Sleepy Comand SatNav R231. 2015/2016 Map Version 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6GBJ

Car
GLC 43
Hi Folks. I took our first touring trip in the recently acquired R231 SL400 this week and spent some days in Northumbria and Co. Durham. After setting a route before leaving the hotel, Heidi (she who lives inside the SatNav) took ages to wake up and work out where she was and which way to turn. She usually came awake for the next junction/instruction but there were other times when she got totally confused and talked total garbage. We were largely in rural areas but the weather as almost always cloudy.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I recall waiting ages for an early TomTom to find satellite signals but not in any of my previous Mercs. The previous owner had annual servicing done at a Merc dealership but they obviously did not update the maps. If they were not 200 miles away I would ask them to do it now. My easy option is my local and very good Indie. Even with new maps, I wonder if the slow wake up would persist - it seems to me that it may not be connected with the maps. As for the talking of garbage, the roads we were on have not changed for hundreds of years so again, new maps would not help. I would be most interested in any advice and/or experience !

Having said all that, the trip and the car were brilliant. The R231 is IMHO far superior to the R230 (both SL350). The 9g gearbox in Sport and the 367bhp engine are a great team on some brilliant driving roads in the NE region.

Need pics 😊

I don’t have your Sat Nav issues in my pre facelift R231 but the map was updated in Jul 2018.

After setting a route before leaving the hotel, Heidi (she who lives inside the SatNav) took ages to wake up and work out where she was and which way to turn. She usually came awake for the next junction/instruction but there were other times when she got totally confused and talked total garbage.

Sounds like she’s been out on the p.i.s.s again with Ken :rolleyes:

I can only suggest a firmware update.

If the car is still under warranty, take it to the dealer and explain the issue, they might offer a free firmware update (the software itself is free, but they usually charge for the labour).

If it's no longer under warranty, ask the dealer to quote for firmware update... or drive down to www.comandonline.co.uk in Lightwater (not very near you, sadly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom