SL55 with 1600 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do love these, and ones with the performance pack are never cheap these days anyway. Do we reckon the original owner speculated it as an investment and got it wrong or just had too many cars to drive it/care!?

My bid would be a bloke with a lot of money who is buying it as a piece of art.

Someone like Ian Poulter, who owns 14 Ferraris that he doesn't have time to drive because he's always working and out of the country.

It's not about an investment return - Ian simply earns more money than he can ever use.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In comparison, how about a 2002 SL55 with 30,000 on the clock for maybe a third of that price, at a bit less than £25k ?

A cooking bitter SL55, rather than an "F1 Performance pack" but still a looker.

Two owner, MB history.

Ref 179 2002 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG Kompresser MRP

e092f322764e6991c2b75d66d49435de8cb808e0.jpg

The 2002-2008 R230 SL (especially the AMG’s) really are ageless and still look fresh - the two posted on this thread are exquisite examples.

That auction car looks lovely, I agree. And if it sells for close to that guide price looks like good value.

But it’s a bit like the law of diminishing returns, with most things that you buy there comes a point where you have to spend a disproportionate amount more for the very best examples - which in practical terms aren’t ‘worth’ all that much more to the average buyer - but that doesn’t stop some people paying much higher amounts for them though.

A tidy SL55 is a desirable car, and one with the 030 Performance package and 1600 miles is about as good as it gets. Be interesting to see what they’re worth as the years pass by, I think all SL55s have well and truly bottomed out some while back, and good examples will no doubt start to appreciate over time.

Consider how much these performance cars from just 10-15 years before the SL55 are fetching nowadays:

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/events/2016-auctions/race-retro-classic-car-sale-2016/race-retro-classic-competition-car-sale-2016/2pm-saturday-cars/1990-mercedes-benz-190-e-2.5-16-evolution-ii

Ford Sierra RS Cosworth stored in a garage sells at auction for £86k

And a pretty tidy BMW 325 (note, not an M3!), but with just 6k miles:

1991 BMW 325i (E30) Sport

Maybe £60k for a 1600 mile SL55 PP isn’t so bad after all... :cool:

Perhaps better for comparison:

Non-performance pack, but same year SL55 with 4500 miles.

Sold for £44k in October last year (previously sold for £47k also)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG

Asking price on the 1600 miler is £59,990 - so I don’t think he’s that many miles away from what it’s worth if lower specced cars with three times the mileage are selling for £45k+ IMHO :thumb:

Last edited:
That auction car looks lovely, I agree. And if it sells for close to that guide price looks like good value.
But it’s a bit like the law of diminishing returns, with most things that you buy there comes a point where you have to spend a disproportionate amount more for the very best examples - which in practical terms aren’t ‘worth’ all that much more to the average buyer - but that doesn’t stop some people paying much higher amounts for them though.
A tidy SL55 is a desirable car, and one with the 030 Performance package and 1600 miles is about as good as it gets. Be interesting to see what they’re worth as the years pass by, I think all SL55s have well and truly bottomed out some while back, and good examples will no doubt start to appreciate over time.
Consider how much these performance cars from just 10-15 years before the SL55 are fetching nowadays:
1990 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II
Ford Sierra RS Cosworth stored in a garage sells at auction for £86k
And a pretty tidy BMW 325 (note, not an M3!), but with just 6k miles:
1991 BMW 325i (E30) Sport
Maybe £60k for a 1600 mile SL55 PP isn’t so bad after all... :cool:

I love the V8 SL, and I suspect I'll be buy a facelift 2007 some time in 2020/21, after I've found something down the back of the sofa ...but...

Not many will call SL's performance cars - they're Grand Tourers. The anoraks who buy Cosworth engined Mercs and Fords are a different people from SL55 owners.

IMHO, the for older SL's is older SL's. Arguably the 1980's Bobby Ewing SL450 is the equivalent luxury car from that era. it was a rare car, at the time, compared to the modern R230.

(I know this will wind up SL55 owners who love to drive their motors by the Jesus handles, but hey, it's good for a debate)

$_85.JPG

Last edited:

And that is it in a nutshell. Personally, I'd call the 'some people' mugs, but they buy cars for somewhat different reasons to me, and if they choose to spend their money that way, good luck to them.

I own four generations of SLs

W113 280SL California Coupe
W107 (450SLC 5.0, 280SL 5 speed, 500SL)
R129 SL500 (M119, 722.6)
R230 SL55

They all have their charms by far, the R230 is a faster, more competent and exciting car. It's also more complex and thus more expensive to fix and scary for the DIY enthusiast.

As a general rule, cars lose their value as soon as they leave the new car dealer lot and don't bottom out until they're about 20 years old. By then, the best cars will start going up in value and the worse cars will cars will become parts cars.
  • R230's are still on the downward slope and because of their complexity, they will be heading in that direction for a while. That said, get one while you can still find good ones because more and more will start passing through the hands of people that can't afford them
  • R129's are starting to creep up slowly as the worse cars are disappearing
  • R107's and doing great, especially the gen 2 cars with the alloy engines because they're dead simple to fix, iconic and parts are still easy to source
  • W113's are in the stratosphere from a cost and restoration perspective. Mine is a bare shell right now, I have fixed all the rust, but there is still plenty to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom