Slippery slope, ive been buying cleaning kit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesfuller

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C240 Elegance & S210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
After being inspired by some recent posts and conversations at gtg's, I have been collecting some products over the last few days.

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here but I went in Halfrauds today and all cleaning stuff is on 3 for 2 offer!

Got 2 buckets:eek: as I shall be trying this method rather than the drive it to homebase and get 4 guys to do it method.
2 sponges, a clay kit and lots of stuff from Autoglym, Faracla and Mequires.

Haven't bothered with snow foam yet but will see how it goes as I do like the look of this stuff.

So busy boy next weekend and hopefully a deeper shine on the 126!

Also, I know its been covered and re asked lots of times before but any tips on claying always appreciated. I am going to have a go on the Audi before anything else!

I read somewhere about cutting the clay bar in half, would this cut contamination? How long does a bar last? Don't want to get half the car done and its had it!

Good for you - your car, your cash.

I've just spent £50 on bits and pieces - my pal gets off his face on a Friday night, spends close to that on making a fool of himself, then suffers for the rest of the weekend.

And he thinks I'm the odd one :rolleyes:.

i've given up trying to jusitfy why i spend so much on detailing gear as it is so worth it if you want your car properly cleaned and maintained. get yourself a couple of fluffy drying towels and a lambs wool mitt, they will reduce the amount of swirl marks appearing on your paint! good luck trying to fight the addiction ;)

I'm quite looking forward to getting started!

I have sort of justified some of the expenditure as I will be sprucing up some of my other vehicles before selling them (the mrs fell for it any way:D)

As the car will not be in daily use my plan is to remove the interior to fit the upgraded (period correct) stereo parts I have been collecting for years!
While its all in bits I will be giving it a proper deep clean.

I would welcome any recommendations for cleaning a cream carpet! I've wanted to do this since I bought the car but have never got round to it!
The previous owner (maybe a doctor, royalty or a nun) smoked cigars while driving it (ok, maybe not a nun then) and the leather had quite a layer of grime, along with everything else, there was also a film of gunk on the inside of the windows!

I am satisfied every thing else inside is perfectly clean but I've not got around to that carpet and I get the feeling it has potential to look a lot better.

Also, I know its been covered and re asked lots of times before but any tips on claying always appreciated. I am going to have a go on the Audi before anything else!

I read somewhere about cutting the clay bar in half, would this cut contamination? How long does a bar last? Don't want to get half the car done and its had it!
Cut it into at least 6 pieces. Use a new piece for each panel if clay is contaminated. If you drop a piece, bin it.

Buy some cheap detailing spray to use as the clay lube, save the good detailing spray for topping up after a good clean and wax etc or when you can't be ****d to wash it :)

As said, cut it up, personally I cut it in half. I then put it in a bowl of warm water, this makes it more playable and fold over easier without tearing, so you have a clean surface to work from, then use a quick detailer and mist on and off you go. You'll know when to move on as you'll feel it grabbing, once this stops it's time to move on, 6inch square at a time.

Personally I go around and use AG tar spot remover on all those obvious tar spots beforehand. Then clay after as it also helps to get ride of the cloudiness it leaves behind.

Once you have clayed the car don't forget to polish and seal with wax, as by claying you would have removed and polish/wax that was on the car ;)

It's a 'good' afternoon to do it right.

As always start at the top and work your way down. Leaving the sills until last.

Hope this helps

I have some old turtlewax detailer spray so will use that for lube, thanks for the advise guys.

I bought the tar spot remover as it seems to have a fair few uses, along with lots of microfibre cloths and some cotton rags, will get her as spotless as I can before I clay it.

I got Faracla G3 for if I unearth any scratches, then I have AG srp then high def wax for the light coloured cars, have got some mequires wax for darker cars.

Made a start today!

Clayed it:bannana: and re washed.
Went over the whole car with G3 Compound using the Faracla white sponge thing.
Polished with SRP.
I still need to wax it but that will have to wait till tomorrow, it has a reasonable shine already though.

Still lots left to do but this will be done at a later date to coincide with other work on the car.

You said you bought sponges. Sponges make swirls, use a mirofible mitt.

Meguires lambs wool wash mitt
3 buckets
2 grit guards
Wash mitt for wheels
Autobright direct HD snowfoam for Nilfisk PW
Autobright Magifoam 5lt
Farcela G3 cutting polish
Meguirs 205 finishing polish
Various hexicore pads for rotary and DA

and then last week,

Cherry glaze and iron remover

That's this months cleaning puchases.

Detailing world is my new bible :)

Foamed
20140415_183215.jpg

This was the MG 205 with no glaze or wax yet, applied with a Indasa 2" da with a finishing head.
20140429_210701.jpg

So far I've spent around 10 hours and nowhere near finished yet.

My usual routine of washing is Rinse>Foam>Rinse>Tar remover>rinse>wash>Rinse>Dry

Then depend on how long I have glaze/Polish>wax>sealant

All of this is not needed every wash ofcourse, I generally try to do above once avery 3 months and Clay the car once a year.

Use a decent spray like megs finishing touch, it helps drying and gives you a nice sparkle at the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom