Slk 200 ,r172

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jp 1

Car
sprinter van,triumph stag,Nissan qashqai,bmwz4
Hi all looking at Slk 200 r172 petrol.
This will be used as a second vehicle. Is there any thing I should be looking out for, (good or bad). Any views etc will be much appreciated.
Thanks, john.

Consider the 250cdi. Good bhp & torque, works well with auto box.
We had no problems at all in 3 years ownership from new other than easy to curb alloys & tyres and the well documented red paint problems.

Essential options - heated seats & parktronic. Anything else is a bonus. Plug in Becker sat nav can be bought on ebay - not as good as tomtom but integrates well with no trailing wires.
Amg sport spec nicer than standard.

Essential options - heated seats & parktronic. Anything else is a bonus. Plug in Becker sat nav can be bought on ebay - not as good as tomtom but integrates well with no trailing wires.
Amg sport spec nicer than standard.

As far as options go I would echo what piff wrote,if you will only be doing low mileage I would go for a petrol and the 350 v6 would be my choice(we test drove a 4pot r172 slk200 petrol when looking for a replacement slk for the wife and found it to be noisy almost diesel like-apparently it's the fuel pump).

Nice to know you've had no problems, shame about red paint . Thanks for your advice

Consider the 250cdi. Good bhp & torque, works well with auto box.
We had no problems at all in 3 years ownership from new other than easy to curb alloys & tyres and the well documented red paint problems.

Nice to know you've had no problems. Shame about red paint problems.

As far as options go I would echo what piff wrote,if you will only be doing low mileage I would go for a petrol and the 350 v6 would be my choice(we test drove a 4pot r172 slk200 petrol when looking for a replacement slk for the wife and found it to be noisy almost diesel like-apparently it's the fuel pump).

Thanks for the info, yes mileage will be low. Will also look at the 350

Has anybody had on the r172 roof seal problems (leaking)

I've had two R172 SLK now and neither has had any problems at all, of any kind. Very good cars. Mine were/are 250 diesels.

I'd add neck scarf to the essential accessories. Makes winter top down driving a pleasure!

red paint problems are common across several models, not just slk. manifests as micro blistering of the paint surface on metal panels, mb accept the problem & will authorise repaint. but what would you prefer, a factory finish or an aftermarket respray?

red paint problems are common across several models, not just slk. manifests as micro blistering of the paint surface on metal panels, mb accept the problem & will authorise repaint. but what would you prefer, a factory finish or an aftermarket respray?

Got to be factory finish piff, :thumb:

Has anybody had on the r172 roof seal problems (leaking)

The pano roof models don't appear to have leak problems and the magic sky feature is brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom