SL63 door sill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaramanga

I’m just about to pick up my first AMG, a 2009 SL63. Very excited but noticed that there is a small dent on one of the door sills.

Does anyone know where I can source a reasonably priced one ? Or am I best just calling my local MB dealer ?

I’m just about to pick up my first AMG, a 2009 SL63. Very excited but noticed that there is a small dent on one of the door sills.

Does anyone know where I can source a reasonably priced one ? Or am I best just calling my local MB dealer ?

Congrats on the car. You can fix the dent but this would require taking the sill apart and using some planishing hammer and a flat work surface.

Or you can upgrade to illuminated door sills. Expensive main dealer option but will no doubt light up your day:

mbamgw221dsll400.jpg

Thanks. I already have illuminated sills but the car has a double sill ?

Hoping the attached picture helps.

Attachments

• B62E3F2B-C593-4C31-B871-C269682A158A.jpeg
    B62E3F2B-C593-4C31-B871-C269682A158A.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 39
I'd just take it off and gently tap on the back to remove the dent. The worst thing you can do is make the dent go the other way. In which case a new piece would be more cost effective than trying to fix it.

Thanks. Worth a shot.

Just need to figure out how to remove the sill. Is the 2009 facelift still referred to as the R230, or did it have a different code ?

Yes, your SL is an R230. The facelift model was produced between 2008 -2012. Sometime in 2012, the R231 SL was introduced.

I have the same, 2009 SL63, and the sills are delicate. Mine have a load of scratches on where the previous owner must have dragged their feet over it. Be interested in how easy it is to remove and refit as I have been thinking of replacing them.

How do you find yours ? Am collecting mine tonight - v excited !

Will update once I’ve figured out how to remove. And may get some pricing from Benz just in case they aren’t too expensive.

Incidentally, I’ve realised the double sill is actually quite wide!

How do you find yours ? Am collecting mine tonight - v excited !

Will update once I’ve figured out how to remove. And may get some pricing from Benz just in case they aren’t too expensive.

Incidentally, I’ve realised the double sill is actually quite wide!

Have loved mine. It’s an occasion just starting it up. Goes like stink. Handles well and rides well without knocking your teeth out. 4yrs now and can’t think of anything suitable to replace it with. Enjoy yours!

Collected last night! What a superb machine. Will post a separate thread about the experience.

Sounds like a cracking car, looking forward to your thoughts. :) And pictures of course :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom