slight overreaction from motorcyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRight

Car
S205 C63s Estate + w211 e63 +smart 44 brabus sport
we were casually driving along when a bmw driver decided to overtake a motorcycle which was doing 30 in a 40mph zone. The motorcyclist proceeds to behave very recklessly and and commences making a fool of himself. I'm glad the BMW driver kept his cool and didnt beat the rider to a pulp.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

we were casually driving along when a bmw driver decided to overtake a motorcycle which was doing 30 in a 40mph zone. The motorcyclist proceeds to behave very recklessly and and commences making a fool of himself. I'm glad the BMW driver kept his cool and didnt beat the rider to a pulp.

While the motorcyclist's subsequent behaviour is inexcusable - your "a bmw driver decided to overtake a motorcycle which was doing 30 in a 40mph zone" may be literally correct but by omission doesn't present a fair description of how the situation arose.

The motorcycle was not ambling alonng on its own following a car "doing 30 in a 40mph zone". Looks like it was following quite closely. A BMW following this pair then closes up and squeezes along side the motorcycle - probably positioning early in anticipation of the road getting wider. However at this point the road is still single carriageway width. The motorcycle is boxed in and slows. The BMW has in effect forced its way in. Then the silliness really starts as the situation is compounded by the lead car briefly braking ..... and the biker makes an **** of himself.

Biker should perhaps have been positioned better - a bit further out from the kerb.

BMW should have been more patient and considerate.

Does the BMW not overtake the motorcycle on a single carriageway road whilst there are cars coming the other way, or have I missed something?

I don’t think that’s a particularly polite way to drive.

the bike was going very slowly for a long time, he was in no hurry, I was observing the situation unfold and predicted it to my dad in law sitting next to me well before it happened. why didnt he try and take his anger out on the grey van that did pretty much the same thing as the bmw?

in either case neither vehicle should have overtaken him as it was one lane, but on the other hand the motorcyclist was pretty stupid.

I put my hazards on and was about to go and try and diffuse the situation but it sorted itself out luckily. if I were to pin someone to the floor it would be the helmet with the helmet who was the aggressor , not the bmw driver.

motorcyclists are okay with overtaking cars in the same situation but cant take it when it happens to them. completely hypocritical.

dbl post, sorry

Does the BMW not overtake the motorcycle on a single carriageway road whilst there are cars coming the other way, or have I missed something?

I don’t think that’s a particularly polite way to drive.
it isnt a correct maneuver at all but he was riding really slowly and could have let the vehicles travelling much faster past without making a utter tit of himself . I would never have overtaken him but this is london , its normal.

Can’t help thinking they’re both a pair of muppets.

Mr BMW being impatient and being pushy and somewhat aggressive. Biker couldn’t help himself and had to make a point.

"Motorcyclist" looked more like a scooter rider and possibly on a machine limited to 30mph , Mr M4 had plenty of oomph to overtake when the slightest opportunity arose so no need to try and squeeze through as he was only going to get stuck behind the van anyway.

You can feel very vulnerable on two wheels when you are flat out and being "bullied" out of the way knowing full well there is only going to be one winner if paint is exchanged.

Bottom line M4 man should have waited , scooter boy shouldn`t have thrown a tantrum but i can understand his mindset in that particular situation.

Just my 2p worth.

K

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

here is the minute recording prior to the poorly judged overtake.

I get it , sometimes I want to get out of my car and smack someone too for driving like an imbecile . I was doing the limit just a couple of weeks back and someone overtakes me as we approach the lights, slams on the brakes in front of me and turns left off the road, forcing me to brake quite hard, so impatient fools use that road all day, every day. Yes I felt like following him and modifying his face but that is a stupid thing to do isnt it.

I use that road twice a week and the road sign warning drivers that the road will become a single carriage way is displayed right where it changes so for the unaware user, I think it is a bit late. The scooter rider should not have been boxed in like that , certainly, no argument from me.

the bmw AND the van should not have been overtaking the scooter or whatever that contraption is (dkdc). approaching the lights , it turns into 2 lanes briefly and that is when they should have thought (if safe to do so) about going past after the cars turning right.

Low powered motorcycles/scooters are not very safe if they can't keep up with the traffic flow. Power permitting they should ride in the middle of the lane not the gutter otherwise it invites this sort of overtaking. How ever slow he was going, if he was close to the car in front then the BMW shouldn't have overtaken. How close is close ? well motorcyclist being vulnerable like more space around them than cars so that they can see the road surface ahead and that may not be appreciated by car drivers.

All in all they were both at fault to some extent, motorcycle should have been better positioned and BMW should have waited until there was a space to overtake into.

Low powered motorcycles/scooters are not very safe if they can't keep up with the traffic flow. Power permitting they should ride in the middle of the lane not the gutter otherwise it invites this sort of overtaking. How ever slow he was going, if he was close to the car in front then the BMW shouldn't have overtaken. How close is close ? well motorcyclist being vulnerable like more space around them than cars so that they can see the road surface ahead and that may not be appreciated by car drivers.

All in all they were both at fault to some extent, motorcycle should have been better positioned and BMW should have waited until there was a space to overtake into.
I would argue the van should not have overtaken either once the scooter was on the road.

in either case , first and foremost , the scooterist or whatever the h€ll he should be referred to, should not have joined the road in the first place from the giveaway until clear. if anyone caused the initial issue , it was him . Therefore he should have let the faster cars pass if he stupidly joined the road onto a single carriageway with cars jostling for progress, period.

if a fight had ensued, I would have not been sympathising with the scooterist and would be looking to protect the car driver if needed. that being said , I have a feeling the car driver would have beaten him to a pulp.

While the motorcyclist's subsequent behaviour is inexcusable - your "a bmw driver decided to overtake a motorcycle which was doing 30 in a 40mph zone" may be literally correct but by omission doesn't present a fair description of how the situation arose.

The motorcycle was not ambling alonng on its own following a car "doing 30 in a 40mph zone". Looks like it was following quite closely. A BMW following this pair then closes up and squeezes along side the motorcycle - probably positioning early in anticipation of the road getting wider. However at this point the road is still single carriageway width. The motorcycle is boxed in and slows. The BMW has in effect forced its way in. Then the silliness really starts as the situation is compounded by the lead car briefly braking ..... and the biker makes an **** of himself.

Biker should perhaps have been positioned better - a bit further out from the kerb.

BMW should have been more patient and considerate.
you got me there , I should have said " scooterist dangerously joins single carriageway from a give way and then gets butt hurt when the cars he cuts up overtake him ". how's that ? :D

Reactions: 219

my theory is that when the little hatch overtook the cars in the right lane (including myself, BMW and grey van) , that got the bmw driver inspired to drive erratically from that point. up to the overtake , I have to say , he was driving perfectly and I had followed him for a couple of miles prior to that.

my theory is that when the little hatch overtook the cars in the right lane (including myself, BMW and grey van) , that got the bmw driver inspired to drive erratically from that point. up to the overtake , I have to say , he was driving perfectly and I had followed him for a couple of miles prior to that.

If any of you had been in the correct lane the blue car could not have overtaken you on the left...

Just saying.

If any of you had been in the correct lane the blue car could not have overtaken you on the left...

Just saying.
nonsense, we were all in the correct lane. it isnt a motorway and given it was about to form one lane , everyone was driving at the speed limit, I dont see it personally

Last edited:

That is what set the train in motion. I'm inclined to think the BMW driver wanted to get even with the hatch. The scooter was in the way.
Messy, but at least the two spoke not fought. Not quite the popcorn moment some may have anticipated - or relished?

That is what set the train in motion. I'm inclined to think the BMW driver wanted to get even with the hatch. The scooter was in the way.
Messy, but at least the two spoke not fought. Not quite the popcorn moment some may have anticipated - or relished?

yes I think the BMW guy had no idea the lanes would converge and wanted to show the little hatch it shouldn't dare sneak past the ultimate driving machine like that..

hahaha yes good YouTube viewing would have required some sort of punch up! I'm just glad it didn't escalate as I had my inlaws and 3 year old daughter in the car and I certainly didnt want to expose my child to violence if I had got out to stop a fight. phew...

why I was impressed with the bmw driver is I recall the motorcyclist push him slightly after their heated up words and he could have pushed him back but didnt.

Again, it was wrong for the van and BMW to try and go past the bike BUT it was completely wrong for the bike to join the road from the giveaway in the first place and so the idiot should have been more aware of his actions in the first place.

Vulnerable road user gets harassed and scared by person(s) in big metal padded box.

No wonder he reacted with fight or flight.

It's awful being a motorcyclist or cyclist these days, the 5% of car drivers in their insulating car that do not have any empathy for anyone else is astounding.

On a bike I usually ride in the middle of the lane at crunch points and narrow lanes. It pisses people off but stops them squeezing past with oncoming traffic.

Hang back, give them a wide berth, be safe.

Vulnerable road user gets harassed and scared by person(s) in big metal padded box.

No wonder he reacted with fight or flight.

It's awful being a motorcyclist or cyclist these days, the 5% of car drivers in their insulating car that do not have any empathy for anyone else is astounding.

On a bike I usually ride in the middle of the lane at crunch points and narrow lanes. It pisses people off but stops them squeezing past with oncoming traffic.

Hang back, give them a wide berth, be safe.
Ordinarily i completely agree, I've seen so many bicycle riders especially being given 6 inches of space as an impatient car user overtakes when oncoming traffic is also approaching giving no margin for error. scary stuff.

However , in this instance the scooterist should never have joined the road and they are entirely at fault

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom