SLK 350 - steering response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eng622

I've read the steering response on an SLK is not the best in the class, however having just driven my newly purchased one want to be reassured it does not have a fault. There is no play that I am aware of (I see this was an issue in a previous post) and turn in is quite good but could be a little sharper. The problem I'm getting is on straigtening up after turing in there feels to be inadequate castor. The wheel needs more effort than I expected and I do not feel at ease in trying to make a quick right/left or vice versa manoeuvre.

I've read the steering response on an SLK is not the best in the class, however having just driven my newly purchased one want to be reassured it does not have a fault. There is no play that I am aware of (I see this was an issue in a previous post) and turn in is quite good but could be a little sharper. The problem I'm getting is on straigtening up after turing in there feels to be inadequate castor. The wheel needs more effort than I expected and I do not feel at ease in trying to make a quick right/left or vice versa manoeuvre.

I did not notice the noise I have now when test driving the car I recently purchased but having driven it for only a few miles there is something not right. To make matters worse the car had a full service less than 1K miles ago.
With the bonnet open there is a high pitched noise coming from the right hand front of the engine (passenger side) and I think is from an ancilliary. There are so many belts and engine driven ancilliaries and I have no engine ID picture so unsure of what I am looking at.
Any clues as to what it might be. It is loudest on tickover but at higher revs I guess is less prominent as drowned by the general increase in noise level. However if I blip the throttle the noise is close to a whistling one.

Hmmm. I wonder if these two symptoms are in fact related.

Heavy steering. High-pitched screeching coming from the engine bay.

This (to me anyway) points towards the power steering system. The reservoir will be a small-ish black plastic bottle directly on top of the PS pump, identified by being on the front of the engine, and around which will be the main serpentine drive belt.

Or, possibly, the belt could be too slack, causing the noise and the stiff steering. This could be due to a tensioner which is not operating as it should, or the belt itself about to enter oblivion.

Anyway - a couple of things to have a look for to be getting on with. Both of these should be relatively inexpensive to fix - particularly the first one.

Would the car not fire a code or warning at you.

Does the steering "groan" at all.

Has it full power assistance?

My SLK 350 doesnt seem to have any steering issues mentioned in posts on here. Feels very positive both straight line at high speed and corners like its on rails and effortless !!!

Dont know where your located But a great place to get your steering and suspension checked and set up is cartinex in Melton Mowbray

http://www.carnetix.co.uk/

Last edited:
What is the "Direct Steering" option you can get on SLKs?

My SLK280 has fairly weighty steering but no noises and feels fine. The steering is a touch heavier than I've had in other cars, I quite like it, it doesn't feel overassisted.

Checked the PAS fluid level and it is at minimum for 20 c, so looks to be no problem there.
The belt I can deflect around 1/2 inch on the longest free part between alternator a upper pulley, so cannot see a problem there.
The whining noise appears to be from the PAS pump below the reservoir.
Any suggestions, are pumps a weak point on this model

Hey!!! my first post reply for what seems like months:D

A couple of things to also check:

I'm pretty certain that all the six cylinder model year "55" SLK's needed a re-call for a noisy bearing replacement on a pulley near the top/side of the engine. Your local MB service dept should be able to confirm either way on this.

Another is that some A/C compressors on the same model year were, or became, a tad noisy when steering lock was applied. I dont see or understand a connection but it is/was a fact.

The self centering effect, or lack of, is a bit lax on these compared to others, even with "Direct Steer" or "Parametric Steer"

All the above I have suffered and had corrected at some point with the exception of the lax self centering however, it seems to dissapear when all the fluids, oils and engine become warm:confused::dk:

Regards,
Portzy.

There is someone on SLK World who appears to have the same whining noise that I have. His car is 05, mine 55, his car has done 55K, mine 57K. To much of a coincidence? Now he took his to an indy and they think it is the pump. My noise seems to be also coming from the pump but difficult to be sure and it could be the idler pulley bearing I guess. Any other things I can test easliy. Anybody know a good indie Nottm./Derby area. It would be nice the get a free inspection and I don't want the sort of hassle 'leave it with us Sir' and then be faced with a whacking bill. The chap mentioned said a MB garage wanted £140 + VAT just to look at it to diagnose the fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom