SL63 R230 Vs SL63 R231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beemarman

Car
BMW m5
Guys,

Currently on the look out for a new car. My current car is an F10 M5, but I'm looking for a 2 seat convertible to enjoy for next year summer. I've been keeping an eye on the R230 and R231 SL63 prices, and it seems the newer model is dropping while the older one is holding it price quite well.

From what I've seen recently, it seems to be about £10-15k between the two models, that's is quite close considering the older ones are nearly 8 yrs old now. To be honest the older model still look good, while the newer one's ain't that much of a looker.

Mercedes-Benz SL Class 5.5 SL63 AMG Convertible 2dr Petrol Automatic (start/stop) (231 g/km, 530 bhp)

Mercedes-Benz SL 6.2 SL63 AMG 2d AUTO 525 BHP

I have no experience of either but to my eye the pre 2008 facelift R230 is the better looking car........on the other hand if the 231 is not a better car than the 230 MB have a serious problem.

Mic

Like Mic I had a R230 for 13 years but recently changed it for R231 400SL. While the looks are a matter of personal taste ( and I tend to agree that the R230 is better looking) the quality of the R231 is palpably better.

More solid, better chrome, more up to date Comand, better fuel consumption, and a lot faster in my case. Its a little bigger all over and hasn't some of the little features that the R230 had ( Luggage straps, convenience entry that puts the seat back for you, although that can be fixed by using a seat button to move it to a better position....didn't realise SL stood for Stena Lift!)

I hope, probably in vain, that some of the R230 faults have been fixed as well. Its a better car but at a price

I would go for the newer model.
I was in similar position when recently buying an SLK55.
I really liked the older shape and was looking for a nice low mileage tidy one.R171
When the price got nearer to the latest version R172 I decided the improvements in the engine, fuel economy ,interior etc of the newer version meant it made sense to spend a little extra for the more modern version.
I am so glad I did as now the newer shape has grown on me and the older version for me is a little dated .(I guess im bound to say that though..!)
Im sure you will enjoy whichever you choose.

Whilst the M156 was possibly the best NA engine of all time, I personally think the bi-turbo 5.5 suits the car better. The SL is a heavy beast (the neck end of 2 tonnes, which is chunky for a 2-seater in anyone's book) and the extra spread of torque makes a world of difference. The latest SL63 makes 585bhp/664torx and the car simply flies. Moreover that M157 maps up ridiculously well, so you can make it even better, come the time.

The SL is a heavy beast (the neck end of 2 tonnes, which is chunky for a 2-seater in anyone's book)

actually the SL400 is 1735kg (including driver and 7kg of luggage)

actually the SL400 is 1735kg (including driver and 7kg of luggage)

Apologies, was referring to the SL63 which is the only one I've driven regularly. 'Poverty spec', ie: before adding weight-increasing options has a kerb weight of 1845kg, which is heavier than the E63.....

Apologies, was referring to the SL63 which is the only one I've driven regularly. 'Poverty spec', ie: before adding weight-increasing options has a kerb weight of 1845kg, which is heavier than the E63.....

Which is ridiculous really.:fail

Thanks guys. Advice noted. Now watch this space.

Last edited:
The description in the second link says two-seater. I haven't kept up with the revisions on these cars, but I presume it has two bucket seats at the back (2+2). I can't believe the person who spec'd that car also has DVD screens for the back seats..crazy! More money than sense.

SL is a pure two seater, nothing behind the front seats except a cubby box and the roof pump.

The description in the second link says two-seater. I haven't kept up with the revisions on these cars, but I presume it has two bucket seats at the back (2+2). I can't believe the person who spec'd that car also has DVD screens for the back seats..crazy! More money than sense.

:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom