SL55 with 1600 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame to see that such a nice car has been sitting around pretty much hidden for the last 16 years, my guess is the next owner will do the same with it. I suppose that's what is expected with 'collectables' , same when a 'billionaire' spends £40 million on a piece of art and hides it in his private collection. At least this one has a bit more than 'delivery' miles on it.

Stunning colour combo!

Stunning colour combo!

Yes, it's a cracking looking example. Not colours I've seen on the interior or exterior before that I can remember.

I do think they look best in black though albeit a little common.

Three services since 2004 :mad:

...but yeah... that would put me off completely.

So unnecessary.

I guess they took a commercial decision not to service it as that would eat into their profit.

Shame.

If you like to look at it, take pictures and sell the car on to be used.

Tragic shame. Threw away half his £120,000 over 16 years, but more importantly....

If he'd put that money into FTSE All Share, it would be worth £400+ k now. (8% return, all divs reinvested)

Last edited:
I must have put 3000 miles on my SL55 in the 5 years that I've owned it.
It's overdue for a workout and could use some differed mtc also.

One for the collector, I suspect. If the new owner starts using it, the percentage depreciation will be even greater than if the original owner had done so.

That’s a cracker but at a hefty price.

My 2004 350 SL had only 7800 miles when I collected it on May 1st last year.
It had been dealer serviced every year, MOT’d every year (after 3 years) plus it had been road taxed for 12 months every year. It only covered 70 miles one year.

Now at 10,000 and I can’t wait to get back out in it this spring.

You couldn't service it any more on 1600 miles.

I would want at least an 1 or 2 yearly oil and fluid change unless they have been drained.

16 year old oil and fluids wouldn't fill me with much confidence.

Not to mention all the things that dry out and crack as they are not kept lubricated.

Like the colour combo. Big money, but I always look at these things in comparison as to how much you’d pay for the new equivalent. Drive it and the depreciation will be cruel, but cars are meant to be driven. Cars like this are a dying breed, unfortunately, so I hope someone does use it and enjoy it before you can’t buy the fuel for it any more..

Cheers,

Gaz

I would want at least an 1 or 2 yearly oil and fluid change unless they have been drained.

16 year old oil and fluids wouldn't fill me with much confidence.

Not to mention all the things that dry out and crack as they are not kept lubricated.
I agree. It will have to be recommissioned. That'll knock a few ££££ off the asking price.

After 16 years (even in a controlled environment) the tyres must have deteriorated , they might be OEM but I wouldn't want to drive on them. Put new ones on to drive and keep the old OEM ones ready for the next time it shows its face at auction perhaps ?

As Petrol Pete has already said, it’ll take an engineer a few days to recommission that car, from rust on the disks, through dried out pipes to potential damage and seizing throughout the whole car.

Count in that labour cost, as well as the liquids and various other bits and pieces. Don’t assume for one minute that any electrical motors will work 16 years after leaving the factory.

Tyres? Fit only for the bin. No-one should be driving on 16 year old tyres, let alone anyone driving a high performance motor.

This is not a wash and charge the battery job.

Ideal for a museum, but a 40k mile car for half the price (£30k) would be a much wiser buy. (Put the rest on a Boris Bounce or Mercedes shares)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow to buy that and not take it out, criminal!

My Boris only had 2850 miles when I got him, was serviced bang on schedule every year :)
Dread to think how much it cost to run “per mile” once depreciation/VED/insurance etc is all added up.
I did have to change the original tyres, despite having plenty of tread they were rubbish.
Some people just have too much dosh lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not bought one quite that low but my old E63 had 11k miles when I bought it around 7 years old. Had been serviced every year though, once twice in less than 100 miles. I don’t think that really matters if it’s been stored correctly and has less than 1600 miles from new. It’s only going to be as good as it’s recent service anyway - what difference is it going to make if someone’s replaced the oil filter eight times in 1600 miles etc, for it to be parked up for another two years or whatever.

I doubt that there’s anything wrong with it. Probably has spent the majority of its life in storage, obviously indoors - perhaps climate controlled storage etc. A set of tyres - really?. I would expect that if it’s been serviced 87 miles ago that MB would have flagged those up (they do check the DOT codes and condition on services) - along with anything else that’s amiss. This is not some old classic that’s been rotting outside, I am fairly sure of that.

If the tyres happen to be the originals, it’s something that you’d change when it’s ready to be used in anger. Little point if it’s going back into storage though! :)

Funny how if this was a 1960s SL no one would be questioning the ages of the tyres or suggesting faults from storage. I expect in another 15 years when you can no longer buy new petrol cars perhaps people will be pleased to see a few museum quality examples like this that have been preserved and kept as close to factory original condition as possible :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom