Slipping into neutral in an auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

October

Hi Folks,
I've recently switched from a manual diesel C200 to a petrol auto C180. *takes a bow*

In the manual car, when going downhill or coming up to a junction - basically anywhere where I need no acceleration - I used to slip the car into neutral and coast to a stop in a small bid to save the engine and small amount of petrol. It's just a thing that I did.

Question - would doing the same thing in an automatic have any adverse effects?

Cheers,
S.

As well as putting others at risk, by putting it into neutral you will have saved a minuscule amount of fuel.

No, don't do it. You'll wear out the box quicker and coasting in neutral prevents internal oil flow / lubrication of the autobox. It's not good practice even in manual cars !

As well as putting others at risk, by putting it into neutral you will have saved a minuscule amount of fuel.

In point of fact, you will actually use more fuel as, in most cars nowadays, the supply is cut off completely when coasting in gear.

Mind you, it was fun in the old days - 50s - when the old man would roll down from the top of Glen Ogle to Lochearnhead with the engine turned off - that really did save petrol!

No, don't do it. You'll wear out the box quicker and coasting in neutral prevents internal oil flow / lubrication of the autobox. It's not good practice even in manual cars !

+1 its the same reason that an auto can't be towed far or fast.

I only do it at junctions (e.g. bloody Traffic lights)

When you feel the release after slipping into neutral while standing still you know your saving fuel & wear. Plus it is safer and legal.

You will actully use more fuel, as well as damaging the autobox in the process. If your going to be stopped for a long time then yes, but never while the car is moving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom