Sl55 rear struts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karozza

Car
SL55 AMG/C180 K
So, one of my rear struts is now weeping fluid & so eventually will have to be replaced :fail

My question; do these have to be replaced in pairs as we normally do with normal shock absorbers, or is it safe to just replace the one unit??

Hi Karozza,

Yes you can replace each units seperately, I did this for my CL55K, last year - and I'm almost 100% sure they are the same ABC set up.

Be careful, (as you may already know) they are very very, expensive !! from memory, I seem to recall Merc wanted c.£1500 for each unit.:eek:

Have a look at the US and German suppliers who supply the re-furbed units as they are great value.

Hope that helps

Jitzz

Hi Karozza,

Yes you can replace each units seperately, I did this for my CL55K, last year - and I'm almost 100% sure they are the same ABC set up.

Be careful, (as you may already know) they are very very, expensive !! from memory, I seem to recall Merc wanted c.£1500 for each unit.:eek:

Have a look at the US and German suppliers who supply the re-furbed units as they are great value.

Hope that helps

Jitzz

Thanks Jitzz for the reply.

I will go for a single unit then...I have seen the ones by Arnott in the US but would like to study further, as I have to calculate postage & duty.

They offer $ 300 for your defective unit but I wonder if they accept international returns & if it's worth it after postage.

Jitzz, do you know who are the German suppliers as i would prefer buying from the EU??

I've replaced both rear shocks on my cl55 with used ones. My car is lowered so the bump stops got smashed up on each side, they still "worked" but they were not performing 100%. Since I've had the replacements in, I rarely drive the car slammed and I've not had a problem in afew years with them.

I'm definitely going to try a used unit...the hunt is on. Preferably would like to find one from the EU to avoid expenses/complications from the US.

My part number is A230 320 3213 & it has the AMG sticker but I keep finding part numbers that are just a digit off & mostly not from an AMG car; will this make a difference?? Sometimes the part number is like A230 320 0213/ or 0013 or 5213 :dk:

Attachments

• IMG_3435[1].jpg
    IMG_3435[1].jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 4
I'm definitely going to try a used unit...the hunt is on. Preferably would like to find one from the EU to avoid expenses/complications from the US.

My part number is A230 320 3213 & it has the AMG sticker but I keep finding part numbers that are just a digit off & mostly not from an AMG car; will this make a difference?? Sometimes the part number is like A230 320 0213/ or 0013 or 5213 :dk:

One of the struts I used was from an s500 (the s class and cl share a lot of parts) it was fine, though don't hold me to that on the SL!

Try using Elektronik, Autos, Mode, Sammlerstücke, Gutscheine und mehr Online-Shopping | eBay and Google translate to search for what you need!!! I've also found a lot of parts doing this!

I know its the states but it's new and dirt cheap:

Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG Shock Absorber Rear Right

These are remanufactured Arnott units. By the time you have paid shipping, then added duty and Vat to the cost and the shipping combined, then they will no longer be cheap. Buying from their European website would be cheaper....and they are exchange which means at the checkout a $300 core deposit is added until you return the old part for repair. That is why Arnott stopped shipping from the US to Europe for a while as the couriers were charging over a hundred quid to return the exchange units.

Arnott Europe - Air Suspension products - www.ArnottEurope.com

Last edited:
When all is calculated, & if you send your unit to them for the core refund, the price is still around € 950 + courier postage. To me, this is cheaper than the MB original part but still expensive!

Once someone can help me out with my part number to establish what matches with mine, I'm hunting down a used one. So far, mine is just weeping.

Unless the strut fails completely & will need an immediate replacement!

I think MB might even offer refurbished units themselves now, I'm sure someone told me before... Always worth a call to find out?!

m2287 said:
I think MB might even offer refurbished units themselves now, I'm sure someone told me before... Always worth a call to find out?!
Just checked with the incompetent sales rep at MB here, apparently re-manufactured struts are not on the system, hence not available. But, I can order a new one at the bargain price of € 2227.00 dde33

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the replacement strut has to be an AMG Badged strut or is this just another ploy to jack up the price by putting an AMG sticker on a regular part number??

I ask for two reasons; firstly, I have seen quite a few used ones from other SL models with ABC but are not AMG & secondly, even the re-manufactured units don't seem to mention AMG or not?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom