Slate roof options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry. I can get rather **** when it comes to the humble roof.

My parents had a wonderful old house with the original roof in clays. A couple of years after they sold it the new owner re-done it using Redland 49's.

I was heartbroken.

Blimey. :eek:

When we moved to Scotland we left a beautiful mid Terraced house. A year before moving I replaced the old windows with traditional box sash hardwood windows with leaded DG units. Stained and varnished. (Looked the bees knees)

I was horrified to drive past the house only a few months after the move to see they'd been ripped out and replaced with White Upvc. :wallbash:

Sorry to OP'er for going off topic.

Ant.

The problem is the roof is the original slate that has no felt or lining which means during heavy downpours it's unlikely to be 100 percent water tight.

If it's unlikely to be 100% water tight, this is your first consideration, as it will affect any inner lining you mat be considering.

However, old doesn't mean leaky - is there any evidence of a leak?

Every survey on a house 50+ years old will say the roof needs future work or at some point it will come to the end of its life, well nothing like stating the obvious, surveyors always cover their ****, it doesn't mean it needs an imminent new roof. There are plenty of Victorian houses with their original slate roof. Get a few roofers out who can see it up close, its the only way to find out if it needs renewing. Have a look at neighbouring houses to see if they have been re-roofed, it's usually a good indication of their condition.

Best advice is to get it re-done. You can pay someone to repair it now but if the nails are failing or the battens are rotting as previously mentioned, the areas that don't get repaired now will continue to need attention in the future. I have completed many projects doing extensions where the client has spent everything on the lovely new kitchen but has overlooked that the main house roof needs redoing. My advice, have the roof done before you do anything inside, you will have piece of mind this winter and it will be a good selling point when they decide to move on.

Adeinfrance said:
Best advice is to get it re-done. You can pay someone to repair it now but if the nails are failing or the battens are rotting as previously mentioned, the areas that don't get repaired now will continue to need attention in the future. I have completed many projects doing extensions where the client has spent everything on the lovely new kitchen but has overlooked that the main house roof needs redoing. My advice, have the roof done before you do anything inside, you will have piece of mind this winter and it will be a good selling point when they decide to move on.

Good advice.

Have a look at neighbouring houses to see if they have been re-roofed, it's usually a good indication of their condition.

That's a good point which I'd not thought about. Just been informed that after a quick look, it appears none of the houses, 4 pairs either side have been re-roofed or rather to still have the same tiles.

I will be getting a few roofers round soon to properly inspect & get a price.

Thanks again for all your advice. Still seeking a recommendation for a decent roofer.

How can anyone on here say it needs a new roof without seeing it :dk: It may, or may not have nail fatigue, if it has then a new roof will be needed at some point, if it's just a few broken or missing slates then it could just be old storm damage or lack of maintenance by the previous owner. I wouldn't fit a new engine to a car just because the spark plugs had failed :)

Last edited:
As others have already said, you may be fixing a problem that doesn't actually exist. Does it leak? The water stains may simply be from condensation.

Not leaking as far as I'm aware, they just wanted somewhere to store things, but without felt, it gets rather dusty, so I thought I'd help them out by sorting that particular "project".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom