SLK 350 - Dead Battery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jocasta

Car
SLK 350 Obsidian Black
Hi all,

Went out to the garage this morning to take the car out for a run now that the snow has melted, i turned the ignition and all the lights came on but the engine did not turn over.

I've not been out in the car for about 3 weeks, so I'm thinking the battery might be dead? I have a Honda CR-V, could I jump start it from that? I'm a bit afraid of using a old-fashioned Honda jump start on my lovely computer-guided technical Mercedes...

Any advice please?

Sounds dead. I have seen Olly on here strongly advising against jumpstarting a modern Merc - I would call out Mobilo if you have the cover.

Rather than jump start try connecting a conditioner/charger for a few hours - will probably be ok then. Not sure about the 350 but on our SLK200 there is a specific jump start terminal on the opposite side of the engine bay to the battery under a flap with a red tab on it.

can you call out mobilo? let them get it going again....

Will take any if buts or disasters out of the mix. They are normally a very helpful cracking bunch of people. :)

This happened to mine about three years ago, after I'd left it standing for a few weeks. As others have advised, I used the MobiloLife cover, and a 24-hour support van was with me within the hour.

The 350 does have a separate battery terminal, but I would be wary of using this for anything other than a battery pack.

Happened to mine, very nearly, after about 17 days. Enough power to light the systems and slowly turn the starter and just start in warm weather.

I'd avoid jump leads and either call someone out or use a battery charger.

Thanks for all the responses, I had a search around the forum after my first post (yes, i should have done this first:eek:) and followed advice about connecting jump leads - NOT jumpstarting, but running the Honda for 5 mins, letting the SLK battery pick up some charge from that. It worked :bannana: I switched it off and then on again and everything is running perfectly. I then took it out for a half hour run - wow does that feel marvellous after driving the CR-V for 3 weeks non-stop :thumb:

Sooo, I don't want to push my luck, shall I get a new battery anyway, do I have to book it in to Merc or can I drive in and get it done? Sorry for so many questions, I've had the car for nearly 2 years and this is the first time ive had any kind of issue.

It's probably worth at least getting the battery tested to see whether it is still capable of holding a charge, which will tell you whether you need to replace it. I presume your local dealership will be able to perform such a test.

When I had my SLK restarted by the Mobilo man, he said it would be fine after a long run, and it has been ever since. My Fabia's battery, on the other hand, was dead as a dodo after I'd left the car sitting for a year or so :eek:, and definitely needed to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom