Sl55 sluggish response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Musicaljoe

Car
2002 SL55
Hi all, wondering if the knowledgeable bods on here can give me a bit of advice...

My SL55 has always seemed to me to have an issue with a sort of delay before accelerating. I've read a lot about the 2002 SL55 auto box being a little sluggish, but I'm convinced this is a 'Problem' rather than a 'characteristic'.

Most obvious issue is if I'm driving along at 30mph for a mile or two, when it's time to put my foot down, in the worst case scenarios there's a 3-4 second delay before ANYTHING happens. Literally it's like you haven't even pressed the pedal.

But also, it always seems to have a big delay when I want power. Perhaps the best way I can explain it is... whatever speed I'm at, obviously if I want to go faster I’ll press the throttle. I'll be at (say) 2000rpm. After putting my foot down, for a second or two, the car tries to accelerate in whatever gear it is in at that point. But then it sort of realises that it can't accelerate very fast in that gear (probably 4 or 5) so drops to 3, or perhaps 2. When it's gone to the right gear, everything is fine and acceleration comes quickly. It's that big delay before it gets itself into the right gear that seems ‘off’.

In manual mode, I don't have the problem, because I'm choosing to go down a gear or two with the switches. So it doesn't seem like a problem with the gearbox itself.

I was trying to work out if there was maybe a sensor problem... and this COULD be it... let's say I'm in 4th in 'Manual mode' and doing 30-40mph, if I put my foot down (without changing gear) there's very very slow build-up of speed. But that's at maybe 1500/2000 revs, so maybe that's normal. Or maybe it's not giving the right air mix at low revs... not sure!

I then read a post about the throttle position sensor, and think this might actually be it. Someone mentioned that if this isn't working properly, the car can get mixed messages about what it should be doing.... that would explain both the 'nothing at all happening' problem AND the 'wrong gear' feeling..

So… any thoughts would be welcomed! Thanks in advance for your advice.
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom