Slipped disc advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a large L4/5 prolapse in March 2012.
I was very lucky not to be confined to a wheelchair and, or doubly incontinent.

Sure, I have been left with some problems, (I now walk with a limp and have a few other nasties) but escaping the paralysis and incontinence is a welcome trade off.

I thank my chiropractor, Dr Scott Middleton for spotting my condition and calling an ambulance, and also the fantastic neurosurgery staff at Salford Royal Hospital that performed a laminectomy/discectomy operation.

I had suffered with a bad back for years that was so painful, if someone sat on the bed, I would be in agony.
I would go to the chiropractor and he would always put things right.

Circa 3 years before the big injury, I had my first experience of sciatica (accross the top of my buttocks). This went away after around 6 hours.

The next time I got sciatica, was the big injury. I had the pain down both legs - a bad sign.
Next morning, I couldn't feel anything in my saddle area. I couldn't even feel anything when having a pee!

If anyone gets any of the above symptoms, it IS NOT something to wait and see if it goes away on its own.
It IS a medical emergency and an operation is required, ideally within 24 hours of symptom onset.

When I was discharged, the weather was lovely and I had an appointment at my GP surgery around 7-10 days later.
My walking was poor but had to be worked on and with no driving allowed for 14 days after the operation, Mrs Ringway suggested we take a slow walk to the appointment, around a quarter of a mile away.
This was when I realised how lucky I am to live in the UK.
I just could not make it, my legs just wouldn't carry me.
I was effectively stranded and I then thought of someone in the same situation in a country with no NHS, with no transport, with no-one to help.

The spine is a delicate thing and I am always reminding young Ringway, Les, big lad though he is, that lifting incorrectly is dangerous and also to let someone else push that car that won't start.

I'd also like to thank Dieselman for his advice/help after my operation.
In the past, he had also had spinal surgery and having someone to talk things through with was reassuring.

On the advice of the gaffer at the Southport Spinal hospital where I was an in patient for a while, if I could offer one tip (I'm guilty) it would be...

Never do this!

1604455388798.png

As above...

when mine was ‘bad’ (before the epidural injections) I had sciatica - when it got to altered sensation in foot - felt like I had ground glass in my shoes- is when I got ‘moved up the list‘- pdq.

The altered nerve ‘damage’ can start moving ‘back up the leg and can lead to incontinence, which can become permanent if not addressed promptly.
(Luckily i avoided all that)

I still have a bit of sciatica, (the gift that keeps on giving) - it’s a bit tight today actually, bit too much in the garden yesterday maybe?
but I’ll do some stretches and ibuprofen and take today a bit easier.

**always beware of any altered sensation moving further down outside of leg... if it gets to your foot, get to A&E 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom