slaming a w202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alramone

i've not long owned a 1996 c230 elagance and it sits way to high and rides way to soft. whats the best(read cheapest and easiest:D ) way to slam it? most spring sets i've seen say 40mm lower and i'm not sure thats gonna be enough for me......

15 bags of cement in the boot ?

change the spring pads, and springs if you can afford it

i've not long owned a 1996 c230 elagance and it sits way to high and rides way to soft. whats the best(read cheapest and easiest:D ) way to slam it? most spring sets i've seen say 40mm lower and i'm not sure thats gonna be enough for me......
From elegance height 40mm isn't much below sport height - probably about the same as mine with 10 year old springs and #1 pads at the front.

There are 60mm springs on ebay from German sellers (for about £100 if my memory serves me right). That will bring the front tyres level with the wheel arches.

I had a C Class Elegance which we dropped 40mm, looked fine, although you are probably going to want/need alot more to slam the car ie coilovers! :S:S (but not cheap!)

what are the pads that i see often refered to? no1 etc? are these like a rubber insulator that stops the metal on metal rubbing? are there different thickness'? :confused: i'll see if i can find these 60mm springs. cheers

what are the pads that i see often refered to? no1 etc? are these like a rubber insulator that stops the metal on metal rubbing? are there different thickness'? :confused: i'll see if i can find these 60mm springs. cheers
Yep rubber pads between top of spring and body - used for tuning the rdie height to cope with different options - e.g a fully optioned elegance will have thicker pads than a base classic.

whats the best way to slam it?

Its a crummy piece of tat made after the golden age of Mercs, when the firm started making their cars down to a price. The 190 was a far superiour car in so many respects. W202s rust, and in the case of the Estate tailgates, they rust alot. They don't feel anything like as solid as the previous generation and there are at least 2 members here who have gone back to W201 from W202s because they are so pants. The firm may only now be starting to recover from the impact on their reputation.

Thats not what you meant. Is it?

I'll get me coat. :p

Bilstein B12 kit is the way to go. I have one and so do a few members.

Its a crummy piece of tat made after the golden age of Mercs, when the firm started making their cars down to a price. The 190 was a far superiour car in so many respects. W202s rust, and in the case of the Estate tailgates, they rust alot. They don't feel anything like as solid as the previous generation and there are at least 2 members here who have gone back to W201 from W202s because they are so pants. The firm may only now be starting to recover from the impact on their reputation.

Thats not what you meant. Is it?

I'll get me coat. :p

I think he actually means 'lowth':devil:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=52084&highlight=lowth

I'll get my anorak....:eek:

if cutting springs always cut the driver side shorter than the passenger side to account for fat passengers.

..... please don't really do this, you should never cut springs!!!

take the springs out completely - that should slam it good and proper.

i'm joking by the way!

Worryingly I've done this to a fair few cars! The last of which is a pink rover 200 cabriolet! It really couldn't look more barry!!
There's no laws about this kind of thing or MOT's over here so you can drive what you like... So we build various 'joke' cars (sh*tters as we call them) when we're bored :rock:

They're great cars, but i can confirm the ride is a touch harsh, especially if you take the bump stops out too! :bannana:

Definately not a good idea for a proper car though!!

Oh, and yeah, it does slam 'em good and proper!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom