SL73 at Charles Ironside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is pricey!!
I'd rather have an SL60, an SL65 and £40k change.

But as you say, it won't be around long, export to the far east id imagine.

Just looked at it again, no body kit or exclusive leather upgrade and I'm quite sure the wrong wheels for the era too.

It has previously been described as an SL730.
It must have become really collectable as it seems to have doubled in price since the same dealer had it in 2011 :rolleyes:

i agree, it looks rather plain. No exclusive leather. Bogo standard interior and exterior.

Its alot of money for what is essentially just a big engine in a r129. Many better Mercs/AMG/Brabus cars available for far less and offer more thrills but I'm sure somebody will buy it. It might be a little bogo standard but it still looks in very good condition and the wheels could easily be swapped over for period examples. Lets face it if you got the money to buy it in the first place then a few uprgrades/changes would easily be possible to correct everything. HTH

Just looked at it again, no body kit or exclusive leather upgrade and I'm quite sure the wrong wheels for the era too.
my first sl320 came with these wheels from new and that was on a 98 plate:confused:

I'm quite sure the wrong wheels for the era too.

For a 1999/V reg, your quite right the wheels are from the wrong era, but note too that the rear lights, door mirrirs and even the steering wheel is wrong (old spec) for a R129 as late as a 1999....

Dee-124CAB said:
For a 1999/V reg, your quite right the wheels are from the wrong era, but note too that the rear lights, door mirrirs and even the steering wheel is wrong (old spec) for a R129 as late as a 1999....

That's the same as all the SL60's, they were all sold as preface lifts (mirrors, lights and steering wheels). However post 96 Amg splits were all 18" 2pc not 3pc 17's.

Lets face it if you got the money to buy it in the first place then a few uprgrades/changes would easily be possible to correct everything. HTH

To me the car is perfect,the facelift 129 look nice enough so I would not change a thing
As for the price,let`s not forget the extra power compared to the other SL73 ;)

*laughing*

Good luck with that.

They were a very very quick car in their time but time has moved on. A decent 2001 SL500 R129 or even an SL600 could be had for a fraction of that, leaving around £55,000 to buy a selection of other used Mercedes.

Of course, they are not the same but unless you have ready access to an autobahn then the real world difference is not that apparent.

That being said, someone will be drawn to the "Brunei" element and pay it.

This may be on SOR?

It's a mega-rare car being RHD and having the extra power over a 'standard' (!) SL73 - basically the ultimate R129. As always, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it!

Very true, with sizeable increase in horsepower and (as with anything) worth what someone will pay for it.

However:
- it is a LOT of money
- in terms of what you are getting, what is it when detached from a desire for an R129 (and I like them, having had two!): a decade old and itself a design that is pushing on for 20 years; a power output with zero application whatsoever to the UK; it is not hugely practical (roof on, roof off, still using a soft top)
- as a drivers car, they are a very rapid cruiser - not a sports car and I cannot see it keeping up with an SL55 for example.

It is the price/benefit relationship that is being skewed by the the (laughable) asking price, which I firmly believe is an SOR with "if someone pays that, then it is theirs, otherwise I will keep it" price.

£50,000 - maybe

£80,000 - forget it

but that's just me.

I'd take an SL65 with retractable hardtop that would be faster, more practical, easier to drive, newer and the SL73 would not see which way it went. And then park a 2001 SL500 next to it in the garage with change for a couple of tanks of petrol

Last edited:
This car maybe very rare, but the price is simply silly.

While a RHD example may be very rare, that fact limits it's potential market.
£80k is far too much. Someone has obviously looked at the recent SL73s for sale in Europe, both of which were around 100,000 Euro. They were lower mileage genuine SL73s, with the full facelift bodykit and 18" split rim alloy wheels.

This car was for sale with CI a couple of years ago for ~£50k and the year before that at ~£45k. While I don't doubt it's an appreciating asset, £80k is a bit far fetched.
I would assume it's SOR, with an owner who may not really want to sell, but perhaps wants some winter storage (I know this type of thing does go on, sadly!).
However, if someone walks in willing to pay £80k, the owner, CI, and the purchaser all are happy.

I wouldn't pay more than £60k for it, given it's rarity.
It must be a monster on the road!

Darren

The last owner bought it from him and I think he paid in the 30's - at least this is what he hinted at when I met him at the Mercedes SL day in 2011.

Think I'd rather have this for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom