Sl60 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was too dear the first time and still too dear now.

Was too dear the first time and still too dear now.

Prices of SL60's are firming....this went in December:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...06-BONHAMS-554

and remember that's the hammer price so it was probably nearer £18k

also another one went the other day for nearly £15k and that wasn't as nice.

These cars are so rare that condition is all, their sheer lack of numbers make it impossible to make a normal market for them, at the end of the day it's what people will pay. If someone takes a punt on an uncertain example that comes good, it's hardly an accurate base from which to extrapolate a market.

I wasn't sure why I managed to get mine so cheap at the time but I have seen a few around the £10k mark and all the way to £25k. I guess it goes back to the old adage that it is worth what anyone wants to pay.

I agree that these can only start to firm up as I can't seem them ever being worth any less than £10k really. They are only going to get more rare as gradually some may fall to the wayside at some point.

Just got a new rear nearside wing for mine which will get replaced this winter. It was on my to do list as had a poor paint job on that wing day one when I bought it which was factored into the price. Well so I thought....until I found that the panel is EOL and is nearly £1k! Luckily managed to source a brand new genuine one from a spares place for a song. Just got to get someone to cut the old one off and fit/spray the new one.

The only other problem when I bought it was some warped and ill fitting door cards but hopefully I have sourced a pair of these as well so she should be in fine fettle by the end of the year.

How is your SL60 treating you?

Does that Bonhams link still work?

I habe been keeping an eye on sl60's for a while now and they still are within the same range they were two years ago from what i can see. You get the odd one that seems to sell for a lot but then others, like the the two silver ones from late last year for ten grand and Rockits that took months to sell.

Right buyer at the right time perhaps for them?

I have been keeping an eye on sl60's for a while now and they still are within the same range they were two years ago from what i can see. You get the odd one that seems to sell for a lot but then others, like the the two silver ones from late last year for ten grand and Rockits that took months to sell.

Right buyer at the right time perhaps for them?

I think I caught my seller at the right time and couldn't have got it any cheaper. The guy I bought mine from had it up for sale and off for nearly two years I think gradually getting cheaper all the time. I think he started it too high and always had it too high the cheaper it got. If he had lowered the price a bit each time I am sure he would have sold it many times over for much more than I paid in the end.

Last edited:
Yup, works now. Just goes to show that the prices are a bit varied to say the least and lookslike they will continue to be. Not sure I could pay that much for this one though. Not sure I like the older interior's and a 1991 model is a fair bit older than the bulk of SL60's. Most I have seen seem to be around the 1997 mark.

As to be expected; IIRC SL60's were produced between 96-on, and displayed in the Mercedes brochures?.

In '91 it would have been AMG of the old school, and often referred to as a 500SL 6.0AMG to reflect its converted 500SL nature.

I was v interested in the above car but he is asking too much for a car that has 100K miles.

Although from email dialogue the car is well sorted.

If it had 60K miles then 15K is a good price as it would hold its value... as the car gets over the 100K, its value will never be up there with the real collectible ones.

I was v interested in the above car but he is asking too much for a car that has 100K miles.

Although from email dialogue the car is well sorted.

If it had 60K miles then 15K is a good price as it would hold its value... as the car gets over the 100K, its value will never be up there with the real collectible ones.

You can have mine for £15k! ;)

I know how much you paid for yours and it was a bargain... being a car dealer, I wouldnt sleep at night!

Haha...don't think I would be able to either!

I only got it a bit cheaper as it needed come love, care and more importantly money spent on it. After this years new rear off-side quarter panel/wing replacement and door cards my spend so far to date will be around £4k I think but I will have a tot up.

I wouldn't sell it anyway as have invested the £4k effectively in the car long term. Ollie @ PCS has replaced both sets of cam oilers for me so far. I had a monster 108k service last year and have replaced a few other bits like steering damper etc. so it is getting there. By next summer I should have it where I want it to be.

Haha...don't think I would be able to either!

I only got it a bit cheaper as it needed come love, care and more importantly money spent on it. After this years new rear off-side quarter panel/wing replacement and door cards my spend so far to date will be around £4k I think but I will have a tot up.

I wouldn't sell it anyway as have invested the £4k effectively in the car long term. Ollie @ PCS has replaced both sets of cam oilers for me so far. I had a monster 108k service last year and have replaced a few other bits like steering damper etc. so it is getting there. By next summer I should have it where I want it to be.

Ah, so it was yours having the cam oilers done last time I was down there then :D I was surprised to see the corrosion on the rear wing given that my 500 is comparatively rust free (albeit with fairly shocking paintwork)

I try not to look at the bills - I know that it's had more put into it than would normally be worthwhile, and I know that it would have been exponentially more expensive if it hadn't been Olly doing the work.

It was indeed my SL60! Had one pop off last year so Ollie did one bank then one popped off on the second bank 6 months later. They must be originals so have lasted 14 years. Hopefully they last another 14 years before needing replacement again!

Yup, good lad Ollie. A fair journey for me each time but worth it as I can trust him which goes a long way. I have to have that trust there.

I have a theory why the rear wing wasn't replaced in the first place. Seemed like cosmetic or small panel damage but guessing it warranted a replacement panel. However is it was likely to have been end of life even though it would have been nearly £1k for the panel anyway. Maybe that is why they repaired the panel rather than replacing as they could have waited months or longer for a new panel to come through. Also needs to be cut off and welded so a fairly involved job.

If they had repaired the panel well and done a good job it would have been fine but it was a poor job. I toyed with the idea of doing a much better repair but got lucky finding a panel and was even luckier on the price of it....I would have to k*ll you if I told you how much but it was nowhere near £1k!

The car drives really well and I love it...so glad I sold the SL500 I had originally bought before I saw the SL60. Best thing I ever did.

Yes, there's a couple of fairly poor repairs on mine, although not for corrosion issues. All going to be sorted with the respray this winter, hopefully.

I've had a run of luck with AMG parts recently (exhaust, ducktail, front bumper), so I'm sure you got a bargain. Just hoping mine will continue as I really need to find side skirts and rear bumper to finish it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom