SLC 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah that's a 107026 which is the model designation for the 450SLC 5.0 and 500SLC's. They were a limited production run of around 2700 cars (about 1600 450slc 5.0 and 1100 500SLC's) from 1977-1981 and built as a homologation special so that Mercedes Benz could enter rallying. They used the all alloy version of the 450sl motor bored to 5.0 liters. In later years, the same basic engine was used in the R107, 500SL and the W126 500SEC and SEL.

I've had 4 of these in the past and still own an inca red 450slc 5.0 that I need to put back together.

1593533137713.png

Yes, lovely cars.

The late LJKS described the 450 SLC as 'the best Mercedes', even better than the 6.9, and wrote an excellent article on the 450SLC 5.0. I had the basic 450SLC back in the day (for 10 years) and would have another now if the right one came along. They fell out of favour for quite a while but seem to be attracting more of a following now.

Wheels are a personal thing but I preferred the original mexican hat style ones. Were those pictured AMG-option wheels? - can't recall now.

There's certainly some knowledgeable people on here, well done guys

My dad had a champagne 450 SLC back in 79. Sexy motor

They are lovely cars , so comfortable, and I love the way you can see out from the drivers seat through the slats in front of the C pillar .

They were normally 450SLC 5.0 in the UK , a friend also had a 280SLC , which was quite unusual here ; most being 350s and 450s .

it looks in fantastic condition

any interior pics?

My wife had a 450slc in the early 80s. great car took us and the two (very small ) kids to the south of France two years running. Queit quick very relaxing. there was also a 560slc produced in small numbers for the US and the middle East unfortunately all, I think, with the ugly US federal bumpers . I remember seeing one hurtling down Park Lane in the 80s driven by a sheik with diplomatic plates. They and the 500 sl/ slc look so much better when you remove the ugly black and well named rear spoiler Not many of them left now.

Nice to see any old MB in good condition, but the styling of the SLC (with the huge rear screen and 'filler panels' in front of the C posts) never worked for me.

there was also a 560slc produced in small numbers for the US and the middle East unfortunately all, I think, with the ugly US federal bumpers . I remember seeing one hurtling down Park Lane in the 80s driven by a sheik with diplomatic plates.

No, there wasn't. SLC production ended in 1981 and the 560 engine was introduced 5 years later in 1986. Your sheik probably had too much chic and tried a bit of badge engineering. There is a 560SL that was sold in the US, Japan and Australia.

Ah it could have been an Sl 560 then. My mistake

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: 219
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Except the SLC was the C107 as the R107 was only the roadster ( and the first to use the designation since the factory referred to the Pagodas as W113 )

No, there wasn't. SLC production ended in 1981 and the 560 engine was introduced 5 years later in 1986. Your sheik probably had too much chic and tried a bit of badge engineering. There is a 560SL that was sold in the US, Japan and Australia.
Yep , the 560 came out in the SEC 126 Coupes , which were the replacement for the SLC range .

And the larger engine was really only developed for the US where emissions control equipment took so much power away from the 5.0 ; the same reason the 450 was developed after the 350 was introduced a decade earlier .

Yep , the 560 came out in the SEC 126 Coupes , which were the replacement for the SLC range .

And the larger engine was really only developed for the US where emissions control equipment took so much power away from the 5.0 ; the same reason the 450 was developed after the 350 was introduced a decade earlier .

I'm not sure if smog was the only reason. The 560 motor was offered in Europe and make 300hp which was significantly more than the 500 engine that made 240. When 560SL was introduced , it was the only engine available for the SL in the US market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom