Slight Chain Rattle on start-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mct_cars

Car
Mercedes R107 500 SL
Hi All,

I've noticed the last couple of times I've started the car a slight rattle on start up. On each occasion, it has happened from cold start and only when the engine hasn't "caught" cleanly on all cylinders.

The chain and tensioner where changed 8k miles ago and I've checked the timing "stretch" which is well within tolerance.

Could it be guides? If so can someone tell me how to check? any other possibilities?

I can only see it being the tensioner not holding oil pressure when the engine is off, or the crankshaft juddering due to the firing not being even.

I can only see it being the tensioner not holding oil pressure when the engine is off, or the crankshaft juddering due to the firing not being even.

The tensioner is quite new, so I'm tempted to agree with your second thought. I'll keep an eye.

In the meantime I think I'll change the plugs, dizzy and arm which should sort the starting out.

Quick update.

Changed the Dizzy, Rotor, plugs and Air Filter. Car now starts on all 8 cylinders together with no chain noise on start up.

Two big differences from the work - firstly, the exhaust note is much more "V8" burble when revved - just sounds cleaner and secondly , there is noticeably more torque from lower revs along with a much more willingness to rev.

Well worth doing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom