55 with the 030 but do not have the booklet you mention any chance of copying or scanning it for me?

Malcolm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom