SLC 450 - Anyone Know This One? Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CharlesdeGaulle, May 19, 2015.

1. CharlesdeGaulle

CharlesdeGaulle Member

Car:
    124 Cabriolet - 320 CE; 1973 350 SLC
    I recently saw this ad for an 89 SLC and was rather taken with the car. I confess that the colour scheme - and the interior in particular - was what attracted me, but I wondered if I was in danger of committing myself to something regrettable!

SLC COUPE 450 For Sale (1979) on Car And Classic UK [C602786]

[​IMG]

I spoke to the vendor today. He said that there is some emerging rust on the rear valance, on the leading edge of the passenger door, and similar on the driver's side. He also said that the trim, panels and interior are in good condition.

He's driven it for around 1000 miles and is impressed with the engine and gearbox. Quite a lot of work has been done since 2011 (it was previously an SL Shop car), and there has been some recent expenditure for the MOT in March. I gather that the last owner (the 7th) used it only very rarely and the car suffered as a consequence.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone had any views on it? I will be overseas for the next few days and it's quite a way from me anyway, so won't be able to view until at least Bank Holiday Monday. I normally do my research post sale(!) but thought that the wallet-raping potential of this just might justify some sensible thoughts beforehand.

Grateful for pointers, opinions, or sectioning under the Mental Health Act. Thanks.

2. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    Can't help other than to say they can a rust bucket just like the SL and any other Merc's that are of a similar vintage. Besides that, they are really lovely, I'd have one all day over the very similar SL. Good hunting.

Edit: Just looking at the advert again I'd suggest you get it inspected by somebody that knows these cars and if it seems o.k. for the money maybe allow c.£5k as a contingency fund.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    I know they have their fans but the SLC isn't a particularly popular car compared to the SL (if you want a 107) or the SEC (if you want a 2-door coupe). Green isn't really a well-liked colour either, so could be tricky to sell on. But if the car appeals to you and is in decent condition from a structural rust POV (read some of the W107 threads here) then go for it!

4. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    The seats have clearly been re-trimmed in a non-original style, and judging by the folds of excess material, not particularly well. SLCs are not greatly loved in the market, which is a shame, but I would buy a pristine original one if I had the choice.

5. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
    There is an ex MB Technician based in Redditch on the Mercedes Benz Club forum - Mech Tech I think- who may give you an informed opinion on the car. He does a great deal of restoration work on SL' s and is highly regarded.

6. ianrandom

ianrandom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Berks mainly, UK. Devon too a lot of the time.
    Car:
    1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2CV6.
    Gorgeous, I love the SLC. Real shame about those seats though.

7. OP
    OP
    CharlesdeGaulle

CharlesdeGaulle Member

Car:
    Thanks for all the comments chaps. I hadn't picked-up the seats. I'll probably go and see it but will try and contain my enthusiasm!

8. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    I think the seats are your least concern at this price bracket. If you do like the car and it's in reasonable condition for the money, go for it. :thumb: :D

9. SG1

SG1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    I had a look at one a few years ago, same colour and previously from the SL shop. It had an original interior but that could have been retrimmed. If it's the same car it's a rust bucket.

10. automaniaman

automaniaman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Yes one of those
    As stated, beware of the dreaded tin worm.

11. OP
    OP
    CharlesdeGaulle

CharlesdeGaulle Member

Car:
    To close the loop on this, I decided against buying. Many thanks for the comments and advice.

Tags: