SL65 AMG - Madness?? Or not ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bieldside

Car
Merc SL65 , Porsche 991.2 Targa 4s , Porsche 9934s, S65 Cabriolet
I had a test drive of a 2014 SL65 AMG this morning
Luxury and 620bhp all in one package
But I'm thinking
- it's the old model soon to be replaced
- is it worth £20k more than an SL63 AMG
- it's £100,000

But then I think
- it's a rare rare car
- it's luxury par not much else
- it's awesome

HELP !!! Anyone have any experience of owing one ??

I havnt owned one but in my experience the extra outlay is offset by the fact they are still worth a lot more second hand than a 63.

Assuming it's 2 years old, it will have already depreciated around £80,000 in 24 months. Or around £3,300 a month.

I always thought this car was for someone that had no concept of the value of money and absolutely had to have the top of the range.

Questions to ask yourself.

Is it worth that much more than the SL63?

Is it worth that much more than a new SL500 which is over 450hp and still insanely fast.

Do you want it enough for none of these things to matter?

For £100K is it more desirable to you than any of the following:-

Porsche 911 MK 991 3.8 Carrera GTS PDK 2dr

Aston Martin Vantage S V8 ROADSTER Manual 4.7 2dr

Aston Martin DB9 5.9 Touchtronic II 2dr

Audi R8 V10 SPYDER 5.2 FSI quattro S Tronic (525PS) 2dr

Mercedes-Benz MERCEDES-AMG SL63 5.5 2dr

Maserati Grancabrio 4.7 Sport 2dr

Bentley Continental 6.0 GTC 2dr

Last edited:
Unless you excrete money for a living, I'd swerve it.

Well I won the Euro lottery last night,so that car is in reach all I need is about 10,000 more wins of £11 and I am there.

Aren't you the chap from Pistonheads forum who has just bought a Boxster Spyder?

Like others have already said, there are more desirable cars for that money. Most will depreciate, but there are better cars that I would rather lose money on. If I were to stick with the Mercedes route, AMG GT would be my choice.

I had a test drive of a 2014 SL65 AMG this morning
Luxury and 620bhp all in one package
But I'm thinking
- it's the old model soon to be replaced
- is it worth £20k more than an SL63 AMG
- it's £100,000

But then I think
- it's a rare rare car
- it's luxury par not much else
- it's awesome

HELP !!! Anyone have any experience of owing one ??

Jeez, id love to have this problem lol

Jeez, id love to have this problem lol

So would I:D

The OP obviously knows any '65 engined Merc is going to be a beast, and will have massive depreciation. The car mentioned has already lost a huge amount in 2 yrs and it will continue to depreciate. If he is OK with that, then I'd say do it. You are only here once.
On a smaller scale, I wanted a V8 at some point in my life and although I waited until I was close to retirement, I haven't regretted that decision for one second. If you have the means to do something you want to do, I'd always go for it. Life is too short for regrets.

So would I:D

The OP obviously knows any '65 engined Merc is going to be a beast, and will have massive depreciation. The car mentioned has already lost a huge amount in 2 yrs and it will continue to depreciate. If he is OK with that, then I'd say do it. You are only here once.
On a smaller scale, I wanted a V8 at some point in my life and although I waited until I was close to retirement, I haven't regretted that decision for one second. If you have the means to do something you want to do, I'd always go for it. Life is too short for regrets.

Absolutely agree with this. It's all relative. Our disposable income level determines how much pain on depreciation we are willing to take compared to the emotional satisfaction of owning what we do.

Like others have already said, there are more desirable cars for that money. Most will depreciate, but there are better cars that I would rather lose money on. If I were to stick with the Mercedes route, AMG GT would be my choice.

Good shout on the GT!

Must you have a convertible OP?

Yes I'm the one who got his Boxster Spyder two weeks ago
No hiding place !!
But you know it's a great car but sadly it has two major drawbacks
Manual
Roof that is not a press button job
Sounds totally totally pathetic I have to admit but I realise as I get older that I prefer convenience
Sad but true
The SL65 has something about it
Not sure what but it has something
And I'm lucky to have 991 GT3 to have that manic experience of driving a pure sports car
The SL65 has the power and the luxury
Different ends of the spectrum

Sl65

Thanks Red C220
I have done that game of what else ?
And you know not much else ticks my "wow" that appeals
Only a CL63Amg or the new S63 Coupe but they are BIG cars
Not really me
The SL is a favourite as I have a 2006 SL 500 that is great fun
Hence my slight move over from Porsche
And I'm about to get the state pension in three weeks
So I think ..... f...k it. Why not !!

Yes I'm the one who got his Boxster Spyder two weeks ago
No hiding place !!
But you know it's a great car but sadly it has two major drawbacks
Manual
Roof that is not a press button job
Sounds totally totally pathetic I have to admit but I realise as I get older that I prefer convenience
Sad but true
The SL65 has something about it
Not sure what but it has something
And I'm lucky to have 991 GT3 to have that manic experience of driving a pure sports car
The SL65 has the power and the luxury
Different ends of the spectrum

We are meeting up at MB World at Brooklands on the 3rd would you be so kind as to bring the Spyder along as I'd love to have a close look at it

We are meeting up at MB World at Brooklands on the 3rd would you be so kind as to bring the Spyder along as I'd love to have a close look at it

What time is the meet ?
Spyder is GT metallic with the classic red and black interior
Have to say it's one car that had received a huge number of comments
Almost the same as when I had one of the first Audi TTs

What time is the meet ?
Spyder is GT metallic with the classic red and black interior
Have to say it's one car that had received a huge number of comments
Almost the same as when I had one of the first Audi TTs

It's posted in the events section on here about 11am Sunday morning on the 3rd

Thanks Red C220
I have done that game of what else ?
And you know not much else ticks my "wow" that appeals
Only a CL63Amg or the new S63 Coupe but they are BIG cars
Not really me
The SL is a favourite as I have a 2006 SL 500 that is great fun
Hence my slight move over from Porsche
And I'm about to get the state pension in three weeks
So I think ..... f...k it. Why not !!

Drive an R231 SL500 with the 4.7tt V8 - it's as fast as the R230 SL63. Its the reason we discounted it when we bought ours, it's absurdly fast for a GT convertible and it's quite subtle being a non AMG car.

The interior is pretty much to the same specification in all these SL's which ultimately is why we went with the SL400. I was going to order the SL500 but the 400 was easily fast enough (actually slightly faster than the SL500 you currently own).

The only reason to go for the 65 is if you want it, there's no performance reason in reality to have one over either the 500 or 63. Interior wise they are all just as comfortable, they all feel like you're driving something a bit special.

We went to look at a Porsche Cayenne at Tonbridge OPC this weekend and I spent more time outside answering questions about our SL to other people that were there than I did looking a Porsches.

Sl65

Thanks Red C220
There is no sane reason for an SL65
Too powerful
Too expensive
But it has a certain cache that makes me think I'd keep it for many years
Is it worth £80k more than my SL500 that was £93000 new in 2006
No ....
There is a scratch to itch

Is it the Silver/Black one at Brooklands or the Blue one in Swindon you're looking at?

Strangley the silver one doesn't have an electric wind deflector, why on earth would that be an option on a £180K car?

The Swindon car is a much better colour combination IMO.

How about a gorgeous blue or red AMG GT. That's gotta be a better buy than a SL65.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom