SL63 v GTC v Aston DB9 etc.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
I'm toying with the idea of getting myself a new toy.
I've had my SL for long enough and still love it, but really want a proper big engined convertible.

I've wanted a Bentley GTC for as long as I can remember, but i'm also open to sensible ideas and opinions.

I'd be looking around £40-£50kish

Ferrari,Aston,Mercedes etc are others i'd consider.

I know a few people on here have had real world experience of these kind of cars, so I'm after that kind of input.

Not so bothered about them being 'drivers' cars, just something special for nice summer days.

pros and cons please.

Ta:D

I wouldn't want one of them, I prefer the look of the R230, I prefer mine to both of those. The only reason I would consider the SL63 is for the engine.

You will really be disappointed with the DB9, and Ferarri will be too old for the money with extortionate service costs, Not being biased, but SL63 is a great car, picking my newest one up today
sam

Last edited:
I hankered over a Bentley for a while, albeit the Flying Spur, though decided it wasn't for me in the end, just too big, flash and bulky. As Sam says above, a Ferrari at that price point will be a potential money pit and, whilst loving Aston Martins, again you're compromised by budget..

All the above were £100,000+ cars when new, and come with servicing and repair costs to match

I'd also go for a Mercedes SL, though a V12 would be tempting, as long as you get a good one. Ginger E55 on here has recently bought an SL600 and it really is a monster of a car.

Finally, and just as a bit of a left field option, I present THIS. :)

Bentleys of that age are a money pit. We have piled 000's into ours in the last 12 months. Avoid like the plague.

Had an SL55, went mad & changed to an aston V8 V roadster - worst car I've had in years, although very pretty - got rid of that after a year for an SL63 - had that coming up three years this month - uses lots of petrol, servicing isn't cheap but zero problems in 3 years which makes me happy

Probably a little over the £40-£50k budget

It won't be long before the new S Coupe is down at that level though.

Not long at all in real terms but I'm really not a fan of the new S.

I want an open top.
The maserati sounds beautiful but heard horror stories about reliability.

What have been the problems with the Bentley? It really is my No1 choice.....by a long way!

The SL63 seems to be a sensible choice, but I'd want a black one(no matter which car) and it looks a bit samey as my current car.

It would only be a pleasure car, the servicing and fuel costs would be similar with most of them.

Last edited:
I would go Maser if the main criteria are about feeling special. SL otherwise.

In the last 12 months the Bentley has cost the best part of 15 grand in unscheduled maintenance. Several known issues have cropped up regarding the suspension and most recently, the Nav unit. People wrongly assume that because of the VW Phaeton lineage that parts are interchangeable. They are not. Bentley make slight changes to an otherwise identical part to ensure you only buy their parts. An example being the anti roll bar bushes. They are bonded on the Bentley but not on the VW. I can see the appeal of a GTC and it is great at what it does but you really must be able to cover some big bills. It is one of those cars which traps you into keeping it because you have just replaced this and that at huge expense which I am sure we can all relate to.

Unless you are going to spend 50k on a new M4 conv all of your choices carry the potential for big bills as they were all double that to begin with.

Tried the F Type too and it is truly one of the worst cars I have ever driven - and I own a Trabant!

Total leftfield - What about the 5.0L V8 Ford Mustang Convertible ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom