SL63 dyno & remap - MSL

• Thread starter Deleted upon users own request member 138506
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine too is totally derestricted. 183mph in 4th on the dyno. "Phil, why didn't you shift to 5th?" "Because your tyres are only rated to 186mph."
He took it to 200 on the dyno, im not sure if he shifted to 5th.
The tyres are rated ZR19 (96Y) on the front and ZR20 (99Y) on the rear - I believe these are good for above 186mph - please correct me if I am wrong, just incase I need to shift to 5th! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
560 bhp at the wheels, 661bhp at the crank.
651ftlb torque at the wheels, 768 ftlb at the crank.
Nice figures:thumb:

Very similar figures to my MSL map which is dialled back for engine longevity.
Thanks, The stock figure is 585bhp - is this the same for the E63S?

He took it to 200 on the dyno, im not sure if he shifted to 5th.
The tyres are rated ZR19 (96Y) on the front and ZR20 (99Y) on the rear - I believe these are good for above 186mph - please correct me if I am wrong, just incase I need to shift to 5th! ;)
As far as I understand it 99Y is up to 186mph and 99(Y) is over 186mph. If Acid took it to 200mph hemust have been happy that the tyres would take it. Don't want to have an explosion in the dyno room.

The two numbers are the load rating, the speed rating is the letter

Mine too is totally derestricted. 183mph in 4th on the dyno. "Phil, why didn't you shift to 5th?" "Because your tyres are only rated to 186mph."

Your 4th gear is 1:1 with the engine. Nothing to do with the tyre rating.

The two numbers are the load rating, the speed rating is the letter

If go on the track or autobahnn, I'm still unsure what tyres are good above 186mph. Probably best for me to find out from tyre manufacturer to be safe.

Athough here they take into account both the size and speed designations.

Tire Speed Rating Chart

Tires having a maximum speed capability above 300 km/h (186 mph) must have "Z" in the size designation and the service description must include Y in parenthesis (i.e. P275/40ZR17 (93Y)).

Your tyres will be fine even at much higher speed than they are rated to. They won’t magically “explode” or disintegrate.

I’d be more worried about the windscreen at those speeds... ;) :cool:
You have a good point there, it provides about 34% of the structural integrity of your car.

Only the
You have a good point there, it provides about 34% of the structural integrity of your car.
Only the special AMG ones, I think regular genuine MB ones are only rated to 33% :)

Only the

Only the special AMG ones, I think regular genuine MB ones are only rated to 33% :)
Not sure where you are getting your info, I was just generalising. I'm sure there are tolerences either way. Either way if you are concerned about speed as you appear to be, it is only as safe as the weakest link in the system.

Thanks, The stock figure is 585bhp - is this the same for the E63S?

Yes, a W212 E63s is 585bhp stock.
Mine is a non s and should be 558bhp stock.
Before the remap it was reading 572bhp.
Most AMG's are putting out more than Mercedes quoted figures from stock.

Your 4th gear is 1:1 with the engine. Nothing to do with the tyre rating.
Nothing to do with gear ratios. Wheels were running 183mph road speed in 4th.
But if Phil had gone to 5th he would have compromised the speed rating. He was talking 200mph. I said "There must be headroom above 186mph."
"Yes" said he "but I'm not going there."

If go on the track or autobahnn, I'm still unsure what tyres are good above 186mph. Probably best for me to find out from tyre manufacturer to be safe.

... and this is the reply

Hello Mr ***********,

If the 96Y OR 99Y is not in brackets then the maximum speed is 187mph, if they are in brackets then the speed is over 187mph, I hope this helps guide you.

Best Regards

Tony *********

Technical Support Engineer
Continental Tyre Group Ltd

Just curious, but what will a bog standard W205 C63 (or other AMGs) do flat chat on an Autobahn ?
(assuming the speed limiter has been removed, but no other mods)

Just curious, but what will a bog standard W205 C63 (or other AMGs) do flat chat on an Autobahn ?
(assuming the speed limiter has been removed, but no other mods)
I'd love to know too. I'd booked a days AMG experience at the Nürburgring Grand Prix track in June to find out its "flat chat" there, but it was cancelled due to Covid. Not really sure i'd have the guts to find out. Maybe next year.

I'd love to know too. I'd booked a days AMG experience at the Nürburgring Grand Prix track in June to find out its "flat chat" there, but it was cancelled due to Covid. Not really sure i'd have the guts to find out. Maybe next year.
You won't get to Vmax on track. You need a few kilometres on the Autobahn.
Out of interest, my re-mapped and derestricted CLS55 was running to 170mph (GPS speed) last year. It was still accelerating when I spotted traffic ahead.

Why does Acid take the ECU apart?
My custom dyno remap and derestrict was done via the OBD port.
I understand that the 63 ECU cannot be read via OBDII so the stock map could not be read for a custom modified map. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that the 63 ECU cannot be read via OBDII. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you have the M157 5.5 biturbo, the map is done through the OBD port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom