SL55 possibly wanted to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham21

Car
E55 AMG
Hi All,

Now I have my E55 my brother now has the AMG bug and is looking for a well maintained SL55.

If anyone is thinking about selling please let me know. He would prefer to buy from a forum member.

Sl

I'd look at an SL500 too
I have a lovely SL500 that is both fast and comfortable to drive
The price of SL55 AMGs are rising and I'm not convinced of the premium price
Just a thought

+1
I had an SL500, great to drive and much cheaper brake components!

Thank all, I've let him know so he is having a look.

There always a cheaper alternative.

Why not suggest a SL350. Infact just get a skoda there cheap.

SL55 is an awesome car. I love mine. Maybe one day for sale however it's probably not your cup of tea ha ha!

Make sure you have one with replaced roof motor, all suspension systems and alternators at a minimum. They cost a fortune.

There's a whole "for sale" section with cars you are probably also not interested in...

If the direction is a 55, a 500 will bring utter disappointment in comparison.

You will also not save big numbers buying a 500 over a 55 either.

Hey John

Don't disagree, but a 383bhp SL 500 with a remap? Maybe close to a SL55. Asking because I don't know but would be interested if anyone's done this.
The 55 engine is a lot to try to emulate though.

Sl55

There's a whole "for sale" section with cars you are probably also not interested in...

If the direction is a 55, a 500 will bring utter disappointment in comparison.

You will also not save big numbers buying a 500 over a 55 either.

Not sure about that
My SL500 was £94000 new. Big spec car
But the equivalent 55 is now £10000+ more
One has come on at £38k with low miles - 21000
And the F1 pace cars are above £40k now
On a good day mine is £18k
I'd not pay another £10/£15k for the AMG car

Hey John

Don't disagree, but a 383bhp SL 500 with a remap? Maybe close to a SL55. Asking because I don't know but would be interested if anyone's done this.
The 55 engine is a lot to try to emulate though.

The 55Ks start at a claimed 476BHP but most are running around 500BHP for kick off (mine was 510) - not to mention the massive low down torque delivery which really gets the show on the road quickly.

So you are already getting on for 120BHP ahead without doing anything.

Add a remap into the mix, and you are talking maybe 50/60BHP at most on a 500? Even if you said 80, which is unlikely as 55Ks manage this and forced induction always give more returns - you are still below the marketed for the standard 55 and again, they are up at the 500. Add a remap there and you are up into the 550/560s on a 55.

A remapped 500 is not even close to the performance of a supercharged 55 - it will just pull away.

Night and day!

I've had an NA V8 (Alpina B10 V8) and those are running at around 350BHP. Miles behind the E55 in terms of performance.

Not sure about that
My SL500 was £94000 new. Big spec car
But the equivalent 55 is now £10000+ more
One has come on at £38k with low miles - 21000
And the F1 pace cars are above £40k now
On a good day mine is £18k
I'd not pay another £10/£15k for the AMG car

If the OP's brother has caught the AMG bug, a 500 is just going to disappoint all day long.

Having been through the same thing myself, I get it.

I was referring to running costs in my post, but arguably the buying price of a sorted SL55 is up there but you can good ones in the mid range where the seller isn't taking the michael. When it comes to resale, as long as there aren't too many more miles loaded on and the history/provenance is kept up, a decent resale price is achievable.

I can understand why you would not pay that much on top for an AMG, and indeed I am the same now, but this will not work for the OP's brother IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice guys. It needs to be a 55 AMG for him. Understandably!

Sl55

I get that too
Have the car fully inspected by a MB dealer
Just had a full health check on my SL500
Stuff but £4000 worth
11 years old ... brakes, suspension bellows, roof seal, ....

Big ticket items so get it checked fully
If they go wrong it's big bucks

Find a good one and enjoy

The SL55 is a very different beast to the SL500. I looked at both before i settled on the SL500 but my decision was based purely on price, i just couldn't justify paying £10k to £15k more for a comparable SL55, plus all the higher maintnance costs, for a 2nd car i would only use at the weekends on a sunny day. BTW I paid £10k for a 2004 SL500 the end of last year.

Garaham,

Make sure your colleague isn't swayed by SL500 prices. They are a complete disappointment compared to the SL55. The 500 will continue to drop and the 55 will rise over the next few years as people realise there is a gaping chasm between them. You are wasting your time with the 500.
The beauty of the SL55 is its torque between 2600 and 4000 revs. It launches itself fwd faster than most cars on the road. You stop comparing 0-60 times and instead you start comparing 0-100 in which the SL55 is awesome (10.3 seconds).
When it was launched in 2002 it was one of the fastest sports cars available. It was in the top 10 for 0-100 in the world.
It was also more expensive than the average british home!

Mine shows receipts for £102,800 new. (Designo paintwork and Type IV Split Rims pushed it beyond the stock £89,000.

Things to watch out for on an old SL55:
These Supercars are "relatively" cheap to run (compared to my previous Maserati).
The most expensive parts tend to come from suspension territory.
Rear bushes are expensive because you have to drop the rear axle to get to them (£700)(Bushes: £60).
Front lower ball joints normally £3000. BUT and this is important there is a VOSA approved operator in Liverpool who will change them for....£120 plus VAT! (For both].
ABC liquid suspension needs clinical treatment. Change the fluid and filter every 2 years and she won't let you down.

Engine - bullet proof - over engineered to cater for the extra power.

Folding roof - make sure the power unit hasn't been soaked by leaking seals (£1200).

The car is small, looks small, feels small - weighs 2000Kg!! You can tell, the moment you open/shut the fort knox doors!

The car is drive by wire and sometimes if you thrash the throttle. it can get confused and goes into limp mode for safety. Not clever when you are asking for 500HP on tap!

Steer clear of Silver - so boring and very very common.

Front light lens go opaque if stored outside for months (£600 each)(£300 on E Bay from Romania).

The car won't let you down - she is a monster motor and provided you don't have a pop at something like an RS6 or a tweaked Focus RS, you'll be ahead of the pack.:bannana:

Sl55

The prices of SL55s are increasing that's for sure - possibly between £5000 and £10000 for good ones in the past year

Oddly enough I had my SL500 picked up for a service by MB main dealer > Question ? Would you prefer the SL500 or the 55AMG ?

Reply - for every day driving the SL500 as the AMG is too snappy

But if you want the kick in the head as you accelerate then the AMG is the one

I am lucky to have a 991 GT3 for that kick

The SL500 is the perfect contrast without being slow - but not stupidly fast

The beauty of the SL55 is its torque between 2600 and 4000 revs. It launches itself fwd faster than most cars on the road. You stop comparing 0-60 times and instead you start comparing 0-100 in which the SL55 is awesome (10.3 seconds).
When it was launched in 2002 it was one of the fastest sports cars available. It was in the top 10 for 0-100 in the world.

And then 2003 arrived and the non AMG SL monster, much more fun 100-200 :D:eek:

Garaham,

Make sure your colleague isn't swayed by SL500 prices. They are a complete disappointment compared to the SL55. The 500 will continue to drop and the 55 will rise over the next few years as people realise there is a gaping chasm between them. You are wasting your time with the 500.
It was also more expensive than the average british home!

Mine shows receipts for £102,800 new. (Designo paintwork and Type IV Split Rims pushed it beyond the stock £89,000.

Things to watch out for on an old SL55:
These Supercars are "relatively" cheap to run (compared to my previous Maserati).
The most expensive parts tend to come from suspension territory.
Rear bushes are expensive because you have to drop the rear axle to get to them (£700)(Bushes: £60).
Front lower ball joints normally £3000. BUT and this is important there is a VOSA approved operator in Liverpool who will change them for....£120 plus VAT! (For both].
ABC liquid suspension needs clinical treatment. Change the fluid and filter every 2 years and she won't let you down.

Engine - bullet proof - over engineered to cater for the extra power.

Folding roof - make sure the power unit hasn't been soaked by leaking seals (£1200).

The car is small, looks small, feels small - weighs 2000Kg!! You can tell, the moment you open/shut the fort knox doors!

The car is drive by wire and sometimes if you thrash the throttle. it can get confused and goes into limp mode for safety. Not clever when you are asking for 500HP on tap!

Steer clear of Silver - so boring and very very common.

Front light lens go opaque if stored outside for months (£600 each)(£300 on E Bay from Romania).

The car won't let you down - she is a monster motor and provided you don't have a pop at something like an RS6 or a tweaked Focus RS, you'll be ahead of the pack.:bannana:

Thanks for the very good information. He's having one inspected on Friday.

The lower ball joint repair from Liverpool is £120/each, I had the 2 fronts on my SL done there last year - top job...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom