SL55 rear wheel hopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benjy88

Car
E55 AMG
Hi everyone, my sl rear wheels feel like they are hopping while accelerating from standstill if the car starts to wheel spin, have tried searching for possible causes but cannot find anything.
Only thing I can think of is the rear tyres need replacing because they have gone hard.
Wondered if any of you lot had the same sorta thing?

Thanks

Only thing I can suggest is:
as the wheels start spinning, they move horizontally a fraction due to the applied torque. Traction control kicks in and undoes this 'excessive' torque stopping the horizontal movement instantaneously thus giving the impression the car has 'hopped' somewhat.

^^ That. Are you sure it isn't the traction control?

Have you or someone else actually observed the rear wheels hopping or is a sensation you feel from inside the cab and have drawn a conclusion? How old are the springs and dampers on the rear out of interest?

Benjy: get someone to film your car from behind when you next try it?

It used to be called axle tramp and it was common on cars with solid rear axles. You may have a bad shock absorber, soft bush or worn diff mounts

Nick Froome

Get a Limited slip diff fitted, best thing i ever did, mind you i had something similar a few weeks ago, it was cold and damp, had a bad vibration/juddering, looked down and saw the traction control light flashing and that was at ***mph :rock:

The tyres are 4 years old on the rear now so won't be helping I think, but as today was a fairly glorious day it never did it once so I think it's down to the shear torque and low amounts of traction and traction control trying to hold it back. Thanks guys

Does the car feel like it "skips" to the left or right when you go over bumps?

Nope the car runs straight and true over bumps. Hopefully a new set of rears will do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom