SLK 350 Rejected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Well a sad day, after numerous problems the dealership have agreed to take the car back and give a full refund.

I won't go into full details but the basics are as follows.

SRS light failure, Those rattling door locks, Comand shutting down at random and new gearbox required, 7G - symptom was a harsh downshift and generally not very smooth changes.

10 weeks old and off the road for half that time.

I must add that DC and the dealership were exemplary, I didn't have to go the legal route, they accepted a full refund was the best alternative.

DC have given me £700 "voucher" valid for two years should I buy any other MB.

Two final points: because of the way DC handled this I haven't been put off buying another Merc in the future - just not at the moment.

Secondly, I haven't decided on a replacement, it won't be a two seater. I still believe the SLK is the best in what it does so another two seater would not be as good, in my opinion.

Mike

try and get a new ML , see if the dealer can shuffle you up the waiting list and you will get a corker of a 4x4. Not to mention SLK style residuals on it.

What an absolute disaster, I commend the way you have dealt with this issue.

I would be tempted to have a Hamlett' moment.

You appear happy with the dealership (we both use the same one :) )

You are happy about the way you have been treated by DaimlerChrysler UK.

If you intend getting a new vehicle I would really take those points into consideration.

It sounds like you have already accepted the full refund which is understandable, but can you remember my situation when DaimlerChrysler made me a similar offer? You might be able to negotiate yourself a very nice deal on a 'better' vehicle?

The car I returned was a complete disaster, but I was treated in exactly the same manner as yourself and this convinced me to give the dealership a second chance. Since then I have not looked back, the cars I have bought have been a credit to the brand and the dealership has more than repaid my loyalty.

Good luck with your decision and remember there are plenty of demonstrators for you and your good lady to play with before rushing into any decision

glojo said:
What an absolute disaster, I commend the way you have dealt with this issue.

I would be tempted to have a Hamlett' moment.

It sounds like you have already accepted the full refund which is understandable, but can you remember my situation when DaimlerChrysler made me a similar offer? You might be able to negotiate yourself a very nice deal on a 'better' vehicle?

Hi John,

The reasons are numerous, yes I have decided on the refund, Fuzzer, I checked out the ML. Unfortunately Angie not keen on the size - I will be looking at a saloon - dreading telling everybody when I make my mind up!

However the experience has reinforced my view, John will agree, you don't buy the car as much as you buy the dealership. A poor dealership in this situation would have me pulling my hair out, what is left any way. :)

The girl at DC, said I had been very patient and calm with the whole issue - not blowing my own trumpet - but this may have encouraged them to refund.

This will be the first time in a few years that I am purchasing with out trading in....... should be fun.

(Angie is groaning already!)

Mike

What a nightmare this has been for you, but like John, I must commend you on the way you have handled it which has then resulted in a good outcome all round. Have a narna :bannana:

Hope you find the replacment very soon and that it's all you dream of. :rock:

MikeL said:
Hi John,

The reasons are numerous, yes I have decided on the refund, Fuzzer, I checked out the ML. Unfortunately Angie not keen on the size - I will be looking at a saloon - dreading telling everybody when I make my mind up!

However the experience has reinforced my view, John will agree, you don't buy the car as much as you buy the dealership. A poor dealership in this situation would have me pulling my hair out, what is left any way. :)

The girl at DC, said I had been very patient and calm with the whole issue - not blowing my own trumpet - but this may have encouraged them to refund.

This will be the first time in a few years that I am purchasing with out trading in....... should be fun.

(Angie is groaning already!)

Mike

Go and have a look at a BMW 5 series . 530d , cracking car im really really impressed by it , feels a lot more special inside than our E 211 ever did.

Is this a typical story? I was thinking about buying a new SLK after christmas.

ChloeFox said:
Is this a typical story? I was thinking about buying a new SLK after christmas.
It looks like the only story! I don't know what the waiting list is like for an SLK but if you order one after xmas it'll probably have had all the bugs ironed out.

I've heard nothing but good reports about the R171 - avoid the 7-speed 'box though apparantly. IMO the R171 is the car the R170 should have been, though still a generation behind a Boxster.

You could always buy a Mondeo ;)

tumbleweed.gif

MikeL said:

Did this DC girl, based at Milton Keynes, have the initials 'MP' perchance??

If so, I ended up having use a solicitor as they really did not care. I too was patient and polite. But I had to sue the dealer in the end (not same dealer as yours).

ddentrec said:
If so, I ended up having use a solicitor as they really did not care. I too was patient and polite. But I had to sue the dealer in the end (not same dealer as yours).

Wouldn,t be a stealership beginning with "R" would it. I've had so much fun dealing with them !

ddentrec said:
Did this DC girl, based at Milton Keynes, have the initials 'MP' perchance??

No - Head of Director Services was the department though - I daren't print her name as she has been nice to me!

Mike

IanAlexander2 said:
Wouldn,t be a stealership beginning with "R" would it. I've had so much fun dealing with them !

You can probably work it out from my location, Exeter Dealership being the nearest.

Mike

fuzzer said:
Go and have a look at a BMW 5 series . 530d , cracking car im really really impressed by it , feels a lot more special inside than our E 211 ever did.

Ok now I'm getting scared, you been following me? :cool:

Mike

MikeL said:
Ok now I'm getting scared, you been following me? :cool:

Mike

did you take my advice then ? :) lol

what model did you look at? Im sure the bigger engined ones V8's will be shedding value like stink

fuzzer said:
did you take my advice then ? :) lol

what model did you look at? Im sure the bigger engined ones V8's will be shedding value like stink

Fuzzer,

Going for a drive on Friday - the dealer very kindly showed me the M5 (the car not the motorway, sorry.... :) ). And I said, umhhh - the wife said "how Much!"

You are right though, I can't see the V8s flying out the door either at the moment.
Just checked on specs: the current straight six petrol (3.0) will out perform the 4.0 V8 of ten years ago, that is progress for you.

Apparently as from September the cars will have a few tweaks, the two that interest me are the BMW equivalent of keyless go (sad I know but it is kind of cool) and increased power and efficiency from the 6 cyl engines.

Mike

ps will check out the 530 petrol and diesel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom