SL65 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame really, but it could be an original factory chromoflair paint job. Done on SL55's and CL65's as well. Too messed about with for me and I've been looking for one for 3 or 4 years. MOT history is virtually perfect, so it's been well looked after. Interior is nice I thought.

The list of 'Extra features' is, er, interesting.

I see it has an electric sunroof. Those are really rare on the R230...

Turns out electric windows, air conditioning and power steering weren't standard either. Who knew? :rolleyes:

Looks a nice car if you can see past the garish wheels and paintwork.
But a far newer R231 SL63 can do everything that V12 can do at less expense.

Saying that, I've not owned a V12, so not really understanding the pull of the 65.
I wouldn't be paying £44k on an 18 yr old SL though.

The list of 'Extra features' is, er, interesting.

I see it has an electric sunroof. Those are really rare on the R230...

Turns out electric windows, air conditioning and power steering weren't standard either. Who knew? :rolleyes:
Usual useless blurb from a dealer who has no idea what he is talking about. Looks as though the advert was written by a teenager.

Usual useless blurb from a dealer who has no idea what he is talking about. Looks as though the advert was written by a teenager.
Which reinforces the point that the dealer doesn't know what he's selling. The difference between a good one and a mediocre one, what the weak points of the car are: condition, rot, reliability, nor whether the thing is performing properly - it might be SL500 fast, but not firing on three cylinders.

In this Instagram world.. where everyone has to share a picture of their dinner... the shock value of a high value blingmobile like this apparently gets more views =instant fake popularity..

I personally don't use FB or Instagram, or twit -ter... nor do I feel the need to be artificially popular.. the person who commissioned this car.. misunderstood how special and individual this car already was..or had more money than sense.
The paint job and wheels , and seats, are akin to a gold wrapped bugatti or Lambo.. unnecessary ..

The SL65 AMG.. would be a car I would like to own... but not looking like this "posing pouch".

I know taste is very personal...

But 'tastless'... is a symptom of the " look at me " culture growing on some of those digital platforms.

007 Bond cool...
or Austin Powers...?

Last edited:
......or class. Funny to observe the 'noveau riche' and see how they have to display their wealth.

You’ll never see that with "old money".
I sort of agree. You’re unlikely to see “old money” show their wealth like “new money”, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t show it.

New money and old money typically show their wealth differently, but the clues are there for old money too. Importantly, all “new money” are not the same, and the same can be said for “old money” too.

“Nouveau riche” is only really used as an insult these days, because the vast majority of wealthy people have created their wealth themselves - or their parents did - and relatively few lack taste IMHO.

Perhaps exacerbated by social media and the increasing relative wealth of many, there is a culture of people wishing to appear wealthier than they really are, ie showing off.

Showing off has always been a thing and affects wealthy, poor and everyone in between similarly.

Old money has no need to show off. New money often seems to, and as you say, some people with neither do so as well in an attempt to impress.

Old money has no need to show off. New money often seems to, and as you say, some people with neither do so as well in an attempt to impress.
"Old money" are used to their wealth, it is just their “normal” & they don’t need to display it.

Then we have the “some money” mob who want to pretend they are rich. Living beyond their means, knock off designer gear, watches, jewellery etc. Sad thing for them is that people who know the genuine article can usually spot the fakes.

I sort of agree. You’re unlikely to see “old money” show their wealth like “new money”, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t show it.

New money and old money typically show their wealth differently, but the clues are there for old money too. Importantly, all “new money” are not the same, and the same can be said for “old money” too.

“Nouveau riche” is only really used as an insult these days, because the vast majority of wealthy people have created their wealth themselves - or their parents did - and relatively few lack taste IMHO.

Perhaps exacerbated by social media and the increasing relative wealth of many, there is a culture of people wishing to appear wealthier than they really are, ie showing off.

Showing off has always been a thing and affects wealthy, poor and everyone in between similarly.
"Nouveau riche” has always been somewhat derogatory.

The Dutch have a saying that I love which when translated says:

"Even if you put a gold ring on a monkeys finger, it is still a monkey".

I'm from old money.

As in I used to have it some time ago but then I bought a place in France ,, and a CL600.

Still saving for the new money.

My mum told me about the nouveau rich when we used to go to Antibes for our holidays in the early 80’s.

I wonder if they are now classed as ‘old money’?

Back on to the SL, I don't think that colour was the normal chromaflair paint option available by Merc. Someone on here bought one a year or two ago and started a thread with some pics of a bit of work. They bought it for the paint and it needed a bit of work. The colour is a lot more subtle: metallic purple, maybe with a hint of brown.

I'm not offended by subtle chromaflair paints, and I'd have one in the Merc factory option And occasionally look for them. I don't mind that MG in blur posted if that's the extent of the flip, and my other two colours of interest are spectraflair silver and the pearl white (that has very subtle pink-purple and blue-green on sunny days). Needs to be on the right car though, like a Tuscan I.e. a factory option. Very new money to get it put on your Audi R8.

A house up the road from me has a Yellow Lamborghini Anus and a ........... battered W124 Estate, go figure 🤷‍♂️ :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom