SLK 171 Xenon retrofit - what's needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S60_alex

Car
'05 MB SLK 350 & '01 Volvo S60 T5
Dear all,

My fiancee and I have just purchased an '05 SLK 350 to replace our beloved R170 SLK 320.

It has every option bar bi-xenon lights. We got the car at a good price, budgeting for fitting genuine MB replacements.

Aside from a STAR update, are these lights plug & play - i.e. is the ballast & ignitor contained within the light housing. Additionally, how are signals for the cornering light function sent?

Thanks,

Alex

Apart from the headlamp units and ballast you have the control unit and you do need to install the leveling device to the rear axle, to stay within the law.

Retro kits are made

Are you meant to have headlamp washers on Xenons?

Yes you are. Luckily, these were specced by the previous owner (they pop out of the bumper).

I'd assumed the auto-levelling feature was contained within the lights (as with my Volvo?).

My idea of a budget was in the region of £1K, assuming I can find some used xenon units for the car. I'm just trying to work out any additional costs.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Alex

Its not too hard to do really.

Everything is located in, on or around the headlamp unit apart from the level sensors obviously.

I don't know if the 171 has a retrofit kit but then I've never really looked for one either so it could be lurking around somewhere, all it really takes to install is some common sense and a wiring diagram to be honest with you.

The cornering lamps are unrelated since they are a function of the fog's but the signals are sent via CAN to the SAM that runs the show, from there its discrete lines.

It's nice to see someone wanting to fit Xenons who is aware of the law on the subject - must be the better class of users we get on this site :)

I dont think £1K is enough. I believe - and I am willing to be shot down in flames over this - I BELIEVE the Xenon replacements are nearly £900 - PER SIDE.
I now await the flame throwers..........

I know Xenons are the bees knees -- but why not pay out £30 for new +80 bulbs and see how you feel about them before whacking out 1-2k on the xenons....if you like them you are quids in if you don't what's £30 in grand scale of the conversion.........

I think the concensus is it is better to upgrade the existing lights. Sounds a cheaper and easier option.

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/2936-install-hids-into-r171-slk.html

I have to agree. I have the bi-xenons on my SLK and sure, they certainly look cool and give off an amazing light pattern but I still doubt that, (for me at least), they were a wise investment especially for round where I live in towns and cities.

If I were to start again I'd probably have the HK sound system and multi CD for the near the same money.

Portzy.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the responses. Apologies in advance for the mass reply:

crockers - thanks for the suggestion. I have the Phillips Extreme Power +80% bulbs in my Volvo (H7) and the R170 (H4) - and I will do as you suggest to see how I find them in the projector lights of the 171.

colin_b - Do you know of any insurance implications for fitting an H7 xenon retro-fit kit? I am worried this would count as a modification and bump up my insurance?

portzy - thanks for your experiences. I live in central London so will notice little difference for the most of the time - I just promised myself the next car I would buy would have xenons - and then this one came along and ruined the plan!

I'm so excited about picking the car up on Sat, its specs are:

'05 54 plate
13,000 miles
Iridium silver with dusky red interior
Airscalf
Comand/nav/telephone prep
Harmon/Kardon sound
Parktronic
Headlamp washers
Luxury climate

Thanks again!

Alex

Do you know of any insurance implications for fitting an H7 xenon retro-fit kit? I am worried this would count as a modification and bump up my insurance?

You should certainly notify your insurers ... even factory options from new are technically 'declarable' as the insurance premium is based on the standard spec. for that model.

That includes totally cosmetic mods. like changing the exhaust tips or de-badging as these can (supposedly) affect the risk of theft by making the car look more desirable.

I think it's extremely unlikely your premium would be affected by a HID upgrade. But for peace of mind I would definitely tell them if you go ahead.

I'm so excited about picking the car up on Sat, its specs are:

'05 54 plate
13,000 miles
Iridium silver with dusky red interior
Airscalf
Comand/nav/telephone prep
Harmon/Kardon sound
Parktronic
Headlamp washers
Luxury climate

Thanks again!

Alex

Very nice :D - hello and welcome btw (I dont think I said that before) - and have a :bannana:

Portzy.

I have the Phillips Extreme Power +80% bulbs in my Volvo (H7) and the R170 (H4) - and I will do as you suggest to see how I find them in the projector lights of the 171.

I've just fitted them to all 3 of our vehicles and they have to be the most cost-effective lighting upgrade ever! These bulbs are heavily discounted on eBay, for H4s I paid £21-£22 a pair including next day delivery. For some bizarre reason the simpler H7s cost more (and of course you need twice as many!).

I also really like the look of OEM HIDs and would specify them from new if possible (they've not been available as an option on my last 2 vehicles). But I would struggle to justify the cost of a retro-fit though.

I think it's extremely unlikely your premium would be affected by a HID upgrade. But for peace of mind I would definitely tell them if you go ahead.

On my SL I had factory fitted Xenons and one insurance company told me that I did need to declare them, simply because in the event of a front end accident, the repair cost would be significantly higher than that of regular lights.

Secondly when cars are stolen to order, options such as Xenons and Command etc are desirable.

I have to agree. I have the bi-xenons on my SLK and sure, they certainly look cool and give off an amazing light pattern but I still doubt that, (for me at least), they were a wise investment especially for round where I live in towns and cities.

If I were to start again I'd probably have the HK sound system and multi CD for the near the same money.

Portzy.

Have to say the xenons are excellent, and very useful to me, I live in the middle of nowhere, lots of unlit B roads. A must for me.

I'd tell the insurance co., they shouldn't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom