SLC headlight from Halogen to Led

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunkan

Car
SLC 300 AMG Line
Has anyone changed the dip beam halogen bulbs to led's on a SLC ?

Last edited:
Change the whole headlight for LED ones you mean? Sounds expensive.

Anything else would not be legal.

It can be done but will cost you thousands.

I upgraded mine to much brighter incandescent bulbs. (Can’t remember the make but they were good quality). Made a good difference and felt that they were up to the job unlike the factory fitted bulbs.

No, but had to buy a LED headlight for the wifes SLC when hers decided to stop working correctly, over £1000!

No sorry just the dipped beam bulbs, I'll edit my post
Cant do that....not legal and rightly so....will also fail the MOT regardless of light pattern. Headlight designed for halogen bulbs cannot correctly focus the light from LED bulbs (look at proper LED headlights,....they are completely different design). Not to mention you will probably dazzle other drivers. Just get upgraded but legal halogen bulbs. I like Osram Nightbreakers myself.

From the tester manual,

Section 4.1.4 of the current MOT inspection manuals for both motorcycles and cars and passenger vehicles states ‘Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’

Thou shall become aware of a return of hanging by ones gonads, until longer by 1/10 a fathom.
Such a penalty shall be imposed for:

farting in such a place as controlled by ULEZ legislations;

exceeding the normal pace of a walking man in Wales, unless so as to chase sheep;

not providing your sovereign with a workable pen;

allowing a motorized vehicle to be in the vicinity of a push bike (when ridden so not really a push bike), or two, or three, or however many choose to hold hands whilst ascending an incline, that should they wish to leap from their push bike/s (when ridden) that the person of whatever gender they choose to be on said day might feel a whoosh as you pass;

the fitting, or allowing to be fitted, any such lamp (light bulb for the lesser educated) into a light unit, on a motor vehicle, unless the lamp has been approved for said light unit by an organisation that our sovereign state is no longer subject to the laws and regulations of, unless we choose to be, which we do.

So be prepared to get thy gonads in a noose, not a moose because that's subject to Canadian legislation.

Technically yes:

But note the comments:
"It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements"
"The lamps are not permitted to use on public roads"

Sadly, these H7 Halogen to LED conversions are not legal in the UK or EU.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I fitted HID's to my E46 which had halogens but like the SLC the dip beam has projector lenses, we did some tests at night and there were no problems with dazzling other road users and the beam pattern passed the mot. I will probably try the Philips uprated Halogens to see how much better they are than stock. Its funny some cars that come with LED'S are terrible for dazzling oncoming traffic, obviously I dont wish to join that club

Reactions: Ted
Technically yes:

But note the comments:
"It is your own responsibility to ensure that the use of the LED retrofit lights complies with applicable local legal requirements"
"The lamps are not permitted to use on public roads"

Sadly, these H7 Halogen to LED conversions are not legal in the UK or EU.
Thanks for the links, I'd found these already but read all sorts of varying comments on them saying they don't fit and you need to modify the headlight etc

Whether they have a good beam pattern or not it does not matter....it's still illegal, will (should) fail the MOT. If that E46 passed let's hope he checks your brakes better than your lights! Insurance could be dodgy too as technically your are driving an illegal car.

No, but had to buy a LED headlight for the wifes SLC when hers decided to stop working correctly, over £1000!
Yes not cheap for sure, found a pair at a breakers but no idea if they can be retro fitted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom