SL60 vs 996 C2 tip cab vs XKR cab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
996 C2 tip cab '00 regn 38K miles - totally underwhelmed when I test drove this car. Very pretty and a more comfortable ride than I'd expected, but SLOW. Can't believe how used I am to the power of the SL but the 6.0 AMG totally blows the porsche away, particularly at high overtaking speeds....
No doubt the tip 'box blunts the 996 but I want an auto.......
This car was up at £32K from an indy dealer. A good £5K more than an equivalent SL60. Shows how under-valued the SLs are.

XKR cab ('05 car test-driven) - WOW WOW WOW. What an awesome machine. In many ways the "spiritual successor" to the SL60. Phenomenally quick, and so smooth and quiet on the motorway that 100mph + is very easy without realising. Absolutely gorgeous interior (much plusher than the SL). I am sorely tempted but still, an '01 reg XKR cab is £30K+ and I wouldn't like to buy one older than that due to well-known engine probs and general Jag reliability issues. Also, Jag is v likely to continue to depreciate very heavily ad infinitum. Still, very sorely tempted. May drive an XK8 to see whether that would be quick enough for me. Absolutely loved this car.

SL60 - ticks every box and can be bought for mid/high £20s for a very straight car............

What about a....?

Porsche did a 996 Turbo (which you undoubtedly know already), but they also introduced an automatic version of both the coupe and the cabriolet. With 408BHP and some serious torque, I'm pretty sure you'd find the performance most agreeable. :D

A mate of mine in Solihull had a 2002 996 Turbo (manual) and it was the only car I've driven to date which felt close in performance terms to a decent sportsbike. A 996 Turbo auto cabriolet might be a fairly rare find in the used ads, but I'm sure they'll be around.

996 Turbo cabs are a lot of money. £100k or thereabouts new and aren't losing their value very quickly.

scotth_uk said:
996 Turbo cabs are a lot of money. £100k or thereabouts new and aren't losing their value very quickly.
I bet none of them are autos either.

suprised you thought it was slow....its still 5.2ish secs to 60 and a 180 top end....i drove a c2 coupe that my father used to own and it was phenomenal around a back rd.....

may i suggest you take it for another test drive and find somewhere to 'chuck' it about - it will blow your mind.

Isn't the XKR about to be replaced? This will seriuosly hit the residuals. As much as I am a mercedes fan, i'd go with the Porsche. The other thing is that I dont like buying the same car twice as i'd be forever comparing the two.

Saw a 911 turbo cabriolet with tiptronic box yesterday complete with numberplate SUE 911 ! Looked a beauty she had parked it so the front spoiler9looks rubbery plastic) had scraped on the edge of parking space where it met path, considering this is a private hospital with ample parking can't believe she took so little care!

996 turbo cabs do not sell at c.£30K.
I was surprised at the disappointing feel of the C2 tip that I drove, and I did some motorway time in it as well as normal roads. Most disappointing was the lack of torque at 70/80 mph compared to the SL60 - suppose that is the difference between a 6.0l and a 3.6l.........No doubt though that the manual would feel quicker than the tip, which had an annoying tendency to change up to 5th gear asap in all situations.

Its is true that the XK is due to be replaced, and that will hit prices. That does put me off because one of the reasons I love the SL60 is its relative lack of depreciation. But I must say I was very taken by the XKR that I drove yesterday.

The XKR is lovely - though the roof isn't a patch (no pun intended) on the Mercedes one - hence I was looking at the coupe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom