Sl60 amg suspension r129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Les

Car
1997 SL60
I was doing a bit of research on what suspension is fitted to my '97 r129 SL60 AMG and it appear from the registration card that it has option 793 the 8" and 10" wide AMG wheels but does not have the AMG suspension option No 783.
I'm guessing that my car has standard Sl500 suspension.

So question is does anybody know what is the AMG suspension option? Is it stiffer springs/shocks or what.

Any experts out there?

Hmm that sounds a bit odd as 793 wasn't an option on the SL60 - the multi-piece AMG alloys came as standard. Same goes for 772, which was the body kit ... again this was standard on the SL60 then.

783 was an option (rarely seen) on all R129s apart from the SL600 (which had ADS as standard), and my understanding is that it was an adjustable sports suspension. That's not to say that the standard suspension on the SL60 was the same as the 500 - I'm pretty sure the springs and shocks were different, as you suggest.

Of course you could also have Adaptive Damping (214) on the SL60, but this is very rare (because of the cost, presumably).

Bodykit wasn't standard on the SL60 Bill

Bodykit wasn't standard on the SL60 Bill

Not to start with but the OP's car is a '97 - it was definitely standard equipment by then. Sept. 1996 UK R129 pricelist:

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks for replies.
Agreed the body kit and wheels are prob standard fitment on my SL60. I was just curious as to what was code 783. If it was the ADS then I don't have it and from what I've read it was quite rare.
But does anybody know if the SL60 AMG had different suspension to the SL500. I've read the parts cat on line and from discussions at my very helpful local MB stores dept it appears to be the same.
Any views more expert knowledge to say differently?

I was pretty sure that the shocks at least were AMG-specific on the SL60, but EPC would confirm or deny that. Maybe an SL60 owner will know for sure.

I've never personally come across any R129 with the 783 'sports suspension' option, and I've only ever heard of one SL60 fitted with ADS!

Not to start with but the OP's car is a '97 - it was definitely standard equipment by then. Sept. 1996 UK R129 pricelist:

On the earlier cars it wasn't :thumb:

I have an electronic copy of the document for the AMG suspension kit, but it's aimed at the pre-facelift cars.

Looks like stiffer springs with approx 10-15mm lowering, and different shocks to match

I'm going into MB tomorrow to collect some bits and will ask the parts dept to check again.
I replaced the front struts with ones I bought on ebay a couple of years ago - they were Bilstein with Lorenser upgrades from memory.

Incidentally as previously posted on this frorum - they genuine bits from Mercedes like brake discs are very reasonable.

Did some more research at weekend plus spoke to helpful MB parts dept.
Springs and all suspension parts are all same as SL500 only the shocks are uprated. Brakes are also bigger.

Did some more research at weekend plus spoke to helpful MB parts dept.
Springs and all suspension parts are all same as SL500 only the shocks are uprated. Brakes are also bigger.

Thought the shocks were different. Brakes are the SL600 ones I think?

That's what I think as well.
Brakes - same as SL600 - just bought new discs from MB £42 each inc vat!
pads £45 for set. Very good value.
Just shocks are uprated.

Yup, brakes are stock SL600 ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom