SLK 55 Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WelshManJames

Car
Jaguar XK 4.2 2008, Audi A4 2.0 TDI 2020
Hi All,

Currently have a Jaguar XK 4.2 as my weekend / fun car, looking to replace it with a SLK55 AMG R171.

Any advice on what to look out for or anything that should have been carried out. Looking at cars upto 80,000 miles.

Thanks,
James

If you definitely won't consider anything over 80K miles, stop reading now. If you'd consider one on 120k miles, but with tons of history, ask the mods to let you send me a PM with your email address and I'll tell you more.

Jeremy Clarkson, who actually spent his own money on a black SLK 55 just like mine, described it as 'fast and hard and brutal, a doddle in town, brilliant on a sunny day, easy to park, as fast as a comet , good-looking, exciting, noisy and enormous fun'.

It's a 2005. I had an XK4.2 too; it was a slug by comparison... ;)

You’ll find lots of these cars have had a lot of owners. To be absolutely honest, impeccable history and mileage is much, much better than patchy history and low mileage. If you manage to find impeccable history AND low mileage, very well done!
If looking at cars with the six pot front and four pot rear calipers, make sure the front discs are in good condition, both inside and out, or you will be spending a grand pretty quickly.
Fwiw I have a black one too. Mine is not for sale :)

I've just bought a 172, so the 171 has to go.

Wish I was still in the market for an R171, but management totally veto'd a 55 when I told her the BHP etc, so I had to settle for a 280, didn't think of looking for a debadged 55! Would love to have the V8, even though I would be unlikely to use the performance - the 280 has herself digging fingernails into both side of her seat if my right foot gets a little heavy, I suspect the same thing in a 55 would get me serious earache, MIL diet etc.!!

Absolutely had that earache when I had mine, funnily enough my wife loved the car as much a I did , except when I opened it out properly 😂 Buying a Cockapoo puppy has put paid to any thoughts of replacing it unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom