SLK 32 AMG THOUGHTS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rare colour. I’ve never seen another

You can actually see my one in pic 2. Just noticed
Nice and very rare colour as you say. I think you should refinish the calipers in silver. The owner will thank you 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Nice and very rare colour as you say. I think you should refinish the calipers in silver. The owner will thank you 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Sapphire blue I think. They should be unpainted on this model, but anything would be better than the red…

Owner is a bit of a collector. Also has an R171 SLK55 AMG in white (!), and a pre-facelift 204 C63 T model. Also 996 turbo in red and an S1 E type roadster

Last edited:
It is a rare colour, as only 34 blue ones were ever sold here.
Agree with the choice of colour on the calipers as well, I think the original silver is better, or maybe body colour if you have to paint them ?

Mine is also still on original paint ;)

Edit
There were only 17 white R171 55's over here, another unusual sight !

Last edited:
I didn't know these existed! I previously had a 230 of the same generation. Does anyone know how many were produced?

These were small cars! And prone to rust-- in particular being based on the shortened W202 chassis the front spring upper mounts tended to part company with the inner wing metal. I imagine repair panels are now fairly non-existent for these models. Looks a well looked after example but I would be concerned slightly about the four years SORN??

I didn't know these existed! I previously had a 230 of the same generation. Does anyone know how many were produced?
There were 4333 built, and initially 260 were imported to the UK over the four years of their production.

(I've got to get out more) :)

Just for Rob, ‘cause he’ll only moan if I don’t. 68k, pretty clean. She’s had some paint in her time, but the only R170 I’ve seen that’s never had paint is my own one…

6-EEA9-D45-9421-4-BF5-A096-923-D2-C2-CE8-D5.jpg

CF1712-E5-C84-B-4552-8438-22-EA48-DFAA75.jpg

BF0-DCA33-20-F1-44-B2-9-E34-5-A7-A5-F2-B671-C.jpg

FB9-F6568-4918-4246-8913-4-EAF3733-A11-B.jpg
You should be careful posting photos, there is a stalker on the forum who will track down your address and taunt you with it.

I've had two SLK32's over the years, one silver and one black. They are nice cars but I never thought they were amazing and they were also very difficult to sell. My father actually has owned one for years with 16k miles and one previous owner, it's like a new car.

By the way lovely CSL!

That quite a nice looking one. See lots for sale at big money, and always tatty in the flesh. As you say rust is always a big issue.

There were 4333 built, and initially 260 were imported to the UK over the four years of their production.

I would imagine half if not more of those 260 have rusted away. There is only one way the price will go for these.....

Looks like they peaked at 283 in the UK ... as of Q3 2021 there were 189 on the road and 70 SORNed

1642715088816.png

That's why an R171 is a better buy, as it's galvanised! You can find good R170's that are rust free - friend of mine bought a one owner one from the engineer who is the name on most of Mr Dyson's patents - but caveat emptor! My SLK 280 R171 has more than enough get up and go for me, and is neither silver nor black!!

That's why an R171 is a better buy, as it's galvanised! You can find good R170's that are rust free - friend of mine bought a one owner one from the engineer who is the name on most of Mr Dyson's patents - but caveat emptor! My SLK 280 R171 has more than enough get up and go for me, and is neither silver nor black!!
I wouldn't call it a better buy, just 'cause it's galvanised !
The R170 and R171 are completley different cars to own, service, maintain and drive.
Although they both share the folding tin top, the R171 was available with that glorious V8 ;)

Surely these are a good investment if you buy a nice example ?

Surely these are a good investment if you buy a nice example ?
The 32 engines have never been as well liked as the 55/63 engines, and I doubt that will change over time. No doubt they will go up in valley over time - every car does - the demand is unlikely to be sufficient for it to fly up, and the running costs may negate most or all appreciation.

The 32 engines have never been as well liked as the 55/63 engines, and I doubt that will change over time. No doubt they will go up in valley over time - every car does - the demand is unlikely to be sufficient for it to fly up, and the running costs may negate most or all appreciation.

Good take. To be fair, I am quite the SLK fan and have owned one from each generation. I thought I was quite knowledgeable on them! I didn’t even realise these existed. Would love to see / hear one in the flesh

I recall a member here searching for an SLK32 for ages, but not liking it when they finally got to drive one and buying a 320 instead. So not everyone's cup of tea!

I recall a member here searching for an SLK32 for ages, but not liking it when they finally got to drive one and buying a 320 instead. So not everyone's cup of tea!
The 320 is an awesome car. Lots of fun for the money! MPG on the other hand…… also the interiors on the first generation are not great…

IIRC the 320 had the same engine as the 32 ... just without the supercharger. I guess still plenty of power for a small car without being as hardcore as the AMG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom