SL63 (w231) Daily Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Needsnewtyres

Car
2014 SL63
Hi all

I'm looking to change my daily driver, currently drive a 911 c2s cab;
8 - 10k miles per year / all weather
Week day motorway miles, weekend, enthusiastic driving...

I'm looking at 2014 / 2015 cars with 20k - 30k miles

Anything I really need to look our for in terms of known issues / faults
Any must have / avoid options
I've lightly modified all previous cars (M5/M3/R8/911's) and like the idea / results of mapping a w231 (non performance) - Spoke to the guys @ DMS & they sound positive on the results from the w231, my concern will be tractions & usability with more torque
I've been reading about aftermarket steering wheel upgrades, also looking for ideas, vendors & experience

I'm looking for real world advice & feedback from SL 63 drivers & anyone that's moved across from Porsche to Mercedes or back the other way

Many thanks in advance

Give PCS in Horndean or MSL in Brumland a ring. Both are forum sponsors with incredible knowledge and used/highly recommended by many members here.
FYI, I have been using both for over 10 years now for all my servicing and modding etc and wouldn't go any where else.

KR Matt :thumb:

Matt

thanks for the feedback, I’ll give the guys @ PCS a shout, I owned a w202 c43 in 1998 & used Bursaldon motors (Colin) was always very helpful & knowledgeable, loved that car

Regards

Tyrone

Not sure how much torque you need, but I have had far fewer traction issues since putting new P4S’s on, but I thin that is also getting used to the car more, and the torque in particular (having come from an M6 GC, the power is not massively different, but the torque is).

In terms of minor mods, I have quite liked the smarttop module, but haven’t seen steering wheels mods -the only think I would change on the wheel is to make it heated for cold days (having got used to it in the BMW and wife’s Range Rover, it would make sense in a convertible). I toyed with the resonator delete change to exhaust, but decided it was loud enough, especially in sport plus mode.

In terms of options, the 2015 models got the performance pack as standard, so more power and torque and (most importantly, the limited slip diff). First time I sat in a 231, i almost broke the key with my knee when I got out, so keyless go would be a bonus for me. I like the driving assistance package and wished that it had the active seats rather than just the multi=contour ones (but that is a small issue). Haven’t really had it long enough to know whether the cooled seats are of benefit!

Overall I love the car....just get one

I moved from a 997 cab S4 it was a lovely car felt very sure footed and as you know holds the road very well.
Sl63 is a total different beast it feel a more exclusive car lots of toys and feels over engineered. Love the metal roof. The SL has loads more power but it's much harder to put down the power and use you also need to be much more careful driving it than the 997.

Power SL
Road holding 997
Comfort SL
997 Running costs cheaper by a mile than the sl.
But the SL puts a smile on your face and you excuse the high running costs because it's such a beast 😉👍

I moved from a 997 cab S4 it was a lovely car felt very sure footed and as you know holds the road very well.
Sl63 is a total different beast it feel a more exclusive car lots of toys and feels over engineered. Love the metal roof. The SL has loads more power but it's much harder to put down the power and use you also need to be much more careful driving it than the 997.

Power SL
Road holding 997
Comfort SL
997 Running costs cheaper by a mile than the sl.
But the SL puts a smile on your face and you excuse the high running costs because it's such a beast 😉👍
Rosso 1

Thanks for the feedback, the SL is due for delivery on Tuesday (I'll post some pics) so I'll start to get to grips with the changes in driving style... It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the 997 coming from a v8 M3, needed to adapt to slow in & on the gas early, looking forward to the change in sound track. Have you experienced any, "Big Ticket" surprise costs with your SL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom