SL55 in pieces for NTG2.5 retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
Well, i've started my mega upgrade to my 2004 SL55 :)

a) remove existing COMAND 2.0, BOSE, TV tuner, Linguatronic
b) Install
NTG2.5
Harmon Karden
Media Interface
TV tuner
DAB tuner

Photo of front is from when I first took the car apart, photo of rear is after i've removed all the old wiring from the rear, installed some of the new wiring and the new rear speakers ...

Richard

Attachments

• sl-front-apart.jpg
    sl-front-apart.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 630
  • sl-rear-apart.jpg
    sl-rear-apart.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 620
I knew I forgot something I was doing - Old phone system out, replaced by new type Comfort phone system.

I hope to have no screws left out - I even have spare clips for any door panel / trim panel clips that get damaged - I hate rattles !

Its worth remembering that if your SL is post MY05 (i.e DVD COMAND) and does not have TV or BOSE and you're just wanting to upgrade to NTG2.5 that does not require deconstruction - it is relatively simple.

The issue I had is that I had to replace the BOSE by Harmon Kardon, and I wanted to use the new antenna amps for DAB+TV, and to replace the antenna amps is a dashboard out job.

I will document it all on Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits ...

R

OMG, you Sir have kahoonas...

I bricked it just removing the airbag.

But if I did know how to take some of my car apart I sure would fix the rattles quicker than the muppets at the MB dealer!

S

nice one richard, sounds like a fun project, alot of changes!

I have nothing but respect for a man that takes a project like this head on.

Impressive work, well done for taking it on :D

Can't wait to see the finished result...

Yep..
You have Bottle and a half !
I notice your removing the Bose system for the Harmon Kardon one...Is it that much better than Bose ?

How hard would it be to retro fit a SL 500 (Sept 2004) with Bose ?

will it be finished by the week end ready for the heat wave

Y
I notice your removing the Bose system for the Harmon Kardon one...Is it that much better than Bose ?

How hard would it be to retro fit a SL 500 (Sept 2004) with Bose ?

There have been 3 "sound systems" in the SL
Original Bose "D2B" system optional until model year 2005 (what I had)
MOST based "Bose" system MY2005-MY2009
Harmon Kardon MY2009 on

As i'm putting in the MY2009 system, I have to put in the HK system (and I think the MY09 HK does sound much better, and its obvious why when you look at the speakers)

I think its quite easy to retrofit the sound system :) But its quite a lot of "deconstruction" - but that deconstruction is quite easy on the SL

Richard

Simon. Is the Bose system really poor in your SL 500. You might be able to call in on Richard on your travels and have a look at what is going on.

Richard. Blood and sand that is some rip apart. I have trouble wiring a plug!!

Simon. Is the Bose system really poor in your SL 500. You might be able to call in on Richard on your travels and have a look at what is going on.

Richard. Blood and sand that is some rip apart. I have trouble wiring a plug!!

Hi John..
No the Bose system isnt really poor in my car...
Cos it doesn't have a Bose system..Its the bog standard system !:eek:

Can't believe I missed this, will be following progress, I love this kind of thread, much respect fella.
Jon.

Getting there - didn't get to do anything over the weekend ..

Wiring is in, still need to work out
a) How to fix the amp down (cant fit correct bracket in place of existing as existing is welded in)
b) Where to put the TV tuner, can't go in the MY09 position, need to see if I can put it in the MY04 position.
c) Why I have noise only as a picture from the TV - need to do this before I can re-assemble the dash incase its the antenna amps - suspect the TV tuner though, it was an eBay purchase some time ago.
d) How to fix the DAB tuner in place as I cant put in the MY09 bracket (I think)

Here is a picture of it running, with me listening to DAB !! The HK sounds very very good :)

Richard

Attachments

• R230-DAB-Pic.jpg
    R230-DAB-Pic.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 469
Here is a picture of it running, with me listening to DAB !! The HK sounds very very good :)
This isn't quite obvious from the picture but it must sound very good, what else could have kept you from finishing the work. :)

Well Looking Good Richard !

I can't wait to get that mountain of boxes in my garage into the car too.

NTG2.5 DVD Changer/Ipod Media Interface/Sirius Sat Radio/HD Radio/HK Overhaul

Marc

Heres where it is now - dash back in, COMAND installled and working :)

Things to do

a) Work out where to put TV tuner. Probably modify the loom and put on the left side.

b) Work out how to fit DAB tuner (if I can find a bracket that will fix on existing bolts, another different bracket now on order!)

c) Make some sort of bracket to hold the HK amp as the old BOSE bracket is wrong and is welded in place

Richard

Attachments

• R230-being-reassembled.jpg
    R230-being-reassembled.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 380
I'm impressed by your technical know-how. Clearly the place to go if we've a problem with MB electronics...!

LOL!!
yeah, I think he's getting the hang of it!
:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom