SL55/R230 advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

500E

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 E500 Limited / 2008 C63 AMG
Hello all,

I am considering replacing my 08' W204 C63 with an 06' R230 SL55. I have found a car and about the push the button [car checks out very well and is a Kleemann K4] - I am hoping to daily drive the car to and from work (only a few miles) and the occasional few days of non-use.

I am slightly concerned about the battery use of the SL55/R230, R230's seem to be prone to draining batteries (to the extent it is widely regarded a "normal" feature of the car). I do not have access to power where my cars are parked and therefore leaving the car on a trickle charger is not an option.

Would it be normal for an SL55 to be left for 2-3 days and have a flat battery? The current owner essentially hardly drives it so it lives on a trickle charge.

Cheers,

Bilal

If the battery is in good condition it should hold a charge for a couple of days without a problem.
But repeated starts and short trips will deplete the voltage to a point it will need an overnight charge.

If the battery is more than 4 years old, I'd change it for a new MB one so you are beginning ownership with a known good battery.
Don't forget to check the auxiliary battery either. It's often forgotten and a low voltage one can cause spurious faults. A Varta replacement from Tayna Batteries is around £40 compared to an OEM Fiamm closer to £100

Last edited:
I've had two R230's. I don't think you'll have problems if you don't leave it unused for weeks.

I make it a point of principle never to replace even ten year old batteries. I cycle them through on a CTEK and they perform just fine after that.

Lots of R230's and expensive convertibles generally (especially 911's) are left unused for the entire winter, or for several months at a time, and these can struggle when the owner eventually decides to take it for a spin.

I don't think you'll have a problem. Buy a new battery if there's a problem, and a NOCO battery jump starter, if you must.

But you should be good if you're driving it three times a week. And you should be fine if your "proper holidays" are only 2-3 weeks at a time.

I wouldn’t think any car should go flat in 2-3 days. 2-3 weeks - perhaps, but certainly not days. If it goes flat that quick it has a fault, pure and simple. Needs someone with a bit of knowledge to diagnose and repair properly. Could be stuff as simple as modules not going to sleep on the CAN-bus or something like an alarm siren with a faulty internal battery causing a parasitic drain etc.

Maybe buy new batteries as a starting point (no pun intended) and invest in a power bank type charger. Keep it serviced at MB and you’ll have Mobilo cover should you need it anyway.

I agree with others, used as a daily driver should be fine. Mine only goes on charge when I know it’s not going to be used for a while.

in essence, a flat battery won’t be a problem if driven regularly.

The issue is whether you can put up with mpg in the teens, an expensive repair once a year, and the frustration of not being able to find enough derestricted roads to enjoy that 500 bhp -
/ 0-100 in 10 seconds on.

Two or three, even five days shouldn’t hurt it. The battery that drains is the consumer battery so you loose all the clever neat stuff like remote locking, electric seats, roof etc until the battery is charged. The main/starter battery seems well protected from parasitic draws so will always start the car. It can take anywhere from ten to twenty minutes of driving to charge the consumer battery up enough for the car to start using it. Just get used to opening the door using the key again (it’s the 70s all over again).

Hello all,

I am considering replacing my 08' W204 C63 with an 06' R230 SL55. I have found a car and about the push the button [car checks out very well and is a Kleemann K4] - I am hoping to daily drive the car to and from work (only a few miles) and the occasional few days of non-use.

I am slightly concerned about the battery use of the SL55/R230, R230's seem to be prone to draining batteries (to the extent it is widely regarded a "normal" feature of the car). I do not have access to power where my cars are parked and therefore leaving the car on a trickle charger is not an option.

Would it be normal for an SL55 to be left for 2-3 days and have a flat battery? The current owner essentially hardly drives it so it lives on a trickle charge.

Cheers,

Bilal
Btw will it be garaged? I’d be more concerned with potential leaks into the boot if it’s not garaged.

in essence, a flat battery won’t be a problem if driven regularly.

The issue is whether you can put up with mpg in the teens, an expensive repair once a year, and the frustration of not being able to find enough derestricted roads to enjoy that 500 bhp -
/ 0-100 in 10 seconds on.
If he is buying the car in Dubai then this won’t matter 😃 and plenty of scope for a solar charger too..

If he is buying the car in Dubai then this won’t matter 😃 and plenty of scope for a solar charger too..
Ah, missed that bit !

Plenty of bargains there, for sure. And yes, a £20 solar trickle charger would definitely fix the problem.

This SL has two batteries... front for starting only.. rear for everything else... drive it regularly and it will be fine if the batteries are in good condition.

If you live in London.. get the rear boot seal replaced first.. If it leaks.. it will cost you a pile of money as it will allow water into your PSE central locking pump.. which is not waterproof.. if you live in Dubai.. it won't be a worry.
Great car.. thrilling to drive.. feels very special.

Thank you all - very helpful responses. I'm just negotiating a deal with the seller now...car will be garaged both home and at work.

Here is the inspection video I had commissioned earlier this week if anyone is interested in the check up

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom